Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Just now, 101 said:

I've never flown with them, but that seems not to expensive. But would worry that if something happened they are going to be useless and that's when you pay.

I've found them really reliable and punctual over the years. There are annoying things like herding you through the gate before your plane has even landed, but they aren't nearly as bad as Easyjet for cancelling flights. If I was investing in a family holiday I'd probably stick to scheduled airlines though, which aren't that much more expensive these days.

1 minute ago, WATTOO said:

Not only are they the "cheapest" option but quite often they're the "only" option.

I travel with Ryanair at least 10 times per year (in normal circumstances) and I can honestly say that I've never had an issue.

Until such times as our national flag carrier (don't make me laugh) starts flying from airports other than London or the likes of Easyjet start investing in the WOS then I'm afraid it's ALWAYS going to be Ryanair for me as frankly I've no alternative.

I've only ever made one trip with them and that was roughly 20 years ago.  Had no option as they were the only flight to the airport in Denmark we were going to.  this was also way before they started regularly getting bad publicity.

Everything was fine other than the fact after we pushed back from Gatwick the captain then announced over the tannoy we'd be returning to the gate as they needed to fuel up 😲

35 minutes ago, Left Back said:

It's no surprise to anyone that Ryanair are being c***s.  I know people that book with them all the time because they're the cheapest option for where they want to go but I always reckon at some point they'll get fucked over.

I flew Ryanair once, guy said the beers were 5 Euros, I told him I only had Pounds and he said that was fine. I handed him a fiver, he handed me a beer and walked away. If I'd realised the price of the beer was actually "5 of any currency you have" I'd have given him Yen. 

1 hour ago, 101 said:

Shouldn't be surprised with these charlatans but this just re-enforces the point. Do not under any circumstances fly with these arseholes.

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/2021/10/repay-amounts-won-by-chargeback-or-you-can-t-board-your-upcoming/

Half a story

Headline could well be.

Customers who wrongly claim refunds using chargeback etc etc.

These flights went and this was purely an insurance matter.

Insurance policies were paying out for FCO advising against travel.

Reading terms and conditions is  important.

Edited by superbigal

37 minutes ago, Left Back said:

I've only ever made one trip with them and that was roughly 20 years ago.  Had no option as they were the only flight to the airport in Denmark we were going to.  this was also way before they started regularly getting bad publicity.

Everything was fine other than the fact after we pushed back from Gatwick the captain then announced over the tannoy we'd be returning to the gate as they needed to fuel up 😲

I regularly fly from Prestwick (as just beside me) and Ryanair are the only airline, however they're great down there as the airport is always empty and only ever the one or 2 flights at around the same time.

Generally you get return flights to Malaga, Barcelona, Faro, Majorca etc for around £50 to £70 return (sometimes even much cheaper)with the Canaries an extra £20 to £30 and it's then up to you whether or not you pay the extra which is normally between £3 and £10 for a specific seat and £10 for speedy boarding with a 10kg cabin case included. If you don't fancy the extras then it's not a major issue at Prestwick as they're not too strict and as the airport is quiet, the "normal" queue is only literally 2 mins behind the "speedy" one. If you want to add a 20kg hold case, then it's about £25 to £30 extra per flight.

The other bonus with Ryanair is the size of their fleet and the fact that Prestwick is a base as well as their engineering HQ for the area, as such you always have Aircraft in reserve should they have any technical issues and of course the other thing which is often missed with Ryanair is that they have among the newest / youngest fleet of aircraft around.

I used to fly quite regularly with Easyjet, Wizz and also Jet2 and Norwegian occasionally and honestly there's very little between any of them other than the fact Norwegian has free wifi on the planes, but as far as service and rules / restrictions were concerned, they were all much of a muchness, despite the constant negative press that Ryanair seems to attract.

As I say, don't be put off.

5 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

If they successfully received the funds through chargeback then it wasn't a wrongful claim.

Not necessarily, the customers Bank can initiate the chargeback / section 75 process on the back of the evidence provided, however the actual merchant can then counter claim and add evidence which will cause the dispute to be declined, in which case the customers account will be debited accordingly.

Not necessarily, the customers Bank can initiate the chargeback / section 75 process on the back of the evidence provided, however the actual merchant can then counter claim and add evidence which will cause the dispute to be declined, in which case the customers account will be debited accordingly.

That's what I said. If they successfully got through that process then their claim was legitimate.

20 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

That's what I said. If they successfully got through that process then their claim was legitimate.

Without trying to bore anyone with the actual process, but basically the funds will virtually always be refunded as part of the guarantee prior to the actual investigation, however said investigation quite often uncovers much more information which then results in the dispute being declined as opposed to upheld.

If the dispute is declined, then the customer who made the claim and was originally refunded would then be re-debited.

Daily Summary for @oaksoft :   Deaths 30 (27 day before),  ICU cases 51 down 0  (7 new admissions),  In hospital with confirmed Covid  918 down 17  (109 admissions).    

Figures for Jags.  1st Vaccines  4,631 to 4,372  2nd vaccines   1,702 to 2,284

Daily Cases Update: A pleasant suprise after 4 days on the rise we are down 0.45% albeit positivity up again to 8.3%  Looks like another fall tomorrow.  Still think we are stuck at 300+ for a while yet.

Cases certainly back on the rise in the UK in all nations. Another near 43K cases today.

Total Cases Scotland 7 days 4th October to 10th October  were  17,295 to 17,217 down 0.45%, Positivity was 8.2% now 8.3%.  Cases per 100K were 316.4 now 315.0

Home Nations Daily Cases per 100K update  :  UK Average 363.3 to 372.6 up 2.56%, England  357.2 to 366.8 up 2.69%, Wales 520.8 to 528.9 up 1.56%, Northern Ireland   440.6 to 454.8 up 3.22%

In Europe for travellers (Countries Population over 3 Million) Serbia 504.8 (weekly change -11%), Romania 480.6 (weekly up 23%), Bulgaria 225.7 (Weekly up 16%), Croatia 223.7 (weekly up 3%), Moldova 220.6 (Weekly up 7%), Ukraine 207.6(Week up 39%), Ireland  199.6 (Weekly up 14%), Slovakia 177.8 (weekly up 27%)These are the only countries over 150 cases per 100K.   The Baltic states Lithuania 571, Latvia 547 & Estonia 486 with smaller populations are in a bad way 

At the other end for holiday makers  Spain 25.8,  Italy 30.1, Portugal 42.6, France 45.0, Cyprus 75.4, Greece 149.8, Turkey 243.3

Scotland  peaks in wave 4 at 817.1 for 1st Sep to 7th Sep, (UK was 392.1), Cases that day were 44,663 and positivity 12.5%

Scotland peaks in Wave 3 at 425.1 for 27th June to 3rd July, (UK was 229.9) . Cases that day were 23,222 and positivity 10.8%

Scotland  peaked in wave 2 at 301.9 for figures 29th Dec to 4th Jan, (UK was 642.1)    Cases that day were 16,496 and test positivity rate was 11.9%  

Council progress in last 24 Hours as follows.

Click cases by neighbourhood to see the spread on the geographical map. 
https://public.tableau.com/profile/phs.covid.19#!/vizhome/COVID-19DailyDashboard_15960160643010/Overview

Stirling   490.0 to 487.9 

West Lothian  466.8 to 464.0

Dundee City  447.5 to 438.8 

Aberdeenshire   404.6 to 404.6  

Fife  401.5 to 402.0

East Ayrshire  400.5 to 397.2

East Renfrewshire  366.4 to 372.7

Falkirk   388.0 to 369.3

North Lanarkshire   371.1 to 367.9 

Moray  351.1 to 354.2 

North Ayrshire   328.5 to 344.9

Scottish  Borders   327.1 to 338.4

BELOW AVERAGE  

South Lanarkshire  328.8 to 312.9

Angus     295.3 to 303.1

Renfrewshire   299.3 to 300.5  

West Dunbartonshire    306.8 to 295.4

Perth & Kinross    291.6 to 293.6

Dumfries & Galloway  306.8 to 285.3

East Dunbartonshire    304.4 to 283.2

Clackmannanshire  263.2 to 269.1

Aberdeen City   272.4 to 265.9

Glasgow City 266.7 to 261.5

Inverclyde   254.3 to 255.6

East Lothian  244.7 to 249.3

South Ayrshire   241.7 to 246.1

City Of Edinburgh  228.6 to 241.3

Midlothian  248.0 to 238.3

Argyll & Bute   235.3 to 237.6

Highlands   206.4 to 214.9

Western Isles   143.4 to 132.1

Shetland Islands   113.7 to 109.3

Orkney Islands    71.4 to 75.9

Edited by superbigal

3 hours ago, welshbairn said:

The only extra I pay for is a aisle seat, usually about a fiver, which entitles you to an extra full sized cabin bag and priority boarding.

I don't think this is true. I fly with Ryanair fairly regularly as I have a couple of pals in France, Ryanair fly to all the tiny airports down the south of France. Paying for a seat is one fee, and priority (2 cabin bags) is entirely separate. They do this glorious scam of saying priority is something like £25 as you select the flight, then offer it as £15 just as you're about to finally book. I've never found them to be that difficult regardless, they're a budget airline, you get what you pay for.

I think EasyJet used to run the system you've described above where if you booked a seat you get the extra bag but I am fairly sure they changed that policy around 2 years ago to be in line with the Ryanair policy. 

18 minutes ago, Big Fifer said:

I don't think this is true. I fly with Ryanair fairly regularly as I have a couple of pals in France, Ryanair fly to all the tiny airports down the south of France. Paying for a seat is one fee, and priority (2 cabin bags) is entirely separate. They do this glorious scam of saying priority is something like £25 as you select the flight, then offer it as £15 just as you're about to finally book. I've never found them to be that difficult regardless, they're a budget airline, you get what you pay for.

I think EasyJet used to run the system you've described above where if you booked a seat you get the extra bag but I am fairly sure they changed that policy around 2 years ago to be in line with the Ryanair policy. 

That's how I remember it, maybe they were doing a special offer. Didn't cost much to book a seat, 2 bags and priority boarding anyway.

one.jpg.6ba2b7205fa4764063eb4774e6c2cad2.jpg

Edited by welshbairn

Home Nations Daily Cases per 100K update  :  UK Average 363.3 to 372.6 up 2.56%, England  357.2 to 366.8 up 2.69%, Wales 520.8 to 528.9 up 1.56%, Northern Ireland   440.6 to 454.8 up 3.22%  Scotland 316.4 to 315.0 down 0.45%

42,776 cases today in UK.

Deaths 136 with Scotland still have a disproportionate 22%.   Been like this for weeks now.

Edited by superbigal

3 hours ago, craigkillie said:

The story said they were all Amex chargebacks so they obviously took a different approach to Visa and Mastercard.

People who try to pay at a bar or a till with Amex are the worst so i'm verging towards Ryanair here.

Edited by Detournement

1 hour ago, Detournement said:

The story said they were all Amex chargebacks so they obviously took a different approach to Visa and Mastercard.

People who try to pay at a bar or a till with Amex are the worst so i'm verging towards Ryanair here.

The Snobbery Thread for this pish.

https://www.glasgowlive.co.uk/news/glasgow-news/face-masks-classrooms-set-scrapped-21830268

Masks in schools to be binned. Surely they still can’t expect adults to wear them in supermarkets etc after this change. 
It's only while they are sitting in a class. Still to be worn in corridors, when moving between classes etc which is more akin to the rules in shops. Haven't they already said the mask rules in shops, public transport etc will remain until the Spring of next year ?