Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Remember and wear your mask when you're in proximity with people you don't usually mix with; the daft qualifier there to excuse MPs from not wearing them in Parliament and to try avoid giving the game away that masks are for plebs. 

Why am I advised to wear a mask on a bus, for example, but it's fine not to wear one in an office because I see those people semi-regularly? The chances of someone in either setting having the virus are the same. Is this the science

Javid can ram it. By all means wear your mask and get your booster - it won't immediately cause a reduction in cases and they'll do what they're threatening to do anyway like they have done several times before. Act I of the dance has taken place with various demands for measures and we had Act II last night with Javid saying he won't take action now, but issuing a theat that action will follow unless behaviour changes. How long until the inevitable cave in? 

Here's a map of cases in Israel, the first country who vaccinated their population to very high levels.

They got on top of this with booster vaccinatons.   Deaths were significantly lower during the post-vaccine wave as well.

Either way though, we are definitely returning to blanket coverage of teasing and threatening various restrictions for a few months now. I found this aspect the absolute worst in terms of my own mental health last year. It had me fuming all the time, so I am saddened to see thats what we are back to.
Exactly this. Its like being a child again and having your parents threaten to ground you if you "misbehaved".

A ridiculous way to treat an entire population.

13 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Here's a map of cases in Israel, the first country who vaccinated their population to very high levels.

They got on top of this with booster vaccinatons.   Deaths were significantly lower during the post-vaccine wave as well.

Who did they gove boosters to?

20 minutes ago, Abdul_Latif said:

The biggest worry in Scotland I’d suggest, is if England bring in measures such as face coverings or light use of vaccine passports (like out current set up), what does the SG do to amplify / tighten ours?

Vaccine passports for all hospitality, events , non essential shops?

Attend school or work in person, only if you’ve been vaccinated?

They will need to be seen to be doing something more and it’ll be an absolute shit show.

England's case rates are rising whereas ours are at worse staying steady if not falling. I'd hope the SG use measures appropriate to our data and not theirs.

image.thumb.png.a9a52781434d6a22fdb7974255618dde.png

22 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:
41 minutes ago, sparky88 said:
An easy way to work out if the UK Govt will do something is if it would involve bringing back furlough. If it does, it's not going to happen. Can already see ministers promoting mask wearing again as an alternative- as Javid did yesterday 

Either way though, we are definitely returning to blanket coverage of teasing and threatening various restrictions for a few months now. I found this aspect the absolute worst in terms of my own mental health last year. It had me fuming all the time, so I am saddened to see thats what we are back to.

I think the media rather than the UK Gov are the problem though.

Javid essentially came on yesterday to say we're not doing anything because we don't feel it's needed, but if you are at risk get your vaccine as it will help.

Ultimately we have seen from the recent wave here that even if you do nothing, it will run out of school kids eventually and start to slow down then reverse. That will happen here again.

3 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

England's case rates are rising whereas ours are at worse staying steady if not falling. I'd hope the SG use measures appropriate to our data and not theirs.

Yes, but only among school children. Very much a "nothing to see here" which these absolute weirdos seem incapable of recognising.

You also know fine well that there is zero chance the SG allow looser restrictions on anything in Scotland than in England, regardless of what is proportionate.

Screenshot_20211020-112015_Opera.jpg

Edited by Todd_is_God

1 minute ago, welshbairn said:

I hope so too, but they also kept us under greater restrictions for longer than England in the past when we had more favourable stats, so I wouldn’t bank on it.

1 minute ago, Todd_is_God said:

I think the media rather than the UK Gov are the problem though.

Javid essentially came on yesterday to say we're not doing anything because we don't feel it's needed, but if you are at risk get your vaccine as it will help.

Ultimately we have seen from the recent wave here that even if you do nothing, it will run out of school kids eventually and start to slow down then reverse. That will happen here again.

In all honesty I think at this point the two go hand in hand. The govt have used the media throughout this, and even when they are at odds with eachother the govt do not act to shut down the fanciful bullshit that gets to print. Its meant to be a fucking public health crisis and yet the govt have repeatedly allowed the media to set the narrative for the public. 

41 minutes ago, Michael W said:

Remember and wear your mask when you're in proximity with people you don't usually mix with; the daft qualifier there to excuse MPs from not wearing them in Parliament and to try avoid giving the game away that masks are for plebs. 

Why am I advised to wear a mask on a bus, for example, but it's fine not to wear one in an office because I see those people semi-regularly? The chances of someone in either setting having the virus are the same. Is this the science

Javid can ram it. By all means wear your mask and get your booster - it won't immediately cause a reduction in cases and they'll do what they're threatening to do anyway like they have done several times before. Act I of the dance has taken place with various demands for measures and we had Act II last night with Javid saying he won't take action now, but issuing a theat that action will follow unless behaviour changes. How long until the inevitable cave in? 

Would have thought the office would be a greater risk, as if a colleague has it you are likely to be exposed to them more often for longer periods, whereas the chances of someone on the bus breathing out enough of the virus in the right direction, and you breathing in enough to contract Covid, are surely much less.

1 minute ago, oaksoft said:

It's about time someone applauded my efforts.

I will spend the rest of the day basking in the glow of your appreciation.

Thank you.

I'm sorry to break this to you...

Joking apart, all this "I'll tell you this and I'll tell you that" patter is just that.  We both know when push comes to shove pretty much everybody will do as they're told.   

21 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

It doesn't matter. I'm of the same opinion.

If they are brought in, I won't be following any new rules brought in to control who can enter my house or who I can meet up with.

Hospitalisations and deaths are still very low. Covid is essentially over unless and until that changes.  What we need is the NHS staff who are hiding from their responsibilities or hiding behind the ping obsession to get back to work to relieve pressure on their colleagues who are having to pick up the slack.

See the source image

what a fuckin' state that post is, .but unfortunately more than a few people share your views, 

16 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

My paper vaccine passport arrived today. What is there to stop me giving this to someone else to use to enter a venue?

Guessing your mate would be breaking the law.  Not sure if you would be.

ETA from here https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-58422607

while there will be no new law created to catch people who enter events without a certificate, the government said it was possible that they could be committing an offence under existing law if they present "falsified information"

Looks like you're in the clear.  how much will you be charging him to borrow your certificate?

Edited by Left Back

1 hour ago, Bairnardo said:
2 hours ago, sparky88 said:
An easy way to work out if the UK Govt will do something is if it would involve bringing back furlough. If it does, it's not going to happen. Can already see ministers promoting mask wearing again as an alternative- as Javid did yesterday 

This is spot on. My head nearly went yesterday with this “restrictions might be coming” patter from the government and the media. I had to stop myself getting raging again, which as you say was almost a permanent state for months back when things were first opening/opened. It’s not a healthy way to live, and the fearmongerers are to blame.