Coronavirus (COVID-19)

6 minutes ago, Michael W said:

Utterly appalling lies on display here.

Just fucking stop. Never before had it been easier to disprove falsehoods. 

With Covid/due to Covid distinction being exploited here.

Given that infection rates have been higher than last year this might well be true of people in hospital who have tested positive recently.

Edited by Detournement

13 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

I've not seen the dentist in a while. You'd think with the Hard Winter coming in he'd be more prominent. Wonder why.

Maybe he's finally taking a step back to do his actual job and do a few scale and polishes, and fill in some chubby weans teeth?

1 minute ago, Michael W said:

Just fucking stop. Never before had it been easier to disprove falsehoods. 

Both iNews and the Guardian are basically the press wing of 'independent SAGE' at this point. They've long since been in the gutter.

Meanwhile, the NHS Providers Chief was saying yesterday that the NHS are actually acknowledging that we're now moving from the pandemic phase to the endemic phase, with concerns over the impact of restrictive measures on people's lives.

10 minutes ago, Elixir said:

Both iNews and the Guardian are basically the press wing of 'independent SAGE' at this point. They've long since been in the gutter.

Meanwhile, the NHS Providers Chief was saying yesterday that the NHS are actually acknowledging that we're now moving from the pandemic phase to the endemic phase, with concerns over the impact of restrictive measures on people's lives.

The quote is a direct one from the Chief Executive of NHS England. She has either lied here and the journalist published it with no independent verification, or the journalist has misquoted her out of context. Either way, a severe reprimand should be dished out.

Someone in the comments has said that they've taken the lowest number of hospitalisations from Sept 2020 and multiplied it by 14. 

At any rate, the article is unmitigated tripe and The i is publishing false information which risks carrying a significant degree of harm. Some may for example see the headline and decide the vaccines don't work, or start calling for societal restrictions based on what are false statistics.

1 hour ago, Michael W said:

Just fucking stop. Never before has it been easier to disprove falsehoods. 

The article has now been qualified as per the below. It includes an utterly worthless historical comparison and the misleading headline is still there. 

NHS England later clarified that Ms Pritchard misspoke and was referring to August 2021 compared with August 2020, the latest figures available. In August last year, 1,629 Covid positive patients were admitted to hospital compared to 22,877 in the same month in 2021.

4 hours ago, Michael W said:

Anyone able to recall how many people were within the JCVI priority groups for vaccination and therefore how far away we might be?. 

About 30 million people are eligible for boosters so we're about a quarter of the way there if the figures in this article are correct.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-59179851

I would question one of the figures though.  I though we'd administered about 10 million boosters so we'd be a third of the way there.  Maybe the 7 million mentioned in the article is England only but I can't believe the rest of the UK has administered 40+% of what England has done.

48 minutes ago, Left Back said:

About 30 million people are eligible for boosters so we're about a quarter of the way there if the figures in this article are correct.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-59179851

I would question one of the figures though.  I though we'd administered about 10 million boosters so we'd be a third of the way there.  Maybe the 7 million mentioned in the article is England only but I can't believe the rest of the UK has administered 40+% of what England has done.

I'd imagine there will be lots of over 50's who can't get one for at least a month yet ?

Killed the Daily Infection Summary as nothing really happening.

So here is a weekly update.

Total Cases Scotland 7 days 30th October to 5th November  were  17,957 to 18,767 up  4.51%, Positivity was 9.0% now 8.9%.  Cases per 100K were 328.5 now 343.3

Although we have moved up a little from the flatline, the discrepancies in different council areas are vastly different.  Dundee & Edinburgh huge decreases and now down in 26th & 30th places.  Glasgow still holding despite COP26 in 31st place.  On the flip side some really high rises in the more "rural" areas.  Auchinleck now pushing up the pyramid in more ways than semi-pro football.

Home Nations Daily Cases  per 100K update  :  UK Average  435.3 to 402.1 down 7.58%, England  435.8 to 399.7 down 8.28%, Wales 600.0 to 556.2 down 7.3%, Northern Ireland 450.8 to 428.8 down 4.88%

Cases in Europe in terms of increase in last week. Greece 66%, Austria 63%, Czech 59%, Ireland 51%, Poland 51%, Hungary 47%, Switzerland 47%, Norway 42%, Netherlands39%, Germany 31% all over 30% up.

Scotland  peaks in wave 4 at 817.1 for 1st Sep to 7th Sep, (UK was 392.1), Cases that day were 44,663 and positivity 12.5%

Scotland peaks in Wave 3 at 425.1 for 27th June to 3rd July, (UK was 229.9) . Cases that day were 23,222 and positivity 10.8%

Scotland  peaked in wave 2 at 301.9 for figures 29th Dec to 4th Jan, (UK was 642.1)    Cases that day were 16,496 and test positivity rate was 11.9%  

Council progress in last week as follows.

Click cases by neighbourhood to see the spread on the geographical map. 
https://public.tableau.com/profile/phs.covid.19#!/vizhome/COVID-19DailyDashboard_15960160643010/Overview

Western Isles   301.9 to 630.2  Up over 100% but only 167 active cases

Orkney Islands   473.2 to 598.2  Up over 25% but only 134 active cases

Clackmannanshire   633.7 to 563.5

East Ayrshire 377.5 to 518.1  Up over 37%   Auchinleck 1637 per 100K 

Angus 360.9 to 468.8  Up 30%

Stirling  382.7 to 437.9  

Dumfries & Galloway  293.3 to 437.0  Up nearly 50%

Scottish  Borders   315.9 to 429.5 Up well over 35%

Inverclyde  268.6 to 426.9  Up nearly 60%

Perth & Kinross   282.4 to 395.6  Up over 40%

Falkirk  330.1 to 391.8

Highlands 305.0 to 389.1   Up over 27%

Argyll & Bute  364.0 to 388.6 

West Lothian  415.1 to 382.4

North Lanarkshire   400.4 to 379.9 

Moray   319.7 to 370.9

Fife  412.2 to 368.1  Down over 10%

Aberdeenshire  459.4 to 364.7  Down over 20%

South Lanarkshire   320.7 to 361.3 

Aberdeen City  333.5 to 347.5

BELOW AVERAGE 

North Ayrshire  349.3 to 338.2 

East Dunbartonshire  323.7 to 335.6 

South Ayrshire  266.6 to 333.5  Up over 25%

West Dunbartonshire  324.9 to 324.9 

East Lothian  329.9 to 320.7

Dundee City   369.6 to 313.8 Down over 15%

Midlothian  295.2 to 290.9

East Renfrewshire  262.3 to 285.2

Renfrewshire  281.0 to 262.0  

City Of Edinburgh   278.4 to 228.2  Down over 18%

Glasgow City 218.7 to 220.6

Shetland Islands   131.2 to 161.8

Edited by superbigal

Few masks in Haarlem so far apart from bus from airport, none from staff or customers at the bar I'm in, but had to show Vax passport before they'd serve me, which was scanned. Seems our integration into the EU pass has gone live. Last week I would have needed a daily LFT, officially at least.

Places like Germany and the Netherlands mustn't be going far enough with their mask enforcement and vaccine passport societies!

Meanwhile, England has the lowest R rate of any country in Europe, oafttttt.

Edited by Elixir

9 minutes ago, GTee said:

Is this right? Proof of vaccination seems a bit pointless then. 🤷. Kind of thought the vaccines reduced transmission a bit. Who knows.

Screenshot_2021-11-09-00-44-08-746_com.android.chrome.thumb.jpg.ef1a3b225c8b6784bb4aebaf34d885ed.jpg

It's almost certainly true. But...

The words "can" and "could" have, over the last 20 months, been used disgracefully to allow "experts" and "MSM" to push whatever story ot narrative they want, regardless of likelihood.

For example, I can become a billionaire and could win the EuroMillions tomorrow. Neither are likely, but the statement would be just as true regardless.

Edited by Todd_is_God

6 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

The words "can" and "could" have, over the last 20 months, been used disgracefully to allow "experts" and "MSM" to push whatever story ot narrative they want, regardless of likelihood.

For example, I can become a billionaire and could win the EuroMillions tomorrow. Neither are likely, but the statement would be just as true regardless.

Aye. It just seems like anyone can catch it and pass it on regardless of vaccine status. So proof of vaccination isn't helping all that much.. I don't think. Maybe a wee bit..🤷

14 minutes ago, GTee said:

Aye. It just seems like anyone can catch it and pass it on regardless of vaccine status. So proof of vaccination isn't helping all that much.. I don't think. Maybe a wee bit..🤷

That's not quite the point I was trying to make, but I wholeheartedly agree RE: vaccine passports.

They, like masks, have been championed as a big reason cases across Europe were relatively low. Recent data, however, suggests that probably isn't true, and their impact severely overestimated.

Confirmation bias has been rife where covid restrictions / measures are concerned. Nonsense arguments were used (and accepted) to dismiss the anomaly of Sweden, however once the figures in England started plummeting recently you could sense the panic amongst the 'experts' - the trend in England casts serious doubt on the effectiveness of masks and passports and threatens to blow apart any remaining credibility they have.

Edited by Todd_is_God