Coronavirus (COVID-19)

On passports, I was due to fly to Sweden in 1999. I was going to stay there for 5 months as an exchange student. A couple of days before the flight I got my passport and found it was 18 months out of date. 

I raged. Visions of calamity, being turned away at the airport and all that stuff. The problem was, my folks thought that the passport they got me in 1993 lasted 10 years like an adults, when in fact it only lasted 5 years as I was under 18 at the time. 

There was only one thing for it - brazenly go for it anyway. I went to Edinburgh airport and got through OK. The flight landed at Schiphol with no problems. Then got on the connecting flight with no issue - by this time I had showed my passport two or three times with absolutely nobody noticing that it was out of date, and the picture shown was me as a 13 year old. 

I landed at Arlanda and this is where it was noticed. I was sat in a room whilst the passport people went away and had a chat. I was actually very calm, and played the innocent. I assumed they would just send me back.  I remember the woman coming back to me, handing me my passport and telling me that I could carry on but to make sure I got my passport sorted out by the time I got my return trip. 

A few weeks later my dad posted my new passport out to me. It seemed so odd to just have this passport arrive in an envelope (not recorded delivery or anything).

I fair released the outrage last night by suggesting it might be wise to keep a paper copy of important stuff when you're travelling in case your phone fails or you lose it. You get similar reactions if you argue that cash can be useful or that it's pleasant to read a physical newspaper sometimes instead of on your phone. Digital fundamentalism gone mad imo.

23 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

I'm sure nothing has changed in regards to airport security in 50 years. Behave man, you canny fly home on a picture of your passport :lol:

..and yet neither I, nor Welshbairn, claimed that you could. We simply sated that it had been possible at one time.

10 hours ago, Left Back said:

I repeat.  You’re full of shit.  Slip through security on landing when you have no passport?  Give me strength.

Feel free to show us any government website that states you can return to the UK with a photocopy or scan of your passport or any airline that will embark a normal punter without a valid passport.

So you are most likely to catch Covid after being jagged and the UK has began a third round of vaccinations of it's most vulnerable people three months before the peak of seasonal respiratory viruses. 

I read that England has done 3 million 3rd jags but I've not spotted any figures for Scotland. 

2 minutes ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

..and yet neither I, nor Welshbairn, claimed that you could. We simply sated that it had been possible at one time.

Eh, yes he did! He always takes paper copies on holiday in case his passport gets nicked...

13 hours ago, welshbairn said:

It's got nothing to do with defending the government, I take paper copies of everything essential when I go on holiday, including scans of my passport in case it gets nicked. You don't want to be refused onto a plane because you were up all night and forgot to charge your phone. Some border officials prefer paper copies anyway than trying to read the writing on a phone from a covid test certificate.

2 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I fair released the outrage last night by suggesting it might be wise to keep a paper copy of important stuff when you're travelling in case your phone fails or you lose it. You get similar reactions if you argue that cash can be useful or that it's pleasant to read a physical newspaper sometimes instead of on your phone. Digital fundamentalism gone mad imo.

The reason people get frustrated at things you post is because they have absolutely no relevance to anything people actually post about. Years ago you managed to get home from abroad once after losing your passport because you had a photocopy of it. Fine. You contacted airlines/whoever explaining the situation and an allowance was made for what would have been an isolated occurrence. Your planning saved you. Fine.

From what I remember this started after a story yesterday about the vaccine passport app not working. This isn't a couple of people going abroad, this is literally tens of thousands of people in the country at a time, every day, having to use this. Something they have no say in, it's just government mandated for them to be able to carry on with their lives as normal. Do you really think it's reasonable to expect all of those people to forgo the main advertised means of using this passport and carry a backup with them at all times? Do you see everyone going to a football match with this? What about pished folk in a nightclub queue? 

The reason people get so fucking irritated with what you post isn't what you seem to think it is, that being a childish tantrum borne of misplaced intelligence and recklessness. People are frustrated because their lives are still subject to restrictions which don't really do much to case numbers or death numbers, they have a government extending and expanding those restrictions with no stated end date, and they have condescending p***ks like you playing a role of simpleton to try and score points over them on the internet. Grow the f**k up. 

3 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

That reminds me, I need to take a paper scan of my season ticket in case I lose it. I'm sure they'll accept that at the gate. 

I would probably take a picture on your phone of the scanned paper season ticket as well, just in case you lose the scanned copy too.

Edited by Honest_Man#1

15 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

The reason people get frustrated at things you post is because they have absolutely no relevance to anything people actually post about. Years ago you managed to get home from abroad once after losing your passport because you had a photocopy of it. Fine. You contacted airlines/whoever explaining the situation and an allowance was made for what would have been an isolated occurrence. Your planning saved you. Fine.

From what I remember this started after a story yesterday about the vaccine passport app not working. This isn't a couple of people going abroad, this is literally tens of thousands of people in the country at a time, every day, having to use this. Something they have no say in, it's just government mandated for them to be able to carry on with their lives as normal. Do you really think it's reasonable to expect all of those people to forgo the main advertised means of using this passport and carry a backup with them at all times? Do you see everyone going to a football match with this? What about pished folk in a nightclub queue? 

The reason people get so fucking irritated with what you post isn't what you seem to think it is, that being a childish tantrum borne of misplaced intelligence and recklessness. People are frustrated because their lives are still subject to restrictions which don't really do much to case numbers or death numbers, they have a government extending and expanding those restrictions with no stated end date, and they have condescending p***ks like you playing a role of simpleton to try and score points over them on the internet. Grow the f**k up. 

thats-a-paddlin-hydroid-nerfs-general-discussion-warframe-53715986.png

26 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

No you didn't. You were rightly ridiculed for suggesting that, in 2021, it was a good idea to carry a photocopy of your passport so you could cross borders if you lost it.

So you are most likely to catch Covid after being jagged and the UK has began a third round of vaccinations of it's most vulnerable people three months before the peak of seasonal respiratory viruses. 
I read that England has done 3 million 3rd jags but I've not spotted any figures for Scotland. 
You seem.to have misrepresented the data somewhat here.

Did you actually read Round 14 of the REACT study?

42 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

I remember the good old days when you could rock up at the Passport Office in Cowcaddens, take a paper ticket, wait for your number to be called up (4-5 hour wait) and then get your passport right there and then after flashing a couple of bits of ID (driving licence, bank statement and a passport sized photo).  I assume you can't do that anymore.

You can if you pay for the premium service

https://www.gov.uk/get-a-passport-urgently/online-premium-service

42 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

I remember the good old days when you could rock up at the Passport Office in Cowcaddens, take a paper ticket, wait for your number to be called up (4-5 hour wait) and then get your passport right there and then after flashing a couple of bits of ID (driving licence, bank statement and a passport sized photo).  I assume you can't do that anymore.

When the “new” passports were first issued back in the late eighties I went to the Passport office in Glasgow to get one, did exactly as you did and the passport arrived two days later. It must have been one of the first ones issued as the number was around 0000004000.  I flew a couple of weeks later to France with it , at Passport Control it was given a good look at by the staff as they had never seen the new style.

16 hours ago, Left Back said:

Don’t remember the government advice being we’re introducing a covid passport app but by the way you should have your own redundant mechanisms in place in case our app is shonky.

It's just common sense though, I get your point but unfortunately the airline punter or the customs bloke isn't interested in the slightest about what the Government say and ultimately you'll be refused boarding whether it's outwith your control or not.

19 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

No you didn't. You were rightly ridiculed for suggesting that, in 2021, it was a good idea to carry a photocopy of your passport so you could cross borders if you lost it.

16 hours ago, Billy Jean King said:

BBC News - NHS Covid Pass: Vaccine records access restored after outage
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-58901435

I'd be furious if being refused boarding by an airline due to an app outage.

16 hours ago, welshbairn said:

You'd be daft not to print off the PDF in any case, your phone isn't 100% reliable.

16 hours ago, Left Back said:

This is a ridiculous statement.  We live in a digital first world.  Companies and governments have been trying to digitise things for years and you dismiss this by basically saying we should all have paper backups for things in case?

16 hours ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

I realise welshbairn has long been playing a bit on here where he defends everything the government does in the most reductive way possible but it's genuinely fascinating to see how idiotic he can be when doing it. 

3 hours ago, Todd_is_God said:

They've always been pretty good at detecting those people who were currently infectious, they were only panned because they weren't capable of detecting tiny viral fragments like the PCR test could, which was presented as "must be wrong"

Funnily enough, now that we are reaching the end stage, and scaling back mass PCR testing is no doubt in the pipeline, they are suddenly being pushed as accurate afterall.

The media and "The science" have been a disgrace throughout.

100% nail on head.