Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Nicola's message is all over the shop.

-be wary of variants as they might "break through" vaccines

-but please get vaccinated so that you can;

-continue to wear masks and distance yourself indoors

-and if cases get too high we'll need to think about restrictions again

Where in there am I supposed to reach the conclusion that a vaccine is good for me?

37 minutes ago, Ron Aldo said:

A variant of a variant? It's been a while right enough.

I hate to sound pessimistic but I really hope this isn't the early groundwork for restrictions being brought back in.

The case numbers yesterday has certainly brought the maskers out, oddly enough demanding mandatory masks (in England) and also the current fashion of 'indoor ventilation', which in other words means open a window. Have seen a few idiots (hello Ben Bradshaw MP) demanding a reintroduction of distancing as well. 

The trouble is that these things generally end up with restrictions being increasingly tightened. What happens when masks on transport and  in shops, or when going for a piss in a restaurant doesn't lead to cases declining? Is that when vaccine passports are introduced? The next step is then lighter lockdown restrictions being implemented. Scotland and Wales have even less wiggle room here since masks are already mandatory in those settings and vaccine passports are in place. We need to try and ride it out. 

The case load is being driven primarily by under 20s, particularly those of secondary school age. Large amounts of this demographic is unvaccinated, with those over 12 now offered the vaccine. If we really were interested in getting case rates down, the schools would be shut and we'd be back to online learning. I appreciate how disruptive that would be, but it would address the single greatest factor driving cases rather than window dress it with compulsory masks or distancing measures resulting in reduced capacities in restaurants. 

As it is, the current strategy seems to be ride it out. We'll see for how long that continues - Scotland managed it in August when the cases went through the roof, but I'm less comfortable it'll happen in winter. 

16 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Where in there am I supposed to reach the conclusion that a vaccine is good for me?

It’s back to the ‘I make no apologies for keeping people safe’ nonsense

1 minute ago, Michael W said:

The case numbers yesterday has certainly brought the maskers out, oddly enough demanding mandatory masks (in England) and also the current fashion of 'indoor ventilation', which in other words means open a window. Have seen a few idiots (hello Ben Bradshaw MP) demanding a reintroduction of distancing as well. 

The trouble is that these things generally end up with restrictions being increasingly tightened. What happens when masks on transport and  in shops, or when going for a piss in a restaurant doesn't lead to cases declining? Is that when vaccine passports are introduced? The next step is then lighter lockdown restrictions being implemented. Scotland and Wales have even less wiggle room here since masks are already mandatory in those settings and vaccine passports are in place. We need to try and ride it out. 

The case load is being driven primarily by under 20s, particularly those of secondary school age. Large amounts of this demographic is unvaccinated, with those over 12 now offered the vaccine. If we really were interested in getting case rates down, the schools would be shut and we'd be back to online learning. I appreciate how disruptive that would be, but it would address the single greatest factor driving cases rather than window dress it with compulsory masks or distancing measures resulting in reduced capacities in restaurants. 

As it is, the current strategy seems to be ride it out. We'll see for how long that continues - Scotland managed it in August when the cases went through the roof, but I'm less comfortable it'll happen in winter. 

But the current case numbers (in England anyway) are being driven by school kids. Adults are absolutely stable. If they want to get case numbers down by any meaningful amount then they should shut schools.

However, I don't think the UK Gov (correctly IMO) view high numbers of cases in kids an issue, regardless of how much noise the moonhowlers (who repeatedly fail to look beyond a headline number) make.

Up here, case numbers are about 60% lower than where they were a month ago, and fairly stable. Hospital numbers, despite cases being (according to NS) consistently "higher than we would like," have remained relatively low, and have generally been falling for some time now.

There's very little noise coming from either the UK Gov or SG because there is nothing to say. The media appear to be trying to make a story out of nothing, however, because their cash cow is heading out to pasture and they are desperate to milk it dry.

Screenshot_20211019-132701_Opera.jpg

57 minutes ago, Ron Aldo said:

A variant of a variant? It's been a while right enough.

I hate to sound pessimistic but I really hope this isn't the early groundwork for restrictions being brought back in.

NS just getting in there early so that if it comes to anything she can say WM didn’t take it seriously enough.

30 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

We're just about to have Cop26 where people, from all over the world, vaccinated or not, will be gathering in large numbers, we have to be restricted by covid passports  when we go to nightclubs, football etc, but they are free to gather without them. 

Would not take odds on numbers soaring after it and another lock down on the cards.  This should have been done by video or cancelled meantime.  If we have a large outbreak due to this then she should resign.

Just now, Hard Graft said:

We're just about to have Cop26 where people, from all over the world, vaccinated or not, will be gathering in large numbers, we have to be restricted by covid passports  when we go to nightclubs, football etc, but they are free to gather without them. 

Would not take odds on numbers soaring after it and another lock down on the cards.  This should have been done by video or cancelled meantime.  If we have a large outbreak due to this then she should resign.

It's not an SG event and it's UN territory when they are here.

1 minute ago, Hard Graft said:

I'd sooner carry a covid passport than have to test daily like they do, vaxxed or not.

1 hour ago, Raithie said:

Had the my booster jag and flu jag last night. Can barely lift my arms today 😆

My wife and I had ours on Friday morning. Almost fully recovered today but we both had painful arms and shoulders over the weekend - oh and Cowden lost to compound my misery.

13 minutes ago, Hard Graft said:

Cop26 and the mass visit with no restrictions is in total conflict with current  Scottish government policies.

What particular science is being followed or applied ?

6 minutes ago, Left Back said:

What about when they aren't in the conference venue though?  Surely subject to Scottish laws at that point.

Yeah, I don’t think their diplomatic status gets them very far in haunts regular punters would attend that require vaccine status.

7 minutes ago, Abdul_Latif said:

Yeah, I don’t think their diplomatic status gets them very far in haunts regular punters would attend that require vaccine status.

According to the code of conduct if they want to go dancing they'll need to prove their vaccination status same as us.

https://ukcop26.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/10/FAQ-Planning-your-Journey-to-UNFCCC-COP26.pdf