Coronavirus (COVID-19)

10 hours ago, AlbionSaint said:

It makes you wonder whether they know something we don't...

Probably had the security services ensuring everyone in attendance was double jabbed or regularly tested before and after the event.

9 hours ago, Lyle Lanley said:

Nicola Sturgeon is to announce whether Scotland's vaccine passport system will be expanded to cover more venues.

The government has said that widening existing restrictions could be the only alternative to a new lockdown if Covid-19 cases rise during the winter period.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-59373799

They really are a bunch of arseholes. 

Ms Sturgeon previously told MSPs that exactly which businesses could be affected would be decided "on the basis of the data and the evidence".

Is that the 'data and evidence' that doesn't exist?

The Guardian have started pushing the "pandemic of the unvaccinated" line despite all the data showing that is not the case. Firstly in a laughable anonymous article on Sunday then today from a director of the Oxford Vaccine Group (partly owned by Bill Gates).

Funnily enough the UK government no longer publish vaccine splits on ICU admission.

8 minutes ago, Detournement said:

The Guardian have started pushing the "pandemic of the unvaccinated" line despite all the data showing that is not the case. Firstly in a laughable anonymous article on Sunday then today from a director of the Oxford Vaccine Group (partly owned by Bill Gates).

Funnily enough the UK government no longer publish vaccine splits on ICU admission.

Oh, the horror!

9 hours ago, Lyle Lanley said:

Nicola Sturgeon is to announce whether Scotland's vaccine passport system will be expanded to cover more venues.

The government has said that widening existing restrictions could be the only alternative to a new lockdown if Covid-19 cases rise during the winter period.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-59373799

They really are a bunch of arseholes. 

Spoiler alert: they introduce vaccine passports then still introduce further restrictions in the winter.

The absence of furlough means it'll be a 'only 5 people from 3 households at one time, unless it's Shrove Tuesday when an extra 12 people can meet, but they have to wear masks in the toilet but schools stay open' sort of restriction.

Edited by sparky88

25 minutes ago, AlbionSaint said:

Being double jabbed doesn't prevent transmission and tests are unreliable. At her age, there would be a high chance she could die from Covid, too.

At her age there's a high chance she could die from a lot of things.

44 minutes ago, AlbionSaint said:

You think it's okay that the super-rich influence policy which affects how the rest of us live our lives?

The super rich will always be able to try and influence policy. Kind of comes with the territory of being or getting super rich. There's certainly not a problem with him pumping money into the institute that has developed a highly effective Covid vaccine (sold at cost), as well as an effective malaria vaccine. The Oxford Vaccine Group have also been some of the most grounded and pragmatic scientists throughout the course of the pandemic.

Even Gates reckons the world will be back to true pre-pandemic normality by the end of next year.

59 minutes ago, Michael W said:

I oppose vaccine passports on two grounds: 

1) They are discriminatory and increased use of them excludes people from society. 

2) No evidence they work. Germany was held up as a model in this area and look what happened. If the measure cannot be proven to achieve its objectives, it should not be in place. 

I am pro-vaccination and was vaccinated as soon as I was able to get my vaccination. However  the exclusion of people from parts of society as a result of not being vaccinated isn't acceptable to me. I disagree with their choice but fundamentally they should not be forced to become vaccinated, particularly not against a backdrop of State-sponsored societal exclusion for failing to do so. 

I'm also increasingly worried about the divisions this is causing, which is starting to feel a bit dehumanising. In essence, some vaccinated people deriding the unvaccinated as nothing other than disease carriers and demanding they be "protected" from encountering them. We have highly successful vaccines that do that - the demands to have the unvaccinated barred from certain settings are a weird form of entitled behaviour that I can't comprehend. Some politicians in Europe are also scapegoating the unvaccinated for lockdown measures and whilst I accept the comments have some merit, the mannerisms of it are starting to feel very much divide/rule and it's not good for society. It's breeding hatred. 

This isn't the 'my mask protects you' stuff again; the primary purpose of the vaccine is that it protects the recipient. The societal benefit is the secondary benefit as there should be less of it going around. It is also apparent that we are all going to get the virus eventually, vaccinated or not. 

People should be encouraged to get vaccinated, but should not be forced to, which is ultimately where this is going. 

This is a very good post, and explains ultimately how things like vax passports or mandatory vaccine legislation are an admittance that policy makers and scientists have failed to convincingly put their case across about why folk should choose to get themselves vaccinated. By resorting to such sweeping, crude measures all it does is play into the hands of anti vaxxers and further convince them that they were right all along.

1 minute ago, Big Fifer said:

This is a very good post, and explains ultimately how things like vax passports or mandatory vaccine legislation are an admittance that policy makers and scientists have failed to convincingly put their case across about why folk should choose to get themselves vaccinated. By resorting to such sweeping, crude measures all it does is play into the hands of anti vaxxers and further convince them that they were right all along.

Anti vaxxers are a tiny fringe group of moonhowlers though. If they want to exclude themselves from society that’s their right. 

3 minutes ago, Thorongil said:

Anti vaxxers are a tiny fringe group of moonhowlers though. If they want to exclude themselves from society that’s their right. 

Whilst I don't think vaccine passports are necessary, a side benefit would be reducing the chances of them filling up hospital beds and providing an excuse for retaining the remaining restrictions.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/nov/23/covid-patients-in-icu-now-almost-all-unvaccinated-says-oxford-scientist

Just now, welshbairn said:

Whilst I don't think vaccine passports are necessary, a side benefit would be reducing the chances of them filling up hospital beds and providing an excuse for retaining the remaining restrictions.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/nov/23/covid-patients-in-icu-now-almost-all-unvaccinated-says-oxford-scientist

As i pointed out earlier in the thread this guy is talking utter shite.

Hospital-211122.jpg

There are currently less than 500 unvaccinated hospital admissions a week of people u60 who have tested positive in the previous 28 days in the whole of the UK. And the 500 a week covers people admitted for other reasons and people who are unvaccinated due to medical advice.

It's not feasible that these admissions are filling up ICU. We don't have the ICU stats as the government stopped publishing them.

Edited by Detournement

1 hour ago, Michael W said:

I oppose vaccine passports on two grounds: 

1) They are discriminatory and increased use of them excludes people from society. 

2) No evidence they work. Germany was held up as a model in this area and look what happened. If the measure cannot be proven to achieve its objectives, it should not be in place. 

I am pro-vaccination and was vaccinated as soon as I was able to get my vaccination. However  the exclusion of people from parts of society as a result of not being vaccinated isn't acceptable to me. I disagree with their choice but fundamentally they should not be forced to become vaccinated, particularly not against a backdrop of State-sponsored societal exclusion for failing to do so. 

I'm also increasingly worried about the divisions this is causing, which is starting to feel a bit dehumanising. In essence, some vaccinated people deriding the unvaccinated as nothing other than disease carriers and demanding they be "protected" from encountering them. We have highly successful vaccines that do that - the demands to have the unvaccinated barred from certain settings are a weird form of entitled behaviour that I can't comprehend. Some politicians in Europe are also scapegoating the unvaccinated for lockdown measures and whilst I accept the comments have some merit, the mannerisms of it are starting to feel very much divide/rule and it's not good for society. It's breeding hatred. 

This isn't the 'my mask protects you' stuff again; the primary purpose of the vaccine is that it protects the recipient. The societal benefit is the secondary benefit as there should be less of it going around. It is also apparent that we are all going to get the virus eventually, vaccinated or not. 

People should be encouraged to get vaccinated, but should not be forced to, which is ultimately where this is going. 

Interestingly, a year ago I made a post on this thread that I was against vaccine passports, but I was not an anti vaxxer, I simply stated it didn't sit well with me that a society would exclude those who chose to refuse medical treatment. I was given 13 red dots for it. 

c***s that you all are