Coronavirus (COVID-19)

1 hour ago, williemillersmoustache said:

Restricting movement is an absolutely standard public health response. This has nothing to do with nationality. Swing. Miss. 

Except... the WHO quite explicitly do not recommend border restrictions as a means of 'infection control', you fucking ghoul.

1 hour ago, Billy Jean King said:

What's the argument here ? The outcome of the report today is that we should have went into full lockdown SOONER. We were too slow in closing borders etc.

Are you arguing against this as it seems from previous posts that most folk were in agreement with this eg folk quoting Leitch saying it was fine for large events still to be going ahead when he was clearly wrong.

Err, closing borders in early/mid-March 2020 would have made no difference whatsoever seeing as Covid was already seeded in the UK in JANUARY. Unless we are at the revisionist stage where we are claiming we should have shut everything down in January 2020. Absolutely ludicrous, hilarious stuff.

Of course, central and eastern European countries 'shut their borders' before the UK did. They avoided any significant wave in spring 2020, only to be battered worse than the UK was in winter 2020, ending up with similar overall outcomes per capita. This, of course, is rather inconvenient for the 'lock down and shut the borders sooner!!111' mob.

Let's not forget that many of the clowns dining out on this report - as if it is meant to be some sort of revelation - are the same doughnuts who were telling us unlocking on 19th July was an 'unethical experiment!!111'. Nearly three months later and err, how did that one work out? Clearly, not fully opening up would have been an utterly disastrous decision, so thankfully we didn't listen to said moon howlers.

2 hours ago, Billy Jean King said:
2 hours ago, Michael W said:
I think a lot of people organising these type of events simply cannot be arsed. 

I doubt the organisers of London's NY celebration fall into that category. If it's "too risky" this year with 90% vaccinated and the virus endemic you begin to wonder just how much what we used to do will not be returning. Be the best part of 3 years into this before this event takes place again if at all.

I'd suggest lack of planning time and an opportunity to save money are the biggest drivers here. 

1 hour ago, NotThePars said:

Anyway I’m coming back up north for a night out at The Barrowlands do I need the Scottish Covid app or can I use the English one? Has the vaccine passports come into effect and how stringent is it? They’re half-arsedly glancing at the apps here as you go into venues.

The English one works in Scotland. 

30 minutes ago, Elixir said:

Err, closing borders in early/mid-March 2020 would have made no difference whatsoever seeing as Covid was already seeded in the UK in JANUARY. Unless we are at the revisionist stage where we are claiming we should have shut everything down in January 2020. Absolutely ludicrous, hilarious stuff.

So what do you think should have happened when it was first known about? Would you have done anything differently at that stage if you were in power, even in retrospect if you prefer?

Edited by welshbairn

1 hour ago, welshbairn said:

:1eye

We should have followed a true communist's advice instead, Lukashenko of Belarus.

Even ignoring what other posters have pointed out about the efficacy of it it's also become blatantly apparent that the most well-meaning of public health pleas to close borders has been effortlessly coopted by the insane nativist contingent leading the government of the UK. Hence why you go for this desperate stuff.

53 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

Just as an aside, renting seems to be a bit mental at the moment. I remember the days where you could view a series of properties over a couple of days, make an offer and move in within a fortnight subject to references.

Now my daughter is finding that properties are being let within hours of going up on Zoopla. There isn't time to book viewings and people are having to take properties from photos or a video (both of which could be years out of date).

Has it always been this bad trying to find properties in city locations or is covid causing some of this somehow?

The place I got back in May had 80 applications within a day of going up. I've seen other folk tweeting about how they were subject to bidding wars for flats where rent started at, say, 750 pcm and was going up to over a grand by the time they were let to people.

6 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

Even ignoring what other posters have pointed out about the efficacy of it it's also become blatantly apparent that the most well-meaning of public health pleas to close borders has been effortlessly coopted by the insane nativist contingent leading the government of the UK. Hence why you go for this desperate stuff.

Eh? You really think trying to restrict travel and spread during a pandemic is the same as trying to stop the Great Replacement? Perhaps I should have put a sarcastic emoji in when I called Lukashenko a true communist, if there is such a thing.

19 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

So what do you think should have happened when it was first known about? Would you have done anything differently at that stage if you were in power, even in retrospect if you prefer?

Without the benefit of hindsight I highly doubt much would have changed at all. With the benefit of hindsight and given cases peaked prior to both 'lockdowns' being implemented, I would have mitigated more along the lines of Sweden's approach, given it was holistic and appreciated all types of trade-offs. Denmark had better outcomes but I'm sceptical their approach would work UK-wide. That said, knowing a vaccine would begin being administered in December 2020, more restrictive measures would have been more tolerable if we then lifted more/all restrictions after the vulnerable were catered for. The health service certainly wasn't going to fall over from April/May 2021 onwards - the last three months have shown what a nonsense pissing away most of the summer was, certainly in Scotland.

17 minutes ago, Snafu said:

The anger I have over the domestic vaccination passport towards our government in Hollyrood this including the Greens who have betrayed their own core principles for this so called power share.

As a former proud, card carrying Green, they can go f**k themselves.

Their abandonment of core values has made me lose what little faith I had in politicians.

28 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Eh? You really think trying to restrict travel and spread during a pandemic is the same as trying to stop the Great Replacement? Perhaps I should have put a sarcastic emoji in when I called Lukashenko a true communist, if there is such a thing.

Whether you like it or not the Tories immediately coopted the progressive pleas to close the border to suit their nativist agenda, that's pretty apparent. 

10 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

Yeah she is facing that as well. Getting agencies to answer the phone or emails or call is proving tricky.

What city are you in?

Manchester. I don't know if it's an extreme example here given the rapid gentrification but there's also a ton of building going on. I don't ever remember not facing a protracted search for a flat in Glasgow either though.

14 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

Whether you like it or not the Tories immediately coopted the progressive pleas to close the border to suit their nativist agenda, that's pretty apparent. 

That's shite, they started it with Brexit and refused to put India on the red list even when Delta was exploding.

Edited by welshbairn

21 minutes ago, Snafu said:

the inner circle had already caught the virus on purpose as early as possible.

Am I being whooshed or has this thread gone full tinfoil hat? Given that they spent far more on unproven vaccines, it wouldn't surprise me if they ordered hydroxychloroquine just in case it proved effective.

30 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

That's shite, they started it with Brexit and refused to put India on the red list even when Delta was exploding.

You mean they kept the dirty forriners out due to a non existent threat to people’s jobs, but not due to a non existent threat to public health?

Is the problem now that they didn’t base public policy on some bizarre and contradictory moral line in the sand?

1 minute ago, anotherchance said:

You mean they kept the dirty forriners out due to a non existent threat to people’s jobs, but not due to a non existent threat to public health?

Is the problem now that they didn’t base public policy on some bizarre and contradictory moral line in the sand?

You think the public health threat in early 2020 from imported covid was non existent? I really don't get where you're going with this.