Coronavirus (COVID-19)

I think it's just a nudge to get the auld duffers off their arse, tbf. Come next summer the epidemic will be over Europe wide so it will be irrelevant. Look what the folk behind the Oxford vaccine team have said regarding this. It's also an utter minefield for obvious reasons.

29 minutes ago, Elixir said:

I think it's just a nudge to get the auld duffers off their arse, tbf. Come next summer the epidemic will be over Europe wide so it will be irrelevant. Look what the folk behind the Oxford vaccine team have said regarding this. It's also an utter minefield for obvious reasons.

Strange - if the SG had announced / trailed this, you would be screaming “Minter”, and anyone suggesting that it is just to get people off their arise and get vaccinated would be called a Simp.

1 hour ago, Wee Bully said:

Strange - if the SG had announced / trailed this, you would be screaming “Minter”, and anyone suggesting that it is just to get people off their arise and get vaccinated would be called a Simp.

You mean like when all the good guys (correctly) identified the UK Gov's threat of vaccine passports was solely to drive vaccine uptake, only for the absolute morons in the "care more" brigade to fall for it, hastily introduce them in Scotland, and then be stuck with a useless measure that they can't roll back without admitting they fucked it?

Been on this planet for a wee while now. Never before been educated on when and how often to wash hands. Used to fill the sink and wash your hands and face sometimes, after a kick about. Sunday bath obviously. Never come across a bottle of hand 'sanitiser' 🤷.  Not one shop I can remember sold such a product until recently.  Eating a sandwich or a packet of crisps with 'fool' hands was normal. It's quite incredible how humans have survived many centuries without sanitising after touching stuff. 😉😄

Been on this planet for a wee while now. Never before been educated on when and how often to wash hands. Used to fill the sink and wash your hands and face sometimes, after a kick about. Sunday bath obviously. Never come across a bottle of hand 'sanitiser' [emoji1745].  Not one shop I can remember sold such a product until recently.  Eating a sandwich or a packet of crisps with 'fool' hands was normal. It's quite incredible how humans have survived many centuries without sanitising after touching stuff. [emoji6][emoji1]

Semmelweis just called you a dick.

5 hours ago, beardy said:
8 hours ago, GTee said:
Been on this planet for a wee while now. Never before been educated on when and how often to wash hands. Used to fill the sink and wash your hands and face sometimes, after a kick about. Sunday bath obviously. Never come across a bottle of hand 'sanitiser' emoji1745.png.  Not one shop I can remember sold such a product until recently.  Eating a sandwich or a packet of crisps with 'fool' hands was normal. It's quite incredible how humans have survived many centuries without sanitising after touching stuff. emoji6.pngemoji1.png

Semmelweis just called you a dick.

Was not a very good drunken 'rant'. Please ignore. Cheers.

Been on this planet for a wee while now. Never before been educated on when and how often to wash hands. Used to fill the sink and wash your hands and face sometimes, after a kick about. Sunday bath obviously. Never come across a bottle of hand 'sanitiser' [emoji1745].  Not one shop I can remember sold such a product until recently.  Eating a sandwich or a packet of crisps with 'fool' hands was normal. It's quite incredible how humans have survived many centuries without sanitising after touching stuff. [emoji6][emoji1]

Sort of guy that when asked about global warming responds with "The planet has been heating up and cooling down throughout time, we survived the industrial revolution so it'll be fine".

There is quite clear 'nudging' going on with the boosters - Javid and Johnson have both been agitating about them and how critical they are. We hit 10m boosters across the UK yesterday, with Johnson saying more are needed. The subtext is pretty clear: get your booster or we'll bring in restrictions. Anyone able to recall how many people were within the JCVI priority groups for vaccination and therefore how far away we might be?

Travel, though, I don't think is a nudge. The implication of what the Mail reported - take that however you wish - would be everyone in the UK and abroad, regardless of age, will need a booster to avoid tests and quarantine. Currently, the boosters will not be delivered to anyone outside the JCVI priority groups, so anyone under the age of 50 who is not clinically vulnerable is screwed. I don't know what other countries are doing regards boosters, but I imagine ot also means that the vast majority of non-UK residents are also screwed. The policy would be utterly destructive and hopefully will never see the light of day.

Other countries are starting to set expiry limits on second doses. Israel has done it, as has Austria. I'm not aware of others doing so at the moment but others will likely follow. This is also problematic because very few countries have set our a three dose regime or are offering boosters. Israel is doing boosters and the UAE I think went to thee doses because Sinovac wasn't very good as a two-dose, but the third doses in general are not widely spread. These things leave two options: 

1) Everyone will need a booster and we have yet another round of vaccine goalpost shifting; or

2) The booster dose is immediately made available privately to anyone who needs it for travel. 

Ultimately, this looks to me like the UK getting in on the act early. As I said, hopefully that never sees the light of day, but the direction of travel here, if you will excuse the pun, is concerning. I think there will be quite a lot of countries changing their policies and setting expiry dates on second doses, with or without merit. 

11 minutes ago, Empty It said:
9 hours ago, GTee said:
Been on this planet for a wee while now. Never before been educated on when and how often to wash hands. Used to fill the sink and wash your hands and face sometimes, after a kick about. Sunday bath obviously. Never come across a bottle of hand 'sanitiser' emoji1745.png.  Not one shop I can remember sold such a product until recently.  Eating a sandwich or a packet of crisps with 'fool' hands was normal. It's quite incredible how humans have survived many centuries without sanitising after touching stuff. emoji6.pngemoji1.png

Sort of guy that when asked about global warming responds with "The planet has been heating up and cooling down throughout time, we survived the industrial revolution so it'll be fine".

You're almost there. Yes the planet is cooling down compared to when it was formed but it will take a massive amount of time before it becomes a ball of ice.

In the meantime the main issue for mankind, and the planet, is likely to be the pollution levels and the damage to the ozone layer - and they have an effect upon temperatures by raising them. Some of that cannot be controlled and some might be able to be controlled or slowed down. Other sources such as volcanic action cannot be controlled at all - the planet dictates to everyone on it.

There is also the using up of the natural resources of the planet at an unsustainable level, without damage to other life forms, by the ever increasing human population. Releasing those resources needs energy. In general terms disposing of them means recycling in some form or other. Dumping in landfill or at sea is a massive issue in this respect.

Having said all that it is sensible to acknowledge that sea levels were much lower thousands of years ago, so low that the Mediterranean Sea was not connected to the Atlantic Ocean and the eastern and southern coasts of the Britain were connected by land to continental Europe, and in the west Ireland was connected to the UK.

It is fair comment to say that the rising sea levels which linked the Med to the Atlantic and cut off mainland Britain from Ireland and the Continent was nothing, whatsoever, to do with human beings.

I remember a few months back cant remember when exactly and some countries in europe were spiking, Leitch said he thought it was most likely related to immunity levels dropping after 2nd shot, he said he thought it was because those countries did the 1st and 2nd shot quickly and Scotland had waited longer and this seemed to show the immunity level stayed higher longer. He mentioned that they are testing the blood of some of the first people to receive 2 shots and there was no sign at that time of saying that there was any drop in immunity. 

They must have a clear picture now how long immunity lasts for and what difference things like time between 2 doses has?

Edited by BigDoddyKane

17 minutes ago, BigDoddyKane said:

I remember a few months back cant remember when exactly and some countries in europe were spiking, Leitch said he thought it was most likely related to immunity levels dropping after 2nd shot, he said he thought it was because those countries did the 1st and 2nd shot quickly and Scotland had waited longer and this seemed to show the immunity level stayed higher longer. He mentioned that they are testing the blood of some of the first people to receive 2 shots and there was no sign at that time of saying that there was any drop in immunity. 

They must have a clear picture now how long immunity lasts for and what difference things like time between 2 doses has?

Leitch 😂

15 hours ago, Todd_is_God said:

If they say its "To stop the spread of new variants" they can f**k off. They quite openly discuss now that, whilst the vaccines are really good at reducing the severity of incfections, they don't really stop you catching it or passing it on.

If they wanted to stop new variants they would be sending the extra doses of the vaccine round the world to end the pandemic. Rather than stuck in a constant booster, 3rd dose cycle.

14 hours ago, Wee Bully said:

For the avoidance of doubt to Simps such as yourself, I hold the UK Government in equal contempt as the Scottish Government over the course of the pandemic, particularly when it comes to international travel. While they have still been deceitful in what they publish to the media to drive public behaviour, the diversion of the two countries since 19 July is what has led to even greater scrutiny of the diddies in Holyrood over when they plan on letting us take grown up decisions for ourselves like people south of the border, without the threat of legal punishment.