Coronavirus (COVID-19)

How can the MPs in the report be sure that the response at the start of the pandemic directly resulted in a particular outcome?

Other countries with stricter responses had similar or worse outcomes and many with less drastic measures had better outcomes. It seems impossible to quantify the impact of lockdown.

Putting Covid positive people into care homes and withdrawing health services should be the focus. We know that those decisions killed and are still killing people. 

Edited by Detournement

2 hours ago, williemillersmoustache said:

The red tories shrieking utter shite about the Nike Conference for the umpteenth time are suspiciously quiet this morning about the commons report which eviscerates those murdering clowns down south for "the UK's worst public health failure."

Funny. That.

Screenshot_2021-10-12_08.55.25-removebg-preview (1).png

1 hour ago, williemillersmoustache said:

Ah yes the tried and tested UK Public enquiry format of waiting until everyone involved is dead or doolally.

I must have been imagining the very different approach taken and being called for desperately by the Scottish Government throughout late February and March 2020? Oh wait, no, they were in complete alignment with the UK Government and all their failings. Deal with it.

In any case, this utterly pointless report is blatant arse covering which doesn't even acknowledge that 'lockdowns' are themselves a catastrophe for so many reasons, or that places pretty much everywhere in central and eastern Europe shut up shop early and had next to no wave in spring 2020, only to then be utterly devastated in winter 2020 - ending up with the same or even worse overall outcomes per capita than the UK.

As ever, the belief that we could control such an infectious respiratory virus is largely hubris. It was extremely good fortune and the only true scientific genius of the whole shit show that vaccines were developed as quickly as they were.

4 minutes ago, Elixir said:

I must have been imagining the very different approach taken and being called for desperately by the Scottish Government throughout late February and March 2020? Oh wait, no, they were in complete alignment with the UK Government and all their failings. Deal with it.

In any case, this utterly pointless report is blatant arse covering which doesn't even acknowledge that 'lockdowns' are themselves a catastrophe for so many reasons, or that places pretty much everywhere in central and eastern Europe shut up shop early and had next to no wave in spring 2020, only to then be utterly devastated in winter 2020 - ending up with the same or even worse overall outcomes per capita than the UK.

As ever, the belief that we could control such an infectious respiratory virus is largely hubris. It was extremely good fortune and the only true scientific genius of the whole shit show that vaccines were developed as quickly as they were.

I think what you are imagining is a world where the Sottish Government could have reasonably locked down before the UK government, where in fact closing the schools half an hour earlier than the tories was described as a "borderline coup d'etat."

I'm sure this is a convenient fiction for you to indulge in but a fiction is what it is.

Few places have had a worse outcome than the UK in Europe but do feel free to sing Rule Britannia over the fact we didn't do quite as badly as Slovakia or the far right populist lunatic led Hungary with all the multiple advantages that we have. Brings a tear to the eye that. GSTQ

I note you aren't too interested in the far better outcomes in Asia where stricter measures have been in place as they don't really fit into your foaming narrative about "the catastrophe of lockdowns."

And in case I haven't made myself clear please do enjoy this further Colin Montgomerie head which will hopefully adequately elucidate the absolute contempt I hold you and your puddledrinking opinions in.

Screenshot_2021-10-12_11.59.25-removebg-preview (1).png

25 minutes ago, williemillersmoustache said:

I think what you are imagining is a world where the Sottish Government could have reasonably locked down before the UK government, where in fact closing the schools half an hour earlier than the tories was described as a "borderline coup d'etat."

I'm sure this is a convenient fiction for you to indulge in but a fiction is what it is.

Few places have had a worse outcome than the UK in Europe but do feel free to sing Rule Britannia over the fact we didn't do quite as badly as Slovakia or the far right populist lunatic led Hungary with all the multiple advantages that we have. Brings a tear to the eye that. GSTQ

I note you aren't too interested in the far better outcomes in Asia where stricter measures have been in place as they don't really fit into your foaming narrative about "the catastrophe of lockdowns."

And in case I haven't made myself clear please do enjoy this further Colin Montgomerie head which will hopefully adequately elucidate the absolute contempt I hold you and your puddledrinking opinions in.

Screenshot_2021-10-12_11.59.25-removebg-preview (1).png

What advantages do we have? The UK is full of obese people being kept alive by cocktails of drugs.

3 minutes ago, Detournement said:

What advantages do we have? The UK is full of obese people being kept alive by cocktails of drugs.

I have you on ignore and have done for years so please take this as an unusual and unlikely to be repeated compliment.

We have an advanced, modern, universal health care system, we have excellent local public health teams, we're a group of islands so no uncontrollable land borders, we have some of the very best medical science and research centres on earth and we had a 4-8 week head start. Almost all of which we pissed up the wall.

The advantages the UK had I think are two-fold:

(1) An advanced healthcare system; 

(2) Early warning of how this could affect a country with a similarly good healthcare system. 

(2) above was wasted because the science said there was no need to lockdown or introduce restrictions. When that happened, we had fucked it and were on the backfoot. Rangers played Bayer Leverkusen in front of a full house, Cheltenham happened, various gigs were allowed to go ahead and Liverpool played Atletico Madrid at Anfield, with travelling supporters allowed from one of the epicentres of the virus at the time. All brushed off by the science. 

Once (2) had happened, that was it. I doubt many would argue that lockdown came too late following this.

I also think there were a number of disadvantages that the UK had: a comparatively unhealthy population, London being Europe's largest air transportation hub, holiday destinations also being the areas the virus was starting to pick up and consequently brought in and spread throughout the country and a big dependence on imported goods. 

One thing often overlooked is that whilst countries suffered from the virus, the worst of it was confined to usually particular parts of the country. For example, Catalonia/Madrid in Spain, Ile de France (Paris region) and Lombardy in Italy. In the UK, the entire country took the blast. 

15 minutes ago, doulikefish said:

Very early on in this thread folk were talking about the scientists would get chucked under the bus for the governments actions seems to be the case now.

The scientists are in a no win position. If the politicians follow their advice and it goes wrong, govt simply blames the bad advice. If the government goes against the advice and it goes wrong, they blame the scientists for not pushing them harder. 

This is why Whitty and Vallance point out repeatedly that they are advisers and not decision makers.

Edited by Donathan

My daughter (11 yr old) tested positive on Saturday from a LF test and PCR on Sunday. Me and the missus testing negative from PCR on Sunday and negative on LF tests since.

The rules are bizarre. You’d think with a positive in your household everyone would have to isolate for ten days.

4 minutes ago, 8MileBU said:

My daughter (11 yr old) tested positive on Saturday from a LF test and PCR on Sunday. Me and the missus testing negative from PCR on Sunday and negative on LF tests since.

The rules are bizarre. You’d think with a positive in your household everyone would have to isolate for ten days.

They scrapped that if you’re double jabbed.

3 minutes ago, doulikefish said:

Very early on in this thread folk were talking about the scientists would get chucked under the bus for the governments actions seems to be the case now.

Maybe their advice shouldn't have been totally shit, then. 

They belong under the bus with the politicians. It's not enough to just throw your hands in the air and say "we just don't know" or "we did everything we could". It's not unreasonable to expect that medical professionals know far more about these sorts of thing than the likes of Johnson, Raab and Hancock. They weren't screaming at them for weeks to lockdown or introduce restrictions - if they were and were ignored then they'd be absolved of blame. But that wasn't what happened. 

The advice they gave was badly wrong, the decisions based on that advice were in turn badly wrong and, eventually, also too late. 

Saying that, the blame lies squarely with the government for subsequent bunglings. "The advice was shit" is a time-limited mitigation and only part of the story. 

A colleague of mine has tested positive for Covid. He was teaching face to face last week, and was at an open day at the weekend. 

Had some amount of stuff to do to report to the uni that he was at home and not coming in and cancelling his class.

24 minutes ago, 8MileBU said:

Hope she’s okay, same thing happened with one of our neighbors the boy at school was positive and the rest of the household was negative on all tests, couple weeks later the mum came up positive.

17 minutes ago, Donathan said:

They scrapped that if you’re double jabbed.

Yeah I know. Just seems odd that with a positive case in my household, in the hours between returning a negative I could turn positive and unwittingly pass it on to someone else who may not be double jabbed. My daughter for example was displaying various Covid symptoms for the best part of 2 days but returning negative tests before her positive.

As crap as it sounds and I wouldn’t want to myself, it just seems like a safer option for everyone in a household to isolate for 10 days if there’s anyone tests positive. 

The only plus is that she’s had little more than a heavy cold and lousy headache which have gradually eased. Her crabbitness and moaning on Saturday were on another level though! 

1 hour ago, williemillersmoustache said:

Jason 'Clownshoes' Leitch was all for letting an Old Firm game take place on March 15th 2020, until the SFA of all authorities put a stop to that. But please tell us more about your own fictional timeline in which the SG - informed by 'The Science' as much as their Westminster colleagues - would have imposed a credible early lockdown.

6 minutes ago, gav-ffc said:

Hope she’s okay, same thing happened with one of our neighbors the boy at school was positive and the rest of the household was negative on all tests, couple weeks later the mum came up positive.

Aye she’s fine mate thanks. As per my reply to @Donathan above, the worst of it has just been her being a crabbit wee fucker! 

21 minutes ago, BigDoddyKane said:

When ordering the 2day NHS tests through Scotgov page link . https://quarantinehotelbookings.ctmportal.co.uk/

How long do they take after ordering to arrive in post?

When are you flying home? They're dropping the test from PCR to LFT sometime this month. You can get cheaper than that anyway. Not sure how long, mine was home when I got back from holiday but it doesn't really matter, it's just the code that proves you've bought it that counts.