Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Genuine question. Are you a fucking idiot?
Clearly not when he and his pre-school pals would have been right on the main stream media's case for giving overblown coverage to a respiratory disease, rather than just blaming each other for pishing in the sandpit.

2 hours ago, Thereisalight.. said:

In regards to the "difficult winter" shit, why does nobody bring up that the flu killed more folk in 1989 than the covid FiRsT wAvE!!! Albeit I was only 4 at the time but I dont remember the country shutting down and politicians and MSM shitting the bed. Simpler times when a respiratory virus was treated as such 🙄

I remember thinking that a second wave of covid was just scare mongering. Not sure if we're on the 4th or fifth now, 137,000 deaths and counting.

I hate a grass as much as the next cat, but I have to admit on being one for the only time in my life back in mid-May 2015.  It was the week before the cup final and the office arsehole; some fat, grotesque, toothless Geordie, came in coughing and spluttering everywhere and one everyone.  I was terrified I'd catch whatever he had, he sounded like he wasn't long for the world, and I'd miss the cup final.

I walked up to my boss, who said arsehole sat near, and said loudly 'You need to send him home, I'm not missing the cup final because I'm dying of the flu next week because of him.'

About 10 minutes later, he was away home.  I got a glare off him but just smiled back.  Cunt was off for 3 weeks.  What we saw in the office was just the start of it.

Fucking stay at home if you're ill.  

Fucking stay at home if you're ill.  

I work in an office where most of my colleagues are mums. I've lost count of the number of times one of them has come in feeling like shite to then helpfully tell us her wee one was up spewing and shitting all through the night with "whatevers been going around". f**k the f**k off.

Of course it doesn't help that your employer is terrified of the public perception of sickness absence and brings in nonsense "back to work" interviews even for a single fucking day off sick.

Staying at home if you're ill should be an absolute given, but I'm reluctant to criticise folk for not doing when they are scared of going onto a period of "attendance management" or something similar (that's disciplinary in all but name).

22 minutes ago, Gaz said:

Staying at home if you're ill should be an absolute given, but I'm reluctant to criticise folk for not doing when they are scared of going onto a period of "attendance management" or something similar (that's disciplinary in all but name).

Aye that's a given.  However folk who are at it ruin it for everyone else; the folk who are genuinely ill. 

This guy was showing blatant disregard for his colleagues.  The best part was that we all had laptops and could VPN into the network.  He didn't even have to be off sick. He could've just worked from home for 3 weeks and kept his absence record intact. 

4 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Aye that's a given.  However folk who are at it ruin it for everyone else; the folk who are genuinely ill. 

This guy was showing blatant disregard for his colleagues.  The best part was that we all had laptops and could VPN into the network.  He didn't even have to be off sick. He could've just worked from home for 3 weeks and kept his absence record intact. 

Aye I'd agree with that.

I mind years and years ago when I worked in a call centre and had lost my voice. I was absolutely fine, but unable to work on the phones, and e-mailed in to work offering to come in and help out the admin team (who were perenially short-staffed) - filing, photocopying, that kind of thing - to be told no, and had to take the day as a sick day. The day I came back they're having a meeting with me talking about 'managing my attendance' and I lost the absolute rag with them.

35 minutes ago, Gaz said:

Completely agree. Not to mention the potential loss of earnings due to company policies in many cases seeing the first couple of days being unpaid. And of course disciplinary action potentially be instigated should the employee concerned have dared to spend two days off sick previously in the last 12 months. Had appendicitis, did you? That's too bad - you shouldn't have gone and picked up that flu there as well, slacker. 

There was also an attitude prevalent at my former employer whereby if you deemed yourself too sick to come into the office, you were told you were too sick to work at home. This has predictable consequences: everyone in the office ends up with a stinking cold. By no means will every employer have this counterproductive attitude, but it's something that really ought to be addressed. Especially now that the first hint of a sneeze has people on edge, attitudes really ought to change. I got the impression that they hadn't, though. 

I intensely dislike a lot of the 'new normal' shite people come out with, but we know from experience that a mild cold is not an impediment to working and therefore not an automatic sick day. Let people work from home when this happens and prevent the entire office being gifted a few days of coughing thanks to arcane HR policies. 

I appreciate not everyone can work from home, but those that are able to do so should in such circumstances. Naturally people should also be taking actual sick days when illness impairs their ability to work. WFH should equally not be used to pressurise people into working when they are unwell just because they are able to work from their bedroom and don't have to get on a train for 40mins.

Edited by Michael W

Absence in our place has completely fallen off a cliff since we started WFH especially amongst the Duvet Monday brigade. It's been so low last 18 months it is barely mentioned as an issue at team meetings, before it was near enough top 3 in the agenda every time.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

Aye I'd agree with that.
I mind years and years ago when I worked in a call centre and had lost my voice. I was absolutely fine, but unable to work on the phones, and e-mailed in to work offering to come in and help out the admin team (who were perenially short-staffed) - filing, photocopying, that kind of thing - to be told no, and had to take the day as a sick day. The day I came back they're having a meeting with me talking about 'managing my attendance' and I lost the absolute rag with them.

A few years back in my old department I noticed there was holiday hours available on the day and I had a sore head so submitted a holiday request only to be asked why I wanted an on the day request. Told them I had a sore head and they cancelled the holiday and told me it was a sick day.

I got pulled up a week later for that

1 hour ago, Gaz said:

My hope from this is that it stops people loaded with whatever cold is going around from going into the office like some kind of martyr. The number of times someone would be coughing & spluttering, snottery tissues on their desk, Lemsip in hand only to then pass it on to all the folk nearby. Just stay the f**k at home until you're not contagious. 

13 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

My hope from this is that it stops people loaded with whatever cold is going around from going into the office like some kind of martyr. The number of times someone would be coughing & spluttering, snottery tissues on their desk, Lemsip in hand only to then pass it on to all the folk nearby. Just stay the f**k at home until you're not contagious. 

That's what I'm saying though. It's not always because they're being a martyr. It can be because they're scared of being put on attendance management procedures or lost wages. Plenty folk on this country have nothing left at the end of each paycheque. A day or two of lost income can be devastating.

Where i work is we run at minimum manning 24/7 and have done for 30+ years, if you’re off sick someone on their rest days have to come out wnd cover you including short notice call outs late at night or early in the morning

You didn’t take time off unless you were physically too ill to come in. It just wasn’t the done thing. Nothing about company loyalty, it was more to your mates who were het if you went off

It was common practice to come in loaded and just stay out folks way as much as possible

4 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

Do you?

Why?

What possible good does it do to stand back and allow people to make others lives a misery?

I have genuinely never understood this attitude.

Am I missing something?

Snitches get stitches blud.

16 minutes ago, effeffsee_the2nd said:

Where i work is we run at minimum manning 24/7 and have done for 30+ years, if you’re off sick someone on their rest days have to come out wnd cover you including short notice call outs late at night or early in the morning

You didn’t take time off unless you were physically too ill to come in. It just wasn’t the done thing. Nothing about company loyalty, it was more to your mates who were het if you went off

It was common practice to come in loaded and just stay out folks way as much as possible

To elaborate, I'm meaning now that it's been proven that basically everybody in my work's job can be done from their kitchen table. I've turned up at jobs in the past absolutely floored with bugs and just got on with it but I don't think there's a point now. My job is desk based so short of locking someone in a cupboard you can't really stay out of anyone's way. 

24 minutes ago, Gaz said:

That's what I'm saying though. It's not always because they're being a martyr. It can be because they're scared of being put on attendance management procedures or lost wages. Plenty folk on this country have nothing left at the end of each paycheque. A day or two of lost income can be devastating.

It's definitely dependent on management. I've had management in the past who gave me a hard time taking a week off when I had tonsillitis, but similarly I've had management who have told me to go home and rest when I dragged my arse in with what turned out to be the early stages of the flu. When I worked in call centres they had the worst approach to people management I have ever experienced.