Coronavirus (COVID-19)

4 minutes ago, Peter Grant said:

Does anyone who posts on this thread go to “the dancing” regularly?. 

Not me, but my parents do. They are in their 70s and pre-lockdown ballroom dancing was their biggest hobby. They would visit Blackpool regularly to dance at the tower. They went to 3 or 4 dances per week. The others who go are all in their 70s and older and see these as a social occasion as much as the dancing itself. 

Dancing restarted only recently (it is generally a winter thing) and they go to a couple per week. The difference it has made to them having an outlet to go to, and the chance of social company, is immense. It really harmed them during lockdown. And everyone who is there thinks the rules are nuts. They can dance on the dancefloor, mixing partners and the like, mask-free but if they go to buy a cola or go to the bog they have to mask up.

If NS tried to close these during the winter to keep these people safe, she will lose a huge chunk of support. These dancers are willing to risk cold, flu, covid and the rest to have the dances back having missed out on a hell of a lot.

51 minutes ago, Hard Graft said:

We're just about to have Cop26 where people, from all over the world, vaccinated or not, will be gathering in large numbers, we have to be restricted by covid passports  when we go to nightclubs, football etc, but they are free to gather without them. 

Would not take odds on numbers soaring after it and another lock down on the cards.  This should have been done by video or cancelled meantime.  If we have a large outbreak due to this then Johnson should resign.

Ftfy. UK govt event. UK govt planning. Given the limited community transmission as a result of Nike conference, I'll be surprised if there is much in the way of a spike here in the aftermath of the event. But if there is, the decision to run it lies squarely with the UK govt.

image.png.4c13b42d66d0fbac9cbc9e0abd56a216.png

Given there is no legal requirement to produce photographic ID to enter a football stadium, nightclub or event arena, this effectively cirumvents entirely the domestic aspect of the vaccine passport.

What a (as I predicted) shambles.

Tinpot.

Edited by Todd_is_God

The SNP obviously knew this was possible. 

They will let people cheat it for a while longer then add in extra security features. 

Anyone who actually thinks the vaccine passport as it currently functions is a Covid reduction tool is probably writing a list to Santa. 

Edited by Detournement

5 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

What a (as I predicted) shambles

He's thinking you can prevent people taking screen captures on mobile devices?  Good luck with that.  Even if it was possible (and I'm pretty sure it isn't without installing an MDM client on every device in Scotland and "managing" them) what's to stop someone taking a photo of the info from another device?

22 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Given there is no legal requirement to produce photographic ID to enter a football stadium, nightclub or event arena, this effectively cirumvents entirely the domestic aspect of the vaccine passport.

Tinpot.

I read this and thought "bit of a kick in the stones for Detournement's theories" but...

20 minutes ago, Detournement said:

The SNP obviously knew this was possible. 

They will let people cheat it for a while longer then add in extra security features. 

Anyone who actually thinks the vaccine passport as it currently functions is a Covid reduction tool is probably writing a list to Santa. 

:lol:

The gift that keeps on giving. 

24 minutes ago, Left Back said:

He's thinking you can prevent people taking screen captures on mobile devices?  Good luck with that.  Even if it was possible (and I'm pretty sure it isn't without installing an MDM client on every device in Scotland and "managing" them) what's to stop someone taking a photo of the info from another device?

There are apps which do not let you screenshot (my banking app is one of them). But I assume this needs to be written into the app. Something which was clearly missed in the brief in the mad rush to care more.

If nothing else, it merely stands to highlight once more how detached from reality these people are, and the arrogance not to consult with, and take on board the opinions of, those outwith their wee bubble.

Edited by Todd_is_God

2 hours ago, HTG said:

Ftfy. UK govt event. UK govt planning. Given the limited community transmission as a result of Nike conference, I'll be surprised if there is much in the way of a spike here in the aftermath of the event. But if there is, the decision to run it lies squarely with the UK govt.

Glasgow City council are absolutely choking for it to go ahead, extending licensing hours and holding their own events and civic receptions, pretty much driven by SNP members on the council. David Macdonald cncllr and depute leader at the time of the bid was on record as fully behind the bid as was the Scottish Government. 
There’s a revisionism amongst SNP supporters giving it ‘bUt tHe Uk GoVeRnMeNt’ when in reality they wanted it here every single bit as much. Also Scottish Public Health powers held by the Scottish Government (ie the same ones used to control air travel/green lists etc and mass gatherings) could have been used to cancel the event. The thing here is the Scottish Government is absolutely delighted to have itself on the world stage at Cop26 and will be absolutely damned if Nicola cant have her wee photo opportunities at the expense of the drain of this on Scotlands public resources. So its a convenient position for them to be in, blame westminster if anything bad happens and use every opportunity available if the narrative suits. 

2 hours ago, Todd_is_God said:

Tinpot.

Surely our health secretary is not giving out false information yet again? 

He's a fucking idiot. 

Edited by Lyle Lanley

Cant wait for Scotgov to announce that noghtclubs and football grounds must request app users to demonstrate loading the app from the homescreen.

Various posters on here to insist thats not any hardship whasoever and makes absolutely no difference to anyone.

The case numbers yesterday has certainly brought the maskers out, oddly enough demanding mandatory masks (in England) and also the current fashion of 'indoor ventilation', which in other words means open a window. Have seen a few idiots (hello Ben Bradshaw MP) demanding a reintroduction of distancing as well. 
The trouble is that these things generally end up with restrictions being increasingly tightened. What happens when masks on transport and  in shops, or when going for a piss in a restaurant doesn't lead to cases declining? Is that when vaccine passports are introduced? The next step is then lighter lockdown restrictions being implemented. Scotland and Wales have even less wiggle room here since masks are already mandatory in those settings and vaccine passports are in place. We need to try and ride it out. 
The case load is being driven primarily by under 20s, particularly those of secondary school age. Large amounts of this demographic is unvaccinated, with those over 12 now offered the vaccine. If we really were interested in getting case rates down, the schools would be shut and we'd be back to online learning. I appreciate how disruptive that would be, but it would address the single greatest factor driving cases rather than window dress it with compulsory masks or distancing measures resulting in reduced capacities in restaurants. 
As it is, the current strategy seems to be ride it out. We'll see for how long that continues - Scotland managed it in August when the cases went through the roof, but I'm less comfortable it'll happen in winter. 

There is also the elephant in the room of no exams for the third year running.

The absences last term were just awful - had some pupils who were in less than half the time due to repeated self-isolations.

I'd put my house right now on there not being exams again this year.

29 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Cant wait for Scotgov to announce that noghtclubs and football grounds must request app users to demonstrate loading the app from the homescreen.

Various posters on here to insist thats not any hardship whasoever and makes absolutely no difference to anyone.

It’s a fcuking joke. I was at the NFL on Sunday at Spurs stadium, and the stewards at the entrances were asking folk to show proof of vaccination. German fans in front of us, gave it the big shoulder shrug and the ‘sorry don’t understand, don’t spracken ze English’ vibe. Steward just waved them in. We wafted our Sturgeon approved shite at him, and he never even looked at it, just waved us, and everyone else, through. They had 60,780 coming in, and they were clearly under instruction to check everyone, but they couldn’t give a fcuk. Quite right too, they had 60,780 punters to deal with.

Box ticked, they asked to see vaccination proof, but couldn’t give a flying fcuk if you were wafting a Sturgeon QR code at them, or a screengrab of a Frosties packet.

Total fcuking joke. Thankfully. Well played the Spurs stewards, well played.

31 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

Open the app on a laptop, hit Print Screen and send the photo to your phone.

Laptops cannot (natively anyway) install and run .apk files. Mobile apps won't run on a laptop.

None of which matters, given the app allows screenshots.

The only way to prevent it, would be a randomly generated, time limited QR code, which of course can't be used as it would remove the ability for hard copies to be used.

In short we are left with an app (and the associated costs of it), which was introduced with the sole purpose of ensuring people had to validate their identity to get their code, being reduced to the same security level as the previously downloadable pdf codes by simply pressing the power and volume button together on a phone or tablet straight out the box. A roaring success.

How no-one in the design process identified and raised this is incredible tbh.