Coronavirus (COVID-19)

So, I’ve been offline all day and missed the announcement.

I know that there will have been a raft of new draconian measures introduced today, as this thread informed me last night that this was guaranteed.  I believe they were to be an absolute disgrace, and a total minter.  What’s happened?  

Its mental that the people who were so desperate to score political points and sit astride the moral high horse shouting down at others have been so desperately unable to recognise/acknowledge progress of the pandemic/virus and how things have changed from March 2020.

Not directed at anyone on here, just mean in general when you see these twitter threads posted etc.

28 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

“LFTs will be allowed so as not to exclude the unvaccinated from society”…

Oh, btw you actually have to pay £20 to enter the pub.

Thats not correct.  The Scottish Government did not extend the vaccine passport / LFT's programme this afternoon.  Only applies to venues where you would currently need a vaccine passport.  No one is asking you to pay anything just to enter a pub   

“LFTs will be allowed so as not to exclude the unvaccinated from society”…

Oh, btw you actually have to pay £20 to enter the pub.

The Greens have specifically been pointing out that this addresses concerns about shutting out marginalised groups so I really can't see it being a paid for private test.

8 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

The Greens have specifically been pointing out that this addresses concerns about shutting out marginalised groups so I really can't see it being a paid for private test.

The Greens have already outed themselves as shameless Lib Dem level tagalongs in government so I'd take anything they say with a shovel of road salt. 

52 minutes ago, Detournement said:

The other side of the persecution coin concerns the anti-vaxxers.  Last week I went for a booster jag at a Nightingale Hospital in the north east of England. No signage on the main road or after taking the slip road. Drove around aimlessly but optimistically until we happened on the building. Made me about an hour late for my jag but that wasn't a problem.

On whingeing about the lack of directions,. I was told that anti-vaxxers were removing what were effectively temporary, free-standing road signs. Presumably their motives are benign rather than murderous, but I prefer to make these decisions myself.

Inability to find destinations is. admittedly, one of my many failings being in the 'couldn't find his arse with both hands' category. However, my daughter navigates like St Brendan and she found the place very hard to find. No-one in the hospital seemed remotely concerned by these acts of sabotage and I haven't seen any reference to these actions in the media.

14 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

I'm sure there will be a reason why you didn't simply google the directions before you left the house. 🤣

Myriad reasons including: I'd been there before when it was well sign-posted; the site is a desert of new road building; and my out-of-date Satnav doesn't recognise anything more recent than The Domesday Book.

LFTs now also permitted for entry to venues that require certification, but no extension of the scheme for now.
Cynically I think this is very calculated so that it seems like a win today then a slightly less severe kick in the balls down the line when the scheme is extended regardless.
I did think they were setting up a backtrack on vaccine passports last week.

How long till they get binned completely?

Interesting points there. I am beginning to wonder if they are just looking for a way out now and already accept that masks and vaccine passports don't work. I mean, they literally have to accept that neither make a difference. They can't simply ignore 18 months of evidence.
Problem is that they can't admit it now because they went balls deep on both.
Devi Sridhar has a new book coming out about how to avoid the next pandemic and what to learn from  this one.
How can it require an entire book to say "the only thing which works is vaccines, boosters and natural or acquired immunity through infection. Oh and if people in Scotland could stop deep-frying the shit out of everything and eating portions big enough for 6, we'd maybe have better outcomes next time". That's a pamphlet at best really.
Can someone write a book about how to avoid Devi?

2 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

Given the complexity of setting up a verifiable LFT system, I'd guess within 3 weeks if the numbers trajectory stays the same.

4 hours ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

Big mistake... allowing moonhowlers to fake LFTs. 

Clearly, no P&B member would flout the rules and undermine the Scottish Government's measures in any way by not doing as asked.

"Aye, right."

LFTs are hopeless anyway.

14 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Given the complexity of setting up a verifiable LFT system, I'd guess within 3 weeks if the numbers trajectory stays the same.

It's not summer 2020 (or even 2021) - binning vaccine passports should also mean binning LFT testing requirements.

From a business certainty POV actually having to take and verify an LFT would surely be worse than vaccine passports. I don't imagine many people are going to be risking 10 days in the Covid jail (especially in the lead up to Christmas) for the sake of a film, dinner or a few pints.

2 hours ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

Surely no government is stupid enough to make people pay for tests to get into places. You'd be as well shutting everything again.

If there's one thing the Scottish Government have shown us these past two years, it's that they're plenty stupid.

2 hours ago, Wee Bully said:

So, I’ve been offline all day and missed the announcement.

I know that there will have been a raft of new draconian measures introduced today, as this thread informed me last night that this was guaranteed.  I believe they were to be an absolute disgrace, and a total minter.  What’s happened?  

Probably because the SNP realised they'd look as embarrassing as Welsh Labour if they proceeded, tbh.

39 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

Sadly I think we're stuck with them and face masks until Easter time. It would be a monumental turn up for the books if they binned them before winter is done.

dream-of-spring.jpg

41 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

It's not summer 2020 (or even 2021) - binning vaccine passports should also mean binning LFT testing requirements.

From a business certainty POV actually having to take and verify an LFT would surely be worse than vaccine passports. I don't imagine many people are going to be risking 10 days in the Covid jail (especially in the lead up to Christmas) for the sake of a film, dinner or a few pints.

That's what I meant, the trouble and expense of setting up verifiable LFTs means it won't happen, and it will only speed up dropping vaccine passports as well. There will be a big campaign to encourage voluntary LFT testing before going out anywhere busy instead. imo..

Edited by welshbairn