Coronavirus (COVID-19)

2 minutes ago, Michael W said:

Flights binned already. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-59424269

Wonder if the quick reaction is due to Delta hitting here first and the criticism that hit as a result. 

Think Delta hit India first and we we delayed putting them on the red list because we were trying to negotiate a trade deal. By the time we put them on it Delta was rampant here. Which might explain the speed this time.

41 minutes ago, Tynie Wickfield said:

We just don't know.   Been a while since the variant Klaxon sounded.  

I'm sure the vaccines will be more than enough just like the rest of them thus far.

Fairly sure a 2 percent reduction in efficacy was previously quoted for a bad variant Doesn't sound like much but would add a few more to the hospital total. Certainly not enough though to justify radical changes to rules or restrictions

Flights binned already. 
Wonder if the quick reaction is due to Delta hitting here first and the criticism that hit as a result. 

Probably that. I’m presuming this is the Botswana variant?

Makes sense to take some extra cautions until we can confirm the vaccines will do their job against it.

Apart from that. Nothing else I’m quite enjoying acting like Covid has fucked off.

1 minute ago, welshbairn said:

Think Delta hit India first and we we delayed putting them on the red list because we were trying to negotiate a trade deal. By the time we put them on it Delta was rampant here. Which might explain the speed this time.

I meant its first hit outside of India.

Hopefully it proves in time an overreaction, though can see why the government is a bit tetchy.

5 minutes ago, Michael W said:

Flights binned already. 

Very little hard evidence so far of any of the scary evasion/transmission being chatted about, and by some accounts it could just as easily burn itself out.

On Monday this variant hadn’t even been discovered - one of the issues here is that if we’re going to now panic over any and every scary sounding variant and red list countries at the drop of a hat, it gives other countries less incentive to screen for variants to the extent that we’d presumably like, if they know they’re heading for the naughty step.

5 hours ago, Detournement said:

If you look at the UKHSA report it shows that the response generated by natural immunity (N response) has stayed static over the past few months in the overall population despite high levels of infection which mean it should be increasing.

It's possible that people who were vaccinated without previously being infected won't ever generate the nucleoproteins (N response) that constitute natural immunity and will only have the vaccine immunity.

lol

32 minutes ago, Michael W said:

Flights binned already. 

While the pandemic phase continues, I'd like to hope they're simply covering their arses because of what happened last time. That said, this simply isn't a sustainable reaction for so many reasons - not least because this sort of thing is going to continue happening until the end of time. When does anything end otherwise? The virus is going to continue to mutate to evade a degree of immunity, but it's never going to take us back to square one. This is how human immune systems reach an equilibrium with respiratory illnesses. Plus, if it has any advantages over Delta it will already be seeded worldwide anyway.

Six African countries added to the travel red list. Flights banned and travellers must quarantine. This is due to the new variant of concern that is spreading rapidly in Botswana.

Edited by ICTChris

1 hour ago, Elixir said:

While the pandemic phase continues, I'd like to hope they're simply covering their arses because of what happened last time. That said, this simply isn't a sustainable reaction for so many reasons - not least because this sort of thing is going to continue happening until the end of time. When does anything end otherwise? The virus is going to continue to mutate to evade a degree of immunity, but it's never going to take us back to square one. This is how human immune systems reach an equilibrium with respiratory illnesses. Plus, if it has any advantages over Delta it will already be seeded worldwide anyway.

I don't think it will be the first either. As I said, hopefully in time it proves to be an overreaction. As we have seen, when things are done, it takes a very long time to undo them. The government has clearly acted quickly after what happened with India last time, trying to prevent a repeat. 

The panic is obvious given the measures are coming in quicker than usual. Temporary flight ban from 12 tomorrow, all arrivals from 4am on Sunday hotel quarantined and arrivals between Friday and Sunday made to isolate at homw and do the day 2 and 8 PCRs regardless of whether they already have the LFT booked. Also note that any non-UK or Irish resident is banned from entering if they've been in the six countries in the last 10 days. 

And yes, if it is more transmissible then it will get here. We will not be able to hide from it. 

Hypothesis on the large number of mutations seems to be that it likely occurred in a patient with HIV/AIDS who became chronically infected with it. In that area of the world the rate of HIV prevalence is horrific; up to 25% of the population in the countries now red listed.

It's bad enough that we're trying to coerce adults into taking vaccines.
But to suggest that we should do that to children as well when there's no clear benefit to them taking that vaccine (according to the JCVI) is beyond the pale.
You either support these passports or you don't. The half-way house you are suggesting makes no sense.
Think his point is that I might have to make my decision in the knowledge that passports may yet extend downwards. And he is right, that will have form most of my decision tbh, since a minimum of 50% of the people I decide for have now had covid and didnt have a shred of symptoms beyond day 1, its clear medical neccessity will inform precisely none of my decision.

Its an absolute fucking disgrace that I might have to vaccinate a previously infected child, to quite literlly NO benefit, to appease the political games of the SNP and allow her her place in society.

I do however, look forward to an explanation as to how this is moonhowling on my part.

But to suggest that we should do that to children as well when there's no clear benefit to them taking that vaccine (according to the JCVI) is beyond the pale.
You either support these passports or you don't. The half-way house you are suggesting makes no sense.
Think his point is that I might have to make my decision in the knowledge that passports may yet extend downwards. And he is right, that will have form most of my decision tbh, since a minimum of 50% of the people I decide for have now had covid and didnt have a shred of symptoms beyond day 1, its clear medical neccessity will inform precisely none of my decision.

Its an absolute fucking disgrace that I might have to vaccinate a previously infected child, to quite literlly NO benefit, to appease the political games of the SNP and allow her her place in society.

I do however, look forward to an explanation as to how this is moonhowling on my part.

15 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Why is vaccinating kids even a problem? I’d get mine vaccinated no problem, and they’ve had the virus.

Just realised I can get a booster as I’m over 40. Will get one this weekend.

4 minutes ago, Thorongil said:

Why is vaccinating kids even a problem? I’d get mine vaccinated no problem, and they’ve had the virus.

Just realised I can get a booster as I’m over 40. Will get one this weekend.

Why is medicating children against something they need no protection against, whixh shows no evidence of its stated aims, under pain of exclusion from normality a problem?

Take some time mate. Il wait.