Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Scotland's health secretary says there is "absolutely a risk" of Covid cases rising after the COP26 summit in Glasgow.

Humza Yousaf said he expects to see a spike in cases after 25,000 delegates descend on the city in a week's time.

Mr Yousaf said the Scottish government was not currently considering imposing more restrictions.

He also stressed that there were many mitigations in place to prevent Covid being transmitted at the conference.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-59027744

3 hours ago, oaksoft said:

The ultimate in embarrassing First World entitlement is to demand that other people inject themselves with a medicine completely against their wishes just to make you feel a little safer and then to call them selfish for not doing so.

Doesn't really work does it?

There's nothing particularly First World or Liberal about my view that certain types should just suck it up and get on with it for the greater good.

More kind of Soviet really.

8 hours ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:
11 hours ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:
Thing is, for once Devi gets something right, delegates flying in without testing, being encouraged to open our homes to the same people, NHS GP surgeries being told to expect delegates to come and place further demand on their practices.
Public sector workers/emergency service workers being removed from Scotland’s communities for this vanity project that already looks like a damp squib. Thats all before you consider the disruption caused by bidding (by an snp led council, the same one which was shaming people for minor covid breaches is increasing licensing hours to put even more strain on) for an event that Glasgow has no where near the infrastructure required to hold effectively. Nicola Sturgeon could stop it immediately. 

I don't know where to begin with this inaccurate drivel.

4 hours ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

You're screaming wee man syndrome.

Vanity project?

Jesus fucking wept.

So after a point by point explanation tonyour initial accusation of it being "inaccurate drivel" the best you can come up with is "wee man syndrome".

That's an almighty backtrack from your initial post.  I take it you don't have any rebuttal to the evidence posted by @Inanimate Carbon Rod?

Just now, strichener said:

So after a point by point explanation tonyour initial accusation of it being "inaccurate drivel" the best you can come up with is "wee man syndrome".

That's an almighty backtrack from your initial post.  I take it you don't have any rebuttal to the evidence posted by @Inanimate Carbon Rod?

Well for a start all the delegates have to be tested before arrival, and then every day they're here, vaccinated or not. It might be different for heads of government and other VIPs, but I haven't seen anything to back that up.

1 minute ago, welshbairn said:

Well for a start all the delegates have to be tested before arrival, and then every day they're here, vaccinated or not. It might be different for heads of government and other VIPs, but I haven't seen anything to back that up.

And has already been pointed out to you, this is untrue.  The Scottish Government website already has a list of those exempt - https://www.gov.scot/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-international-travel-quarantine/pages/sectoral-exemptions/

I pointed out months ago that the government already had exemptions in place for their own travel.  If you think that every delegate at this gathering is going to be doing daily LFTs then you are more gullible than your previous postings would suggest.

3 minutes ago, strichener said:

And has already been pointed out to you, this is untrue.  The Scottish Government website already has a list of those exempt - https://www.gov.scot/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-international-travel-quarantine/pages/sectoral-exemptions/

I pointed out months ago that the government already had exemptions in place for their own travel.  If you think that every delegate at this gathering is going to be doing daily LFTs then you are more gullible than your previous postings would suggest.

We have a robust testing protocol in place for COP26 that mandates testing for all COP26 and World Leaders Summit registered attendees. All attendees are required to comply with the testing regime, which includes pre-departure testing, tests in the days following arrival and daily testing during the conference. The testing regime (which will include both arrival PCR testing for international attendees and daily LFDs)  will apply to all registered attendees and staff, whether fully vaccinated or not. 

Evidence of a negative, self-administered rapid test (known as a Lateral Flow Device test) will be required to enter the Blue Zone and associated venues each day. These tests need to be self-administered in accommodation before travelling to the event venue. Test kits will be provided (either through delivery to major hotels or collection) to attendees in order to facilitate testing ahead of attending the event. 

https://ukcop26.org/the-conference/delegates/

21 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

That only covers a fraction of the people that will be attending.  It even states that in the quote that you posted.

However, even the article you have posted fails to paint the entire picture - quarantine for red list countries is only 5 days for vacinated cop26 delegates or even not required - 

The following Participants are exempt from managed quarantine including when arriving from, 
or having travelled through a red-list country in the previous 10 days, but are required to take 
a PCR test on their day of arrival (Day 0):
● Individuals named on the WLS confirmation letter issued by the UK Government to 
Heads of Missions. This includes those invited by the UK Government to attend or 
facilitate the Conference and/or UNFCCC meetings in addition to the WLS. 
● Ministerial Heads of Department plus two immediate staff members who are all part of 
their national delegation, all of whom must be named on the confirmation letter issued 
by the UK Government.

So let's not kid ourselves that the rules are the same.

Edited by strichener

35 minutes ago, strichener said:

That only covers a fraction of the people that will be attending.  It even states that in the quote that you posted.

However, even the article you have posted fails to paint the entire picture - quarantine for red list countries is only 5 days for vacinated cop26 delegates or even not required - 

Theres no real point arguing sometimes on here. Im sure the others are right and absolutely no one will forget to comply with any of the rules, because that absolutely does not ever ever happen in politics. 

Edited by Inanimate Carbon Rod

52 minutes ago, strichener said:

I'm not quite sure what the SG could have done here between somehow blocking the whole conference and getting tartan ninjas to break through the secret service and swabbing Biden's tonsils. The SG's powers are seriously limited. As it is the majority of attendants will be under greater restrictions than most ordinary tourists, and far more than ordinary Glaswegians. Outside the specified COP26 venues they'll be under the same rules as anyone else, unless in mandatory quarantine for 10 days if unvaccinated, 5 days if vaccinated, but I expect the remaining red list to be abolished as Ireland did, there's no point when we're more dangerous than them.

25 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I'm not quite sure what the SG could have done here between somehow blocking the whole conference and getting tartan ninjas to break through the secret service and swabbing Biden's tonsils. The SG's powers are seriously limited. As it is the majority of attendants will be under greater restrictions than most ordinary tourists, and far more than ordinary Glaswegians. Outside the specified COP26 venues they'll be under the same rules as anyone else, unless in mandatory quarantine for 10 days if unvaccinated, 5 days if vaccinated, but I expect the remaining red list to be abolished as Ireland did, there's no point when we're more dangerous than them.

So the majority doing “stuff” means it’s fine for the minority not to?  Get your vaccine passports in the bin then seeing as the majority are vaccinated.  The minority clearly don’t matter if the majority are doing their bit.

Just now, Left Back said:

So the majority doing “stuff” means it’s fine for the minority not to?  Get your vaccine passports in the bin then seeing as the majority are vaccinated.  The minority clearly don’t matter if the majority are doing their bit.

It's down to the UK Government and the UN how heads of state, certain other VIPs and very limited numbers of their entourages are treated, and I assume they'll be regularly checked anyway as part of their job conditions. 

3 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

It's down to the UK Government and the UN how heads of state, certain other VIPs and very limited numbers of their entourages are treated, and I assume they'll be regularly checked anyway as part of their job conditions. 

Nothing to see here, move along….predictable.