Coronavirus (COVID-19)

33 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

BBC News - NHS Covid Pass: Vaccine records access restored after outage
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-58901435

I'd be furious if being refused boarding by an airline due to an app outage.

You'd be daft not to print off the PDF in any case, your phone isn't 100% reliable.

2 hours ago, Detournement said:

The story said they were all Amex chargebacks so they obviously took a different approach to Visa and Mastercard.

People who try to pay at a bar or a till with Amex are the worst so i'm verging towards Ryanair here.

Amex deal with their own customers, MasterCard and Visa basically licence to other financial institutions and it is those companies that deal with the customer.

Give me Amex any day of the week when looking at customer service.

I am one of the people that has used Amex to dispute a Ryanair charge albeit not for a cancelled flight but for change fees.  Without going into all the details Ryanair basically said "yes I know that is what our terms and conditions state but that isn't how we work in practice".  

4 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

You'd be daft not to print off the PDF in any case, your phone isn't 100% reliable.

This is a ridiculous statement.  We live in a digital first world.  Companies and governments have been trying to digitise things for years and you dismiss this by basically saying we should all have paper backups for things in case?

2 minutes ago, Left Back said:

This is a ridiculous statement.  We live in a digital first world.  Companies and governments have been trying to digitise things for years and you dismiss this by basically saying we should all have paper backups for things in case?

Have a screenshot if it's a qr code. Not difficult or time consuming to be prepared.

If you want to guarantee getting aboard a flight then clearly yes you should. I certainly will not be turning up at an airport without a screen shot / copy for this very reason.

4 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

Have a screenshot if it's a qr code. Not difficult or time consuming to be prepared.

Don’t remember the government advice being we’re introducing a covid passport app but by the way you should have your own redundant mechanisms in place in case our app is shonky.

The Danish Climate Minister must have told Sturgeon and her lapdog that grown-up countries with high vaccination rates don't bother with face masks - which are also terrible for the environment.

1 minute ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

I realise welshbairn has long been playing a bit on here where he defends everything the government does in the most reductive way possible but it's genuinely fascinating to see how idiotic he can be when doing it. 

This is the English version he’s defending here.  I’m sure he’s realised that though.

13 minutes ago, Elixir said:

The Danish Climate Minister must have told Sturgeon and her lapdog that grown-up countries with high vaccination rates don't bother with face masks - which are also terrible for the environment.

I wish Denmark would tell every country this.

16 minutes ago, Elixir said:

That jacket,  it looks like she's just rushed back from a judo lesson. 

15 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

How many folk own a printer in 2021? I certainly don't.

I have a couple but one of them is only ever used for it’s scanning capability.  In the modern world its becoming increasingly more acceptable to email in scans of things rather than post paper copies.  The reason the other one was purchased has been replaced by a different technology instead of generating lots of paper so its more of a paperweight now.  Very rarely actually print things.

1 hour ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

I realise welshbairn has long been playing a bit on here where he defends everything the government does in the most reductive way possible but it's genuinely fascinating to see how idiotic he can be when doing it. 

It's got nothing to do with defending the government, I take paper copies of everything essential when I go on holiday, including scans of my passport in case it gets nicked. You don't want to be refused onto a plane because you were up all night and forgot to charge your phone. Some border officials prefer paper copies anyway than trying to read the writing on a phone from a covid test certificate.

Just now, Todd_is_God said:

Why? A scan of a passport isn't going to get you on a plane 😂😂

It has in the past. Most of the time border officials aren't too bothered about people leaving, it's those coming in they scrutinise. Then it's easy to verify who you are back in the UK. It was a while ago flying home from Germany, wasn't a big deal but I think the airline had to phone the UK to check it was ok.