Coronavirus (COVID-19)

3 minutes ago, Snafu said:

Ironically I've just tried to do this with a legal document in Word, issue is I've never ever used Word. Opened the document after saving it to get out of the read only, open file, info, but nothing for protect document drop down menu which would have the add signature, so I tried to open an account just to see if that would give me that option, I was given error when I gave my e-mail address, not my e-mail address.

I can't be arsed with this shit again just for one document, far easier going into the office tomorrow and signing it in person.

Most docs these days it isn’t that complicated.  They have a link to a website that is unique to you.  Has the blah blah by checking this box and submitting you acknowledge this is a digital signature blurb.  Literally a couple of mouse clicks and you’re sorted.

Some stuff still can’t be done digitally.  I had to go meet a lawyer during the height of the pandemic/stay at home stuff last year as I had to physically sign stuff to conclude something.  Almost all day to day stuff can be done now using the process above though.

10 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

You lot have spent to much of your lives digitally so you can't understand how to get around problems through human interaction. You'd be amazed. The scan of my passport matched the data the UK border control had, my plane ticket, the electoral roll, my bank card, everything they needed. I don't understand or care why you think this was unbelievable.

Someone that lives in a fantasy make-believe world talking about human interaction

Sad Cheryl Cole GIF

1 hour ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

You absolutely cannot travel on a photocopy of a passport, it is useful to have a photocopy incase you lose your old one as it means you can fill out forms etc to declare yours lost (who knows their passport number?) and makes things slightly easier. 
Ive known of several people being stopped from boarding flights in the UK for all manner of reasons so this notion that they don’t care who leaves is baffling. 

You've never heard of somebody being allowed to fly home after losing their passport? It does happen. Another reason I do it is just in case I get all my cash and cards stolen or lost as well as my passport. I scan a bank card as well, just to save writing the numbers down, so if I'm stuck with no money or means of getting it I can go online and get Western Union or somebody to send authorisation for me to pick it up in a local branch, they're everywhere. I stupidly got robbed in Porto once and had my cards and cash all in the same wallet, so had nothing. Money arrived 2 hours later, and after asking they said a passport photocopy would have done it for ID. Expensive though, they take about 10%.  Expect the unexpected for relaxing holidays.

Edited by welshbairn

7 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

You've never heard of somebody being allowed to fly home after losing their passport? It does happen. Another reason I do it is just in case I get all my cash and cards stolen or lost as well as my passport. I scan a bank card as well, just to save writing the numbers down, so if I'm stuck with no money or means of getting it I can go online and get Western Union or somebody to send authorisation for me to pick it up in a local branch, they're everywhere. I stupidly got robbed in Porto once and had my cards and cash all in the same wallet, so had nothing. Money arrived 2 hours later, and after asking they said a passport photocopy would have done it for ID. Expensive though, they take about 10%.  Expect the unexpected for relaxing holidays.

You still at this?  As I said you go get consular help and pay through the nose for a temporary passport.  You absolutely would not get a boarding card or be allowed through passport control (note it’s not called passport/scan/photocopy control) to get back to the UK.

If the airline did let you fly to the UK they’d be in all sorts of shit and you’d be returned to port of embarkation.

20 minutes ago, Snafu said:

What's a day off?

I had the cold last weekend.  Still felt grim on the monday so took the day off sick.  All the back to the future films were on one after the other.  That was my day on the couch sorted.  Can highly recommend it.

ETA wasn’t BTTF.  Was Indiana Jones.

Edited by Left Back

12 minutes ago, Left Back said:

You still at this?  As I said you go get consular help and pay through the nose for a temporary passport.  You absolutely would not get a boarding card or be allowed through passport control (note it’s not called passport/scan/photocopy control) to get back to the UK.

If the airline did let you fly to the UK they’d be in all sorts of shit and you’d be returned to port of embarkation.

I've no idea if it would have happened the same way today, this was before digital borders. But I'd expect it would, with enough ID to prove who you were. Not at a last minute rush for boarding, but with fair warning. Temporary passports are issued with the same evidence you'd be providing to the airline and border control, and the Embassy isn't always round the corner. I'm talking about flying home, not trying to get on a plane to Malaga.

Edited by welshbairn

2 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I've no idea if it would have happened the same way today, this was before digital borders. But I'd expect it would, with enough ID to prove who you were. Not at a last minute rush for boarding, but with fair warning. Temporary passports are issued with the same evidence you'd be providing to the airline and border control, and the Embassy isn't always round the corner.

Yeah but you are the embassys problem, not the airlines. I have never flown with any airline or been through any airport that I can imagine stretching an inch to accomodate this. 

Go away sir, and return when you have the pre-requisite documentation to board this flight, is how I imagine it to go in this day and age.

2 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Yeah but you are the embassys problem, not the airlines. I have never flown with any airline or been through any airport that I can imagine stretching an inch to accomodate this. 

Go away sir, and return when you have the pre-requisite documentation to board this flight, is how I imagine it to go in this day and age.

The guy I met that was going through this was taken away to an office with his temp passport so they could verify his story.  Even a genuine temp passport threw up red flags for border control to check.  I guess they see them so infrequently they’re extra careful.  Will see them more often than a photocopy though 😂

1 minute ago, Bairnardo said:

In my case the airline phoned UK border control to tell them what to expect and to ask them if it was ok. So I wasn't about to slip through security on landing. And the locals went along with it. It really wasn't a big deal, and they had a couple of days warning. Maybe it might not work today, "computer says no", but I suspect it would, unless you raise it at check in with no warning What's the big difference between say a driving license and a passport?

8 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

In my case the airline phoned UK border control to tell them what to expect and to ask them if it was ok. So I wasn't about to slip through security on landing. And the locals went along with it. It really wasn't a big deal, and they had a couple of days warning. Maybe it might not work today, "computer says no", but I suspect it would, unless you raise it at check in with no warning What's the big difference between say a driving license and a passport?

I repeat.  You’re full of shit.  Slip through security on landing when you have no passport?  Give me strength.

Feel free to show us any government website that states you can return to the UK with a photocopy or scan of your passport or any airline that will embark a normal punter without a valid passport.

16 minutes ago, Left Back said:

I repeat.  You’re full of shit.  Slip through security on landing when you have no passport?  Give me strength.

Feel free to show us any government website that states you can return to the UK with a photocopy or scan of your passport or any airline that will embark a normal punter without a valid passport.

Computer says no....no alternative.... no rational mitigation possible...self destruct programmed... 

BBC News - NHS Covid Pass: Vaccine records access restored after outage
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-58901435

I'd be furious if being refused boarding by an airline due to an app outage.
Given the previous issues anyone with half a brain cell would have the paper copy as well.

And having just travelled they weren't checking these things thoroughly - a cursory glance at Manchester Airport - not a single check in Kos except to see we had completed our PLF.

23 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

LFTs more accurate than first thought, UCL study finds.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-58899612

They've always been pretty good at detecting those people who were currently infectious, they were only panned because they weren't capable of detecting tiny viral fragments like the PCR test could, which was presented as "must be wrong"

Funnily enough, now that we are reaching the end stage, and scaling back mass PCR testing is no doubt in the pipeline, they are suddenly being pushed as accurate afterall.

The media and "The science" have been a disgrace throughout.

Edited by Todd_is_God

19 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

I think someone needs to remind you that it's not 1953 anymore. 🤣

..or maybe someone needs to point out to you, and the rest of the ad hominem crew on here, that Welshbairn was at pains to point out (repeatedly) that this incident actually happened some years ago - probably in a time when, simply by having been born, he is a more reliable source than the regular know-all know-nothings on here. I've also known family members return (from Italy) without passports, when able to provide enough robust ID. This was in the mid-70s.

Anyhoo, have da kidz accepted you, Oaky? Do you play the playstation with them?

17 minutes ago, Snafu said:

What's up with this thread, its practically dead in here now, tumbleweed?

Still a lot going on and a good few topics left to discuss on the pandemic and the rest of this, but its like a Tuesday night in winter in Inverness city center on here now.

Not actually much to say these days. Whenever a rule change comes in it picks up a bit, and we get the regular daily updates.

3 hours ago, Snafu said:

Just absolute madness - https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/lifestyle/scotland-covid-passports-how-enforced-25199005

Enforcement isn't a kind word, means serious.

The government are really cracking down on the entertainment industry. Why were these venues already open for weeks without VP's and not making a jot of difference to cases, would that not come under stable door left open, horse has long since f**ked off?

Interesting that this is not law but the venues are committing an offence if they don't comply??? More time wasting nonsense for courts to deal with.

If this is enforced by to the letter at our bigger sports stadiums prepare for long queues and missing part of the game.

Why are employees exempt, are they locked in cages until their shift to keep them away from anyone outside the venue?

You can still catch covid regardless of being vaccinated twice and carrying a VP and pass it on to someone who hasn't been vaccinated outside the venue, what is the actual point of this?

Maybe its all one big social compliance experiment?

When you have the two parties in power who have been the most outspoken against the use of domestic VP's and they U-turn and go ahead anyway.

Who's really pulling these strings at Hollyrood?

Scotland's vaccination certification scheme went live at the beginning of this monjt.

But enforcement of the new scheme was delayed to allow venues to prepare for the new requirements and checks.

Formal enforcement of Covidvaccine certification will begin on Monday - October 18.

All those under the age of 18 will be required to prove that they have been double jabbed in order to gain entry and if they don't, enforcement could be taken.

Editorial standards at the Record as high as ever, good to see.