Coronavirus (COVID-19)

I've had a cold since I got back from Moldova and got tested today, negative though. What's good is that working from home is much more accepted here and I can get on with my sh*t still, without missing a day ( I feel fine enough to work, just don't want to spread whatever I have).

There's a huge uproar though over here that many places are going 2G including the Christmas markets, so if you're not vaccinated or recovered, you're fucked. 

10 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

There's a huge uproar though over here that many places are going 2G including the Christmas markets, so if you're not vaccinated or recovered, you're fucked. 

What's the feeling about 2G+ that the SG clearly have a hard on for?

8 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

What's the feeling about 2G+ that the SG clearly have a hard on for?

Bit mixed as far as I can tell talking to people. A lot of people think it's stupid because you could be positive even with the vaccine, and spreading it around, not to mention it excludes a lot of people who are not allowed to get a vaccine due to health issues. 

On the flip side, I think many are grateful that we're not going back into lockdown again, which kills business and is good for nothing. 

We've got a new government coming into play now though so it will likely be a slightly different approach from last year no matter what. 

Me? As long as deaths and hospitals are not rising like crazy (they're not) then allow people to do what they want. Happy enough to keep wearing a mask on the train etc for now.

Just to follow up on what I said before re my thoughts on why the divergence of measures between Scotland and England.....

If cases in England are dropping yet again, it begs a review of the FMs "not a minute longer than neccessary" chat.

Its fast becoming apparent that the spread of the virus cannot be controlled by anything short of locking everyone in their homes again. Its also becoming apparent that this isn't actually neccessary and has been so ever since vaccine coverage in the priority groups was reached.

A refusal to acknowledge the decreasong of ability/neccessity of controlling this virus is PURELY political and hence, we are now, IMO squarely in longer than beccessary territory.

England is diverging because of Boris and the power of 'libertarian' Tory MPs. Boris doesn't want to be the one who introduces this and keeps on making wee pointed acts of resistance like not wearing a mask in hospital or at the White House. 

Tory backbenchers are a law unto themselves and are able to swim against the tide on this just like they did on EU membership. 

Edited by Detournement

14 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Given Jason Leitch ‘comforted’ a grieving widow with ‘he was probably incubating it before hospital’ then surely this concept of vaccine passports and negative tests doesnt square with some of their theories? Its just safety theatre for the scotrail lovejoys.

The elephant in the room throughout for the NHS we have been asked to protect has been appaling infection control within it. No surprise to see this stance from Clownshoes tbh.

19 minutes ago, Barry Ferguson's Hat said:

Anti-vaxxer at my work has caught Covid and is really suffering. Has the cheek to complain that he's not being offered anything more than paracetamol for it. 

Tell him the P&B consensus is that congratulations are in order. If he pulls through obviously.

57 minutes ago, Barry Ferguson's Hat said:

Anti-vaxxer at my work has caught Covid and is really suffering. Has the cheek to complain that he's not being offered anything more than paracetamol for it. 

If he makes a conscious decision not to get vaccinated despite all the official messaging over the last 11 months then I have little sympathy for him.

I support his right not to be vaccinated but he has to live with the consequences of is decision.

14 minutes ago, Left Back said:

If he makes a conscious decision not to get vaccinated despite all the official messaging over the last 11 months then I have little sympathy for him.

I support his right not to be vaccinated but he has to live with the consequences of is decision.

Agreed. 

Someone we know is unvaccinated and so is her husband. She had a baby a few months ago and so whilst I can understand her not wanting to get it whilst pregnant, her husband not getting it is indicative of what their attitude is to the vaccine. There's been enough time since then to get it and she still hasn't. 

What I really don't get however is that both of her unvaccinated parents got covid and were in intensive care. Her dad is still very unwell and in hospital although her mum has been released. She's American and her parents very much of the #MAGA persuasion, so their vaccine refusal is not really not too much of a surprise. However, to see the mess her parents ended up in and still not getting it is something I find hard to fathom. Without meaning to sound too unkind, she is not old (mid-30s) but both her and her husband are firmly of the 'larger' build and are good candidates to become a hospital statistic. 

But overall, this is their choice and if they do get covid that's on them; the risks of covid are well known.  As I've said before, the majority of those that have not been vaccinated are not going to be persuaded - they have made their choice and that's it.