Coronavirus (COVID-19)

9 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

It has in the past. Most of the time border officials aren't too bothered about people leaving, it's those coming in they scrutinise. Then it's easy to verify who you are back in the UK. It was a while ago flying home from Germany, wasn't a big deal but I think the airline had to phone the UK to check it was ok.

I don’t actually believe you but even if it was possible how would that work out with a biometric passport these days?  Do you have a scan of your chip from the passport?

3 minutes ago, Left Back said:

I don’t actually believe you but even if it was possible how would that work out with a biometric passport these days?  Do you have a scan of your chip from the passport?

Well you'd obviously need it checked by a human being rather than a machine. They do still exist. The point of the scan is to aid you in proving you are who you say you are, not to replace a passport.

Edited by welshbairn

16 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

It has in the past. Most of the time border officials aren't too bothered about people leaving, it's those coming in they scrutinise. Then it's easy to verify who you are back in the UK. It was a while ago flying home from Germany, wasn't a big deal but I think the airline had to phone the UK to check it was ok.

That's an outrageous statement. Events over the last 20 years especially mean border officials are very interested in who is travelling across their borders.

The idea that a printed, easily photoshopped, copy of your passport is going to be accepted in 2021 is ludicrous.

1 minute ago, welshbairn said:

Well you'd obviously need it checked by a human being rather than a machine. They do still exist.

So a border official at both sides would happily verify you using just a scan of a passport, and the airline would let you board with the same scan.

why do we even bother carrying passports then?

Why is it when you’re abroad and lose or damage your passport you have to go to the nearest consulate/embassy and get one of those yellow temporary jobs at a cost of several hundred pounds to get home?  If everyone will accept a photocopy the bloke I met in a passport control queue in Rhodes with his original passport with a torn page and his very expensive temporary passport must have been properly shafted.

You’re full of shit.

1 minute ago, Left Back said:

So a border official at both sides would happily verify you using just a scan of a passport, and the airline would let you board with the same scan.

why do we even bother carrying passports then?

Why is it when you’re abroad and lose or damage your passport you have to go to the nearest consulate/embassy and get one of those yellow temporary jobs at a cost of several hundred pounds to get home?  If everyone will accept a photocopy the bloke I met in a passport control queue in Rhodes with his original passport with a torn page and his very expensive temporary passport must have been properly shafted.

You’re full of shit.

You lot are far too disbelieving and rude to continue this conversation. I lost my bag in Germany with my passport in it. I phoned the airline and explained the problem, and that I had a photocopy of the passport. They talked to the UK airport officials, and the Frankfurt ones, and it was arranged. Not a big deal.

You absolutely cannot travel on a photocopy of a passport, it is useful to have a photocopy incase you lose your old one as it means you can fill out forms etc to declare yours lost (who knows their passport number?) and makes things slightly easier. 
Ive known of several people being stopped from boarding flights in the UK for all manner of reasons so this notion that they don’t care who leaves is baffling. 

2 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

In what way would going out and buying a printer/scanner be easier or cheaper than using a tablet and pen I already own?

Well it wouldn't, obviously. Since I already own a printer I won't be going out to buy a tablet and pen either, but will be reassured by having paper back ups of essential documents when travelling. Each to their own.

4 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

You lot are far too disbelieving and rude to continue this conversation. I lost my bag in Germany with my passport in it. I phoned the airline and explained the problem, and that I had a photocopy of the passport. They talked to the UK airport officials, and the Frankfurt ones, and it was arranged. Not a big deal.

🤣🤣🤣

Course it was.  Are you royalty?  Is this how Prince Andrew is spending his time?  Posting shite on a Scottish football forum now he can’t be seen in public.

1 hour ago, Snafu said:

I take it that masks are now back in schools and colleges in England?

Someone must be getting very wealthy out of all these opportunities.

No. A few public health crazies in Cambridgeshire started mewling about it, but that's it.

9 minutes ago, Left Back said:

🤣🤣🤣

Course it was.  Are you royalty?  Is this how Prince Andrew is spending his time?  Posting shite on a Scottish football forum now he can’t be seen in public.

You lot have spent to much of your lives digitally so you can't understand how to get around problems through human interaction. You'd be amazed. The scan of my passport matched the data the UK border control had, my plane ticket, the electoral roll, my bank card, everything they needed. I don't understand or care why you think this was unbelievable.

Edited by welshbairn