Coronavirus (COVID-19)

12 hours ago, Billy Jean King said:
14 hours ago, deegee said:
I’m in Ireland with work this week and at my usual spot (Trim, Co. Meath). Lovely little town and 40 mins max from my main customer in Dublin. I popped out for a Guinness and they are still track & tracing at the bar, need vaccine passport and no standing at the bar. They’ve got the plastic shields up at bar which at least allows them to stick 2-3 tables and chairs, to get a few more folk in the place.
I’m quite surprised as I thought they had moved forward from their more severe and crippling (to business) lockdown measures.

Norn Iron was the exact same at the weekend although they finally relaxed some restrictions at midnight last night. Popular pubs in Belfast booked tables only and no standing with table service only everywhere and track and trace plus 3 max in taxis. Down Royal was all managed queues, one way systems and it was vaccine passports at a cordon then again at the entrance. Rangers fans flying back on Thursday thought Scotland was heaven in comparison !!!

Have they tightened restrictions in the last few weeks? I was in Belfast at the start of October and it was nothing like this. Didn’t book a single pub we went to, restaurants/pubs had no plastic shields or one way systems, plenty of people standing at bars.

25 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Have they tightened restrictions in the last few weeks? I was in Belfast at the start of October and it was nothing like this. Didn’t book a single pub we went to, restaurants/pubs had no plastic shields or one way systems, plenty of people standing at bars.

I haven’t been in the North since my and the other half had a staycation on the North Coast in August. There wasn’t supposed to be standing at the bar from memory. In the South, they’ve been all over the place with rules. “Wet bars” were closed a lot longer than in Scotland, however hotels could serve alcohol to residents far earlier in the year but not to locals. This lead to many workmen simply booking hotels whenever/ wherever they were working, which in turn lead to more cases of the virus been exported throughout the country!

I was just reading here today that kids need to prebook tickets for nightclubs, have to wear masks and stand 1metre apart in queue at the bar etc.

Basically, as was said last night by the bar manager where I was, it’s all political and not a shred of medical- based rules.

Edited by deegee
Spelling

52 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Belfast, tbf, isn't in Ireland.

No idea but it was pretty tight at the weekend, like her back in June basically although as I said they had a relaxing including nightclubs reopening and "vertical drinking " on Halloween

30 minutes ago, Snafu said:

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/health/covid-scotland-government-will-not-hesitate-to-strengthen-restrictions-if-needed-says-humza-yousaf-3442128

"There are early signs that case numbers may increase again hereafter, and so the situation remains precarious."

He added: “The Scottish Government continues to explore all options for how to respond to the evolving pandemic.

"We will not hesitate to strengthen the protective measures in place if it proves necessary to do so.”

“We see a continued high number of cases, which means that the NHS remains under more pressure than at any time during its 73-year history.”

Relentless aren't they?

And with no clear fix it or end plan. Still clueless on how to deal with issues such as the NHS being unable to cope. They have had a year and a half to adapt and nothing has really been done, yep throw 10m at it now for a make do and give yourselves a big pat on the back.

Will we end up with heavier restrictions back if we have a flu outbreak this winter?

They aren't clueless - they've just dug themselves a hole with their care more pish.

The NHS pressures could be eased immediately if they treated Covid like any other virus, forced GPs to see patients, and got their staff who aren't actually sick back to work.

They don't, though, as it seems taboo to accept that Covid in Scotland in November 2021 is miles away from the much deadlier Covid in Scotland in January 2021*.

Daily case numbers and hospital numbers are essentially flat, and they told us around ⅓ of hospital cases are not actually in hospital for treatment of Covid. Humza must know that information is easily available. Why must they so desperately lie?

There will be no further restrictions unless they are introduced in England, as the SG won't want to pay for them. It's the classic "what we'd do if only we could" trope from the SNP which appears successful in gaining support from those who can see them do no wrong.

Come March they will hail masks and vaccine passports as being the reason the NHS was able to get through winter, despite it being almost certain neither made any difference whatsoever.

*The public in general, of course, accept this, which is why pubs and football stadiums are packed out regularly.

Edited by Todd_is_God

1 hour ago, Todd_is_God said:

They aren't clueless - they've just dug themselves a hole with their care more pish.

The NHS pressures could be eased immediately if they treated Covid like any other virus, forced GPs to see patients, and got their staff who aren't actually sick back to work.

They don't, though, as it seems taboo to accept that Covid in Scotland in November 2021 is miles away from the much deadlier Covid in Scotland in January 2021*.

GP’s are seeing patients.

When is Sturgeon going to drop the theatre? I also can't wait to see the gormless flailing from the likes of Sridhar and Bauld after COP26 has made no difference to infection levels. The Good Guys / Main Event will be right... yet again.

2 hours ago, Snafu said:

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/health/covid-scotland-government-will-not-hesitate-to-strengthen-restrictions-if-needed-says-humza-yousaf-3442128

"There are early signs that case numbers may increase again hereafter, and so the situation remains precarious."

He added: “The Scottish Government continues to explore all options for how to respond to the evolving pandemic.

"We will not hesitate to strengthen the protective measures in place if it proves necessary to do so.”

“We see a continued high number of cases, which means that the NHS remains under more pressure than at any time during its 73-year history.”

Relentless aren't they?

And with no clear fix it or end plan. Still clueless on how to deal with issues such as the NHS being unable to cope. They have had a year and a half to adapt and nothing has really been done, yep throw 10m at it now for a make do and give yourselves a big pat on the back.

Will we end up with heavier restrictions back if we have a flu outbreak this winter?

Don’t think we will have restrictions back in place as they know the vast majority of the country will ignore them. 

2 hours ago, Lyle Lanley said:

Don’t think we will have restrictions back in place as they know the vast majority of the country will ignore them. 

Do you think so mate? The levels of mask compliance is still very high from what I see (even if I have basically ditched wearing mine). Even more so, a load of folk still act terrified if you walk within 2metres of them in the shops.

Hard rules like restrictions on folks meeting as well as travel restrictions haven’t a hope in being implemented but I think the bigger challenge is unpicking folks’ fears and the absurd compliance to bonkers’ rules.

This chart demonstrates perfectly why 100k a day (and the SGs ludicrous 44k per day) won't happen. There simply aren't enough potential hosts to sustain the indefinite growth required to get there.

Flatter lines stay relatively flat over extended periods. Spikes quickly burn out and fall off a cliff.

We're so far beyond "we just don't know" that we know exactly what will happen.

20211102_212621.jpg

Total, total own-trumpet blowing, but here’s some science wot I done.

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2021.11.02.21265755v1

Two mutations, both common in people with African ancestry. People who carry both mutations (maybe around 5% of black people in the UK) might have a higher risk of hospitalisation and death if they get Covid.