Coronavirus (COVID-19)

7 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

It's definitely dependent on management. I've had management in the past who gave me a hard time taking a week off when I had tonsillitis, but similarly I've had management who have told me to go home and rest when I dragged my arse in with what turned out to be the early stages of the flu. When I worked in call centres they had the worst approach to people management I have ever experienced. 

Absolutely, but not everyone has the luxury of choosing where to work (and, by extension, choosing their management).

Oaft, some nerve from Sturgeon turning up for this after she has used Scottish aviation as a play thing these past 18 months. The folk at Glasgow Airport should have launched her straight out the door.

3 hours ago, TheScarf said:

I hate a grass as much as the next cat, but I have to admit on being one for the only time in my life back in mid-May 2015.  It was the week before the cup final and the office arsehole; some fat, grotesque, toothless Geordie, came in coughing and spluttering everywhere and one everyone.  I was terrified I'd catch whatever he had, he sounded like he wasn't long for the world, and I'd miss the cup final.

I walked up to my boss, who said arsehole sat near, and said loudly 'You need to send him home, I'm not missing the cup final because I'm dying of the flu next week because of him.'

About 10 minutes later, he was away home.  I got a glare off him but just smiled back.  c**t was off for 3 weeks.  What we saw in the office was just the start of it.

Fucking stay at home if you're ill.  

2 hours ago, Gaz said:

Staying at home if you're ill should be an absolute given, but I'm reluctant to criticise folk for not doing when they are scared of going onto a period of "attendance management" or something similar (that's disciplinary in all but name).

It would be a lot easier if employers had to at least pay a minimum period at full pay for sickness, I'm fortunate enough that I get full pay when I am off sick, but my brother is instantly reduced to SSP if he goes off, even a couple of days off is the difference between paying the bills or not for a lot of people.

5 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

It would be a lot easier if employers had to at least pay a minimum period at full pay for sickness, I'm fortunate enough that I get full pay when I am off sick, but my brother is instantly reduced to SSP if he goes off, even a couple of days off is the difference between paying the bills or not for a lot of people.

^^^^^

People being worried to miss a day or two of work is not something that should be on them to worry about. It's a societal issue that should be addressed. 

1 hour ago, TheScarf said:

Aye that's a given.  However folk who are at it ruin it for everyone else; the folk who are genuinely ill. 

This guy was showing blatant disregard for his colleagues.  The best part was that we all had laptops and could VPN into the network.  He didn't even have to be off sick. He could've just worked from home for 3 weeks and kept his absence record intact. 

I agree this guy shouldn't be at work but the part in bold worries me a bit too and I think it's dangerous territory. If that guy is ill enough to be off for 3 weeks then I don't think he should really be working at all. My boss worked from home last Monday as he wasn't feeling well, went for a covid test which was negative but later that night was spewing up. He signed onto the network from home each day and entered our morning meetings via Teams, looking like death was about to take him away. My worry is that there now becomes an expectation of people to continue working from home when they're sick. I don't want to phone in one morning saying I'm dying with a cold or flu and struggling to get out of bed just to be met with "just work from your bed". 

I’ve been a people/line manager for about 10 years. I read here about managers “pulling people up” and “giving people a hard time” about things and I honestly struggle to understand. Similarly when I see other managers doing these things, it baffles me. 

I don’t understand how some imaginary hierarchy actually gives people the brass neck to behave in that way towards other human beings. What right do they feel they have?

I have never needed to give anyone a hard time. Sometimes I need to talk to people about certain things or ask for things to be done differently but you just treat it as a conversation between 2 adults. There is no need to flex “power” or be in any way confrontational. 

With this approach I’ve found that the work gets done well, I get good manager review scores and team engagement scores are high. 

I would love to understand what drives people to treat other people like c***s. I cannot see the benefit to anyone.

4 minutes ago, Thorongil said:

I’ve been a people/line manager for about 10 years. I read here about managers “pulling people up” and “giving people a hard time” about things and I honestly struggle to understand. Similarly when I see other managers doing these things, it baffles me. 

I don’t understand how some imaginary hierarchy actually gives people the brass neck to behave in that way towards other human beings. What right do they feel they have?

I have never needed to give anyone a hard time. Sometimes I need to talk to people about certain things or ask for things to be done differently but you just treat it as a conversation between 2 adults. There is no need to flex “power” or be in any way confrontational. 

With this approach I’ve found that the work gets done well, I get good manager review scores and team engagement scores are high. 

I would love to understand what drives people to treat other people like c***s. I cannot see the benefit to anyone.

It's not necessarily their fault (although some people are wankers and will get a kick out of it).

Lots of people get promoted to positions where they have staff only because they're the best at being staff.  Doesn't mean they'll make good people managers.

It's called the Peter Principle.

46 minutes ago, Thorongil said:

^ ^ ^ Bill Gates.

I've been a people manager for many years and if any of my staff are off sick I whack their bollocks in a vise and start tightening it.  They are my property.  I own them and if they don't do what I want I am entitled to hurt them.

2 hours ago, Michael W said:

Completely agree. Not to mention the potential loss of earnings due to company policies in many cases seeing the first couple of days being unpaid. And of course disciplinary action potentially be instigated should the employee concerned have dared to spend two days off sick previously in the last 12 months. Had appendicitis, did you? That's too bad - you shouldn't have gone and picked up that flu there as well, slacker. 

There was also an attitude prevalent at my former employer whereby if you deemed yourself too sick to come into the office, you were told you were too sick to work at home. This has predictable consequences: everyone in the office ends up with a stinking cold. By no means will every employer have this counterproductive attitude, but it's something that really ought to be addressed. Especially now that the first hint of a sneeze has people on edge, attitudes really ought to change. I got the impression that they hadn't, though. 

I intensely dislike a lot of the 'new normal' shite people come out with, but we know from experience that a mild cold is not an impediment to working and therefore not an automatic sick day. Let people work from home when this happens and prevent the entire office being gifted a few days of coughing thanks to arcane HR policies. 

I appreciate not everyone can work from home, but those that are able to do so should in such circumstances. Naturally people should also be taking actual sick days when illness impairs their ability to work. WFH should equally not be used to pressurise people into working when they are unwell just because they are able to work from their bedroom and don't have to get on a train for 40mins.

I dont understand managers who give staff grief for being off sick at all. If my staff member came in sick then they risk infecting the rest of my team. Also theres a safety aspect, if they are ill they aren’t on the ball and mistakes happen. Ive got a zero tolerance for people coming in sick and quite happy to tell people to go home. It also means that attendance support meetings are easy enough to conduct because the staff are more likely to be open and honest with you about problems. 

19 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

I've been a people manager for many years and if any of my staff are off sick I whack their bollocks in a vise and start tightening it.  They are my property.  I own them and if they don't do what I want I am entitled to hurt them.

You're getting your staff mixed up with your clients, who pay you handsomely for your services.

Iv been fortunate enough to have only ever had one proper arsehole of a direct supervisor. A bully boy type, but that was brief and when I was only 18. Nowadays, I dont know how I would handle an arsehole gaffer but I think despite having worked witg plenty of arseholes over the years and always managed to make it function at least, I would struggle. Imagine being in your mid 30s or older and somecunt thinking they can "give you a row" based on their perception of your work.....

Totally baffling behaviour. Iv heard of it happening in my work too, so maybe im closer than I think to this but I just cant picture the mindsets involved.

Bit of a ramble I suppose.... But still, feeds into the nonsense of line managers and colleagues making assumptions that people are immediately at it when off sick

1 hour ago, Thorongil said:

Clearly you went to a different school of management from the university managers I have interacted with. Some of these people are the roastiest roasters. 

Are you not confusing yourself with your colleague who gets you all to do his work?

Daily Summary for @oaksoft :   Deaths 34(21 day before),  ICU cases 68 up 3  (7 new admissions),  In hospital with confirmed Covid  988 down 10  (86 admissions).    Not a great day with the morgue being extremely busy and ICU still rising regardless of those patients moving downstairs.

Figures for Jags.  1st Vaccines   5,779 to 5,492  2nd vaccines   2,538 to 2,451 

Daily Cases Update: 26 days in a row of falls now with a tiny drop of 0.57% to 312.4 and I expect a further tiny fall tomorrow.  

Todays number of cases 3055 if confirmed may mean we hit our trough tomorrow, and may see a rise in cases again. Bottoming out at over 300 would be pretty poor stuff compared to the rest of Europe. 3 of the big 4 cities are all back with rising cases.

Total Cases Scotland 7 days 27th September to 3rd October  were 17,172 to 17,074 down 0.57%, Positivity was 7.9% now 7.8%.  Cases per 100K were 314.2 now 312.4

Home Nations Daily Cases per 100K update  :  UK Average  348.4 to 343.9 down 1.29%, England  337.6 to 334.8 down 0.83%, Wales 535.5 to 512.4 down 4.31%, Northern Ireland   403.3 to 401.1 down 0.55%

In Europe for travellers (Countries Population over 3 Million) Serbia 565.8 (weekly change up 8%), Romania 389.6 (weekly up 56%), Croatia 216.3 (weekly up 12%), Moldova 205.5 (Weekly up 12%), Bulgaria 194.7 (Weekly up 24%),  Ireland  175.7 (Weekly  -4%),  These are the only countries over 150 cases per 100K.   

At the other end.   Poland 20.9, Spain 29.4, Italy 35.3, France 49.8, Germany 64.1 of the big fish.

Scotland  peaks in wave 4 at 817.1 for 1st Sep to 7th Sep, (UK was 392.1), Cases that day were 44,663 and positivity 12.5%

Scotland peaks in Wave 3 at 425.1 for 27th June to 3rd July, (UK was 229.9) . Cases that day were 23,222 and positivity 10.8%

Scotland  peaked in wave 2 at 301.9 for figures 29th Dec to 4th Jan, (UK was 642.1)    Cases that day were 16,496 and test positivity rate was 11.9%  

Council progress in last 24 Hours as follows.

Click cases by neighbourhood to see the spread on the geographical map. 
https://public.tableau.com/profile/phs.covid.19#!/vizhome/COVID-19DailyDashboard_15960160643010/Overview

West Lothian   464.6 to 476.0  Our new leader is on the rise again.

North Lanarkshire  433.3 to 419.8

Falkirk 404.8 to 408.6  Fairly climbing up to 3rd in the table  possibly due to all cases in @Gaz  household.

Dundee City 393.8 to 393.8

East Dunbartonshire   359.5 to 385.3  Climbs 4 spots with a big 7% rise.

East Ayrshire 381.6 to 377.5  

South Lanarkshire   355.0 to 367.2  Another climber up 3 places 

North Ayrshire 382.1 to 360.5

West Dunbartonshire   353.2 to 355.4  Another chart riser up 2

Stirling   335.9 to 329.5 to 355.0  Up 4 places with a near 8% rise.

South Ayrshire  402.2 to 354.9  Brilliant fall over 10%

Fife  361.4 to 353.4

East Renfrewshire  341.5 to 345.6  

Aberdeenshire  329.8 to 333.2  

Dumfries & Galloway   321.7 to 327.1 

Renfrewshire   329.4 to 319.4 

BELOW AVERAGE

Moray  297.8 to 307.2  Surging up 8 places in 2 days

Glasgow City   301.3 to 302.7  Small rises for 2 days now.

Western Isles  309.4 to 294.3 Oddly plagued at the moment in Barra well over 1000 per 100K

Midlothian 297.4 to 284.5

Clackmannanshire 290.5 to 280.8 

Inverclyde   305.0 to 280.3

Aberdeen City  263.2 to 268.5

Perth & Kinross  248.8 to 251.5  

Argyll & Bute    259.9 to 243.5

Scottish  Borders    222.1 to 236.9

East Lothian   227.1 to 228.9

City Of Edinburgh   207.0 to 198.4

Angus   187.4 to 188.2

Highlands   171.6 to 165.2

Shetland Islands   104.9 to 109.3

Orkney Islands   49.1 to 49.1 

Edited by superbigal

2 hours ago, Elixir said:

Oaft, some nerve from Sturgeon turning up for this after she has used Scottish aviation as a play thing these past 18 months. The folk at Glasgow Airport should have launched her straight out the door.

It's doubtful that she just turned up.  It's rather more likely that she was invited to attend by the folk at Glasgow Airport who, rather than being inclined to launch her out of the door, declare themselves "proud" to welcome her to the event.  Having presumably had direct dealings with her (or at least with her minions) over the past 18 months, they don't appear to consider themselves to have been used as a plaything.