Coronavirus (COVID-19)

The absolute state of it. iZT8ghc.png

Barely two days ago and now cases continue to nosedive for the fourth day in a row. Naturally we won't hear of any apologies or corrections for their woefully wrong, scaremongering pish. This sort of nonsense should see people removed from their positions.

A prominent adviser to the government on Covid-19 has said he is very fearful of another Christmas lockdown, as he urged the public to do everything possible to reduce the spread of the virus.

Prof Peter Openshaw, a member of the New and Emerging Respiratory Virus Threats Advisory Group (Nervtag), said the current number of cases and deaths rates were unacceptable, and reiterated the importance of measures such as working from home and mask wearing.

His intervention comes after the prime minister resisted calls from health leaders, including the head of the NHS Confederation and the council chair of the British Medical Association, who urged “categorically” that the “time is now” for tighter restrictions.

Speaking in a personal capacity, Openshaw told BBC Breakfast on Saturday that he feared “another lockdown Christmas if we don’t act soon”. He said: “We know that with public health measures the time to act is immediately. There’s no point in delaying. If you do delay then you need to take even more stringent actions later. The immediacy of response is absolutely vital if you’re going to get things under control.”

He said getting measures in place now in order to “get transmission rates right down” was key to having “a wonderful family Christmas where we can all get back together”.

Openshaw said it was “unacceptable to be letting this run at the moment … I think hospitals in many parts of the country are barely coping actually. Talking to people on the frontline, I think it’s just not sustainable to keep going at this rate.”

Openshaw said: “At one stage last week there were 180 deaths in a single day. That is just too many deaths. We seem to have got used to the idea that we’re going to have many, many people dying of Covid and that I think is just not the case,.”

He urged the public to take matters into their own hands to slow down transmission of the virus, rather than waiting for the government to reintroduce measures, including avoiding public transport and crowded spaces if possible, getting vaccinated and accepting the offer of the booster jab.

“The sooner we all act, the sooner we can get this transmission rate down, and the greater the prospect of having a Christmas with our families,” he said.

Trade union leaders representing 3 million frontline workers attacked the government’s “laissez-faire approach to managing the pandemic” on Friday. They said it risked “another winter of chaos” without urgent action, including mandatory mask wearing in shops and on public transport.

And at least a dozen local public health chiefs in England have broken from the government’s official guidance and recommended plan B measures, including mask wearing and working from home, to combat a surge in Covid infections in their areas.

🥴🥴🥴🥴🥴🥴🥴🥴🥴🥴

Daily Summary for @oaksoft :   Deaths 0 (21 day before),  ICU cases 57 down 1  (21 new admissions),  In hospital with confirmed Covid 902  up 3  (? new admissions).    

Figures for Jags.  1st Vaccines  2,789  2nd vaccines  3,015

Daily Cases Update: 2nd day in a row with a tiny fall, today 1.00% and looks like another tiny fall tomorrow.  Still think we are stuck at 300+ for a while yet.  Interesting that 25 of the councils are now within 25% above or below the average.

Glasgow in 28th place is astonishing. Be very easy to see if Cop26 does have an effect.

@Todd_is_God can see below the rest of the UK is still actually rising in terms of 7 day figures.

Much of Europe is surging as well in terms of weekly increase. Czech up 124%, Poland up 94% the uickest risers.

Total Cases Scotland 7 days 16th October to 22nd October  were  17,883 to 17,705 down 1.00%, Positivity was 9.0% now 8.9%.  Cases per 100K were 327.2  now 323.9

Home Nations Daily Cases per 100K update  :  UK Average   476.3 to 486.9 up 2.23%, England  477.0 to 488.5 up 2.41%, Wales 727.0 to 732.8 up 0.80%, Northern Ireland   469.4 to 475.2 up 1.19%

In Europe for travellers (Countries Population over 3 Million) Serbia 569 (weekly change up 13%), Romania 549 (weekly up 4%), Croatia 428 (weekly up 73%), Bulgaria 419 (Weekly up 46%),  Slovakia 349 (weekly up 61%), Ukraine 310 (Week up 43%), Ireland  295 (Weekly up 23%), Moldova 286 (Weekly up 16%), Belgium 252 (Week up 47%), Austria 252 (Week up 57%), Greece 217 (Week up 32%) These are the only countries over 202 cases per 100K.   The Baltic states Latvia 913, Lithuania 733, & Estonia 718 with smaller populations are in a bad way 

Scotland  peaks in wave 4 at 817.1 for 1st Sep to 7th Sep, (UK was 392.1), Cases that day were 44,663 and positivity 12.5%

Scotland peaks in Wave 3 at 425.1 for 27th June to 3rd July, (UK was 229.9) . Cases that day were 23,222 and positivity 10.8%

Scotland  peaked in wave 2 at 301.9 for figures 29th Dec to 4th Jan, (UK was 642.1)    Cases that day were 16,496 and test positivity rate was 11.9%  

Council progress in last 24 Hours as follows.

Click cases by neighbourhood to see the spread on the geographical map. 
https://public.tableau.com/profile/phs.covid.19#!/vizhome/COVID-19DailyDashboard_15960160643010/Overview

Clackmannanshire 598.6 to 586.9    

East Ayrshire 478.6 to 474.5     Kilmarnock South & Cap again at 1,821 per 100K.  Is that the Screws & Lags licking each other again ? 

West Lothian   471.1 to 449.4  

Stirling 444.3 to 435.8  

Fife   428.2 to 425.3

North Lanarkshire   405.4 to 403.6  

Falkirk  432.2 to 402.3  Decent near 7% fall.

East Dunbartonshire     374.3 to 377.0   Still rising

South Lanarkshire    378.1 to 351.3 Decent fall over 7%

Aberdeenshire  325.2 to 345.1  Jumps 5 places

Dundee City  337.3 to 339.3 

Scottish  Borders   361.0 to 339.3  

West Dunbartonshire 319.2 to 333.9 Still rising up 4 places

BELOW AVERAGE

East Renfrewshire 330.0 to 323.8 Falls below average

Perth & Kinross    310.1 to 319.9  Another constant riser up another 4 places

East Lothian   312.3 to 319.7

Angus   331.5 to 319.5

North Ayrshire    320.3 to 315.8

Argyll & Bute    299.7 to 311.4  

South Ayrshire  326.4 to 305.9  

Renfrewshire  303.8 to 288.2  

Moray  268.5 to 281.1

Highlands  265.5 to 280.8

Dumfries & Galloway  279.2 to 278.5

Inverclyde    275.1 to 276.3

Western Isles    290.6 to 264.2  Tourists in South Lewis

Aberdeen City   242.3 to 253.2

Glasgow City   247.8 to 243.5

Midlothian 223.3 to 229.7 

City Of Edinburgh   228.4 to 226.7

Orkney Islands  232.1 to 218.8

Shetland Islands   74.3 to 65.6

Edited by superbigal

24 minutes ago, Eatmygoal said:

You can argue the toss about whether vaccine passports are helpful or ethically sound.

But surely they exist to stop those without proof of vaccine getting into certain venues. I don't understand why the numbers of refusals are being held up as evidence of the policy being a failure. Surely it's the opposite?

It depends. Assuming you agree they are they right thing to do, if refusal of entry is due to a person not meeting the criteria of entry then its not the system itself's fault.

If, however, the people refused entry did meet the criteria, but an issue with the system denied them entry then that is, of course, unacceptable.

I don't think the article gives the answer.

You can argue the toss about whether vaccine passports are helpful or ethically sound.
But surely they exist to stop those without proof of vaccine getting into certain venues. I don't understand why the numbers of refusals are being held up as evidence of the policy being a failure. Surely it's the opposite?
The problem with the media is they have had a really bad tendency of overplaying everything in this pandemic - they genuinely aren't interested in good news or proper investigative journalism.

Good journalists should be challenging vaccine passports on the basis that they are a restriction of civil liberties not just headline grabbing about the logistical issues of vaccine passports.

10 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

It depends. Assuming you agree they are they right thing to do, if refusal of entry is due to a person not meeting the criteria of entry then its not the system itself's fault.

If, however, the people refused entry did meet the criteria, but an issue with the system denied them entry then that is, of course, unacceptable.

I don't think the article gives the answer.

Agreed, there is a big distinction to make.

If people are being wrongly turned away then it's a farce.

If however people are rightly (under the current legislation, not necessarily my view, though I do see more of an argument for confined places like nightclubs) being turned away then the system is doing exactly what it's designed to do.

19 minutes ago, Left Back said:

Linda Bauld on the One Show saying “we’re in a period where cases are rising in Scotland”.

The vaccine passports must be doing bits!

Bauld is either thick as mince or has an agenda.

45 minutes ago, Left Back said:

Linda Bauld on the One Show saying “we’re in a period where cases are rising in Scotland”.

Why do they lie like this? The data is there for all to see - it has genuinely never been easier to call bullshit when it's spouted. 

And they wonder why people have stopped listening. 

24 minutes ago, Elixir said:

The vaccine passports must be doing bits!

Bauld is either thick as mince or has an agenda.

The second is more likely - they know there are a large number who will listen and repeat "cases are rising" without taking a minute to check whether that is true, or have even the slightest idea where they could check.

5 minutes ago, Michael W said:

Why do they lie like this? The data is there for all to see - it has genuinely never been easier to call bullshit when it's spouted. 

And they wonder why people have stopped listening. 

No doubt someone will be along in a minute to tell me she never said that at all and I’m unable to hear correctly.

Found it, NHS Scotland COVID check.

Printed off my proof and the app struggled to scan it.

I'm guessing this is fairly common with printouts as I was speaking to a couple of people who went out at the weekend and both clubs they went into let them in when it wouldn't scan, 2nd club checked the name on the printout matched their photo ID.

5 hours ago, Lyle Lanley said:

Edinburgh Hogmanay going ahead this year with full capacity which likely means no lockdown return or restrictions returning. 

Ourdoors along Princess St and the Mound areas and it needs a vaccine passport. Deary me 

2 hours ago, Eatmygoal said:

It makes it pointless when hundreds of staff, be it players, stewards, pie stall workers etc at football/rugby dont need a vaccine passport. Nice of covid to be able to distinguish between who's there as a worker and who's there as punter