Coronavirus (COVID-19)

9 hours ago, ICTChris said:

Story on the BBC website about a leading civil servant who it seems died after contracting Covid and other infections while in the Queen Elizabeth hospital for a stem cell treatment.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-59322416

The part about Jason Leitch is pretty shocking.

I mean its just the latest in a long line of things Leitch has said or done which should be a resigning issue, he’s the Duke of Edinburgh of the Scottish Government with the gaffes. You’d think someone who’s supposed to be trained in reassuring people and being compassionate wouldn’t be so absolutely awful at it.

10 hours ago, Bob Mahelp said:

Exactly this. 

I honestly think that these rabid weirdos believe that because there's a half a dozen of them giving each other reach arounds, they actually speak for the majority of people in Scotland. 

I wonder what the end game of fanatics like Elixir, Oaksoft, Todd et all, is ? 

Is it to get everybody to agree with them ? Or is it....a year or two down the line, when the world returns to normality....they can say, hilariously, that they were right all along ? Or is it even that they're making constant childish political points ? 

Or is it that they're just pathetic wee saddos on the internet, posting 100 times per day, getting themselves into a perma-rage where they lose all sense of perspective or reason ? 

I suspect it's the latter. 

At least you’re handling it well.

On 16/11/2021 at 18:00, Detournement said:
As I said the other day high vaccine uptake and boosters don't change anything. 

Sweden is proving that a high level of natural immunity is the way to end this. 

On 16/11/2021 at 18:19, welshbairn said:

Every time someone has said this about Sweden in the past they've launched another record breaking run up the European record board and introduced new restrictions. Tack så mycket Detournement.

On 16/11/2021 at 21:00, Elixir said:

Why do you lie like this?

1 hour ago, ICTChris said:

Just saying...:rolleyes:

31 minutes ago, D.V.T. said:

This seems like good news

It should be, but more infectious == more cases (regardless of symptoms), and the people currently shouting loudest are those who want cases to be the barometer for more/continued restrictions. 

Edited by The Master

13 hours ago, oaksoft said:

I'm saying I'm not interested in setting fire to your strawman argument.

Away and bore someone else with your playground debating skills.

That seems slightly out of character.

Quoting someone's assertions verbatim is not a straw man.  On the other hand, labelling people of faith as fruitcakes because they believe in a sky fairy is a straw man.

Anyway, apologies to the forum for my part in taking the thread off on something of a tangent.  In order to loop back to the topic, I'd simply observe that while I disagree with many of the Scottish Government's decisions on Covid restrictions, the oft-repeated suggestion on here that they are influenced by their hatred of people having fun (at football, gigs, pubs, or wherever) seems pretty ridiculous.  That this hatred is shaped by the puritanical views and influence of religious groups (Wee Frees or otherwise), even more so.  

In Frankfurt, Germany, you can’t simply grab a burger inside a restaurant, go to an indoor pool or have a drink in an indoor bar. Before doing so, you have to present either certification of full vaccination, or a negative test result from the last 24 hours. To make this work, testing centres are literally at every corner (often in converted barber shops), with results available within 10-15 minutes (you can either wait for the result, or have it emailed to you). Testing is free for children under 12 (who cannot be vaccinated yet) and for those who cannot get vaccinated for medical reasons.

And these aren’t the only precautions. When in shops and on public transport, masks are required – and not cloth masks. Only surgical or FFP2 medical grade masks are permitted. And Oktoberfest, the largest beer festival in the world, was cancelled this year owing to limits on mass gatherings and international travel.

It’s not surprising, then, that Germany is managing to control its Covid epidemic and bring down the numbers of cases and deaths. England (and the UK) by contrast is seeing a sharp rise in cases. Deaths are now on the increase too: this week’s daily reported toll was the highest since March. While the UK government continues to ask people to be vigilant and keep calm and carry on, the clock is ticking. Time is running out to put in some basic measures to prevent a further spike in cases, the NHS becoming overwhelmed, and very possibly another lockdown. Germany, meanwhile, is keeping its economy and society running, and looks in a strong position heading into the bumpy winter months.

Devi Sridhar, 22 October 2021.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/oct/22/britain-control-covid-winter-lockdown-plan-b-vaccine-certification-masks

Germany, just four weeks later:

The head of Germany’s disease control agency has warned that the country faces a “really terrible Christmas” unless steps are taken to counter the sharp rise in coronavirus infections.

German lawmakers are debating measures today that would replace the nationwide epidemic rules, which will expire at the end of the month.

The Robert Koch Institute, Germany’s disease control agency, said on Thursday that 65,371 newly confirmed cases had been reported in a single day, continuing the upward trend that experts have been warning about for weeks. It is another new daily record.

Another catastrophic L for Sridhar then. It's far past time that clowns like her were held responsible for their bogus claims and punted to the dole queue. 

Edited by vikingTON

I can understand that the "get the Scottish Government in the sea" folk think they have now found something they think is another weapon - negative lateral flow tests - but can we all keep the heid please?  There's a lot of keech talked about these tests; kind of ironic when folk already complain about delays in accessing venues now seem to want to have to show 2 bits of 'evidence' instead of one, unless of course they want to use only the LFTs, which would be even more ridiculous.

If someone turns up at a venue showing an email saying that they have reported a negative test result... THAT'S ALL IT SHOWS.  Anyone who has ever reported one of these tests knows that it 'proves' nothing at all. All you do is scan a QR code (or type in a number) then select the result you WANT TO report. That report then triggers the email showing the result you reported. 

The person reporting it needn't have done the test.  Maybe nobody did - it could be sitting unused on the table. The result could have been unclear, or positive.  It's like writing "ah'm pure covid negative so ah um" on a bus ticket and expecting it to be accepted to allow admission.  

If 95%+ of the population have been triple vaccinated and case numbers are the square root of fek all, then maybe, but with folk like some on this site around, the likelihood of fraudulent "evidence" being presented is too high. Some eejits would probably even proudly post on here gloating that they had done it.  I wouldn't trust some of the folk on this site an inch. 

I was at a vaccine passport venue here yesterday. They are not mandatory in England, naturally, but venues can choose to operate them. I downloaded the PDF in case my app didn't work whilst I was there. 

What a complete and utter waste of time - cursory glance at a QR code and that was it. Could've been anyone's QR code, could also have been any fucking random QR code I found on the Internet. 

Proof of vaccine or negative LFT were the guidelines, with anyone that didn't have either of these asked to identify themselves so they can use alternative means. By this I assume they write their name and phone number in a book, which is also valueless. What are they supposed to do with that, exactly? Phone them if someone who had been and probably never went near them tests positive? 

Still, never mind. 

✔ Venue operator cares

❌ Will definitely prevent transmission 

❌ I felt safer 

9 minutes ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

I can understand that the "get the Scottish Government in the sea" folk think they have now found something they think is another weapon - negative lateral flow tests - but can we all keep the heid please?  There's a lot of keech talked about these tests; kind of ironic when folk already complain about delays in accessing venues now seem to want to have to show 2 bits of 'evidence' instead of one, unless of course they want to use only the LFTs, which would be even more ridiculous.

If someone turns up at a venue showing an email saying that they have reported a negative test result... THAT'S ALL IT SHOWS.  Anyone who has ever reported one of these tests knows that it 'proves' nothing at all. All you do is scan a QR code (or type in a number) then select the result you WANT TO report. That report then triggers the email showing the result you reported. 

The person reporting it needn't have done the test.  Maybe nobody did - it could be sitting unused on the table. The result could have been unclear, or positive.  It's like writing "ah'm pure covid negative so ah um" on a bus ticket and expecting it to be accepted to allow admission.  

If 95%+ of the population have been triple vaccinated and case numbers are the square root of fek all, then maybe, but with folk like some on this site around, the likelihood of fraudulent "evidence" being presented is too high. Some eejits would probably even proudly post on here gloating that they had done it.  I wouldn't trust some of the folk on this site an inch. 

I've read this multiple times, but still have no idea what your point is here?

32 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

I've read this multiple times, but still have no idea what your point is here?

For the reasons I set out, 'proof' of a negative LFT test is nothing of the sort.  It is to demonstrate that the folk wanting such 'proof' to be used instead of vaccine passports are simply wrong.  Some appear to think they are something that they just aren't. 

1 hour ago, Stellaboz said:

Yeah, cases are now here higher than they've ever been. However, death rates are relatively low. 

As I've said previously the whole of the country could have covid but the only thing that really matters is death rates. 

Speaking of cases, I was reading a report on Andrew Marr from when he had covid in the summer. He was double vaccinated and got it and the reporter said that was a "22,000-1 chance". Changed days 

2 minutes ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

For the reasons I set out, 'proof' of a negative LFT test is nothing of the sort.  It is to demonstrate that the folk wanting such 'proof' to be used instead of vaccine passports are simply wrong.  Some appear to think they are something that they just aren't. 

In the Netherlands they offer free LFTs in person at hundreds of venues across the country, mostly chemists, the results of which are uploaded onto their Covid app. Next to no chance of that happening here.

1 minute ago, Thereisalight.. said:

As I've said previously the whole of the country could have covid but the only thing that really matters is death rates. 

From the start the real measure should be hospitalisations, even more so than deaths.

32 minutes ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

Well, yeah. But Swinney is suggesting this 'proof' AND vaccine passports may be required to be allowed to go to the pub etc. This, while ultimately making little difference to just a vaccine passport as things stand (for the reasons you stated) will still put people off going because of the hassle. You may not need to take the test to register a result, but you still need to have the testing kit available. This in turn will lead to reductions in business income and associated job losses. For no benefit. To me that's unacceptable.

The SNP have an infuriating habit of doing things they see other countries doing, without considering why they are doing them and whether they are appropriate here. Their apparant obsession with not wanting to look like they care less than anyone at all is wearing incredibly thin.

Edited by Todd_is_God