Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Guest Bob Mahelp
1 hour ago, welshbairn said:

I haven't been asked for contact details or to scan a QR code for months, except once when I was down in Cornwall.

Was down in England last week and the only difference I saw between bars/restaurants there and here, was that in England only around 40% of customers walk in wearing masks. 

In both countries, once you're in masks come off. In both countries, staff always wear masks. We went into the Minster (we were in York) and the railway museum and in both places everyone was wearing masks.  Yes, it's not legally enforceable but indoor places ask to you wear them and as far as I could see pretty much everyone goes along with the request. 

Can't remember the last time I was asked to complete the track & trace in Scotland. Does anyone do that anymore ?

To say that there's a massive difference between England and Scotland is just clearly wrong. 

3 hours ago, ICTChris said:

I can't find a more recent figure, but 1.6m were still on furlough at the end of July - basically two weeks after England's reopening. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-58498433

Goes without saying that anyone still furloughed now is in a precarious position, sadly. Hopefully that number has reduced substantially; whilst no guarantee that someone will keep their job, anyone still furloughed seems an obvious candidate for redundancy when they come round. 

Edited by Michael W

9 minutes ago, Michael W said:

I can't find a more recent figure, but 1.6m were still on furlough at the end of July - basically two weeks after England's reopening. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-58498433

Goes without saying that anyone still furloughed now is in a precarious position, sadly. Hopefully that number has reduced substantially; whilst no guarantee that someone will keep their job, anyone still furloughed seems an obvious candidate for redundancy when they come round. 

Good news is there are huge amounts of vacancies in many of the sectors where the redundancies will likely be happening.

For some hopefully redundancy be a nice little earner before they start somewhere else.

Pubs is the obvious odd one out because anything else would be utterly farcical and even the Scottish Government had to climb down from this.
Bars that also serve as restaurants largely still enforce the theatre, and then there's restaurants more generally along with shops, museums, etc.
Not sure what you mean by artificially high testing in Scotland. Your poster boy Norway has consistently tested between 5-10k per day MORE than we have in the last week. Yesterday for example 23k tests here 34k tests in Norway. Your Trumpian 'our numbers are only high cos we test too much" schtick is nonsense. Our prevelance is WAY higher than the Scandi countries despite recent big falls. If we had infection / hospitalization / death rates they have we too would be in a position to drop restrictions like they have been able to do. Also testing is 100% voluntary, people are CHOOSING to be tested just like they are in Norway. You don't agree with those choosing to be tested but that's their choice. No country is stopping people from testing if they so wish.
I have never had a test, never felt the need but I certainly don't get the rage like you do at those who do feel the need. That is totally their choice and it is most certainly not the test numbers that are stopping the removal of the last few restrictions as Norway clearly demonstrates. Norway last week (ie the here and now) tested more and found less quite simply because the prevelance there is way less than here (3.5% positivity yesterday ). Testing here will not diminish while it is used to prevent isolation. Of course every close contact will take a test to prevent that, just as they do in Norway.

36 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

Was down in England last week and the only difference I saw between bars/restaurants there and here, was that in England only around 40% of customers walk in wearing masks. 

In both countries, once you're in masks come off. In both countries, staff always wear masks. We went into the Minster (we were in York) and the railway museum and in both places everyone was wearing masks.  Yes, it's not legally enforceable but indoor places ask to you wear them and as far as I could see pretty much everyone goes along with the request. 

Can't remember the last time I was asked to complete the track & trace in Scotland. Does anyone do that anymore ?

To say that there's a massive difference between England and Scotland is just clearly wrong. 

Went to Dobbies today with my wife and it was full blown t and t.

41 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

Was asked to do track and trace for going into McDonalds at Waverley Mall on Friday. 

Had a night out on Saturday and the bar stuff didn’t seem to give a f**k if anyone was wearing a mask or do track and trace. 

3 hours ago, Billy Jean King said:
4 hours ago, budmiester1 said:
Just got back from London last night after a long weekend, the difference between Scotland and England is stark. We only wore a mask when we were on public transport and at the airport, everywhere else we didn’t bother, nobody tutted or pointed at us,they just got on with life. Being able to just walk into a pub or restaurant without checking in on TT , walking up to the bar and ordering a beer with no palaver was brilliant.

I'm really not getting that people are not able to walk into a pub, up to a bar and order here without any interventions. It's been that way almost every pub I have been in since the rules changed. I see very few pubs operating differently here now to England and I have been down south now twice since July easing. I'm not being asked to put on a mask or give contact details down in Ayrshire or in Paisley / Glasgow. I don't see 'stark differences" between how pubs are operating here and in England and haven't for weeks now.

I went to get a drink at Glasgow airport in the Beardmore , before I was allowed in I had to complete the track and trace online, not one place in London even batted an eyelid to me walking in. 

1 hour ago, Bob Mahelp said:

Not in my experience in restaurants and bars down in London, the vast majority of staff were not wearing masks and most definitely not the customers.

5 minutes ago, budmiester1 said:

I went to get a drink at Glasgow airport in the Beardmore , before I was allowed in I had to complete the track and trace online, not one place in London even batted an eyelid to me walking in. 

That's because England, like a lot of other countries, accept Covid is just another respiratory virus that will kill very few of all the people who will get it.

51 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

Not sure what you mean by artificially high testing in Scotland. Your poster boy Norway has consistently tested between 5-10k per day MORE than we have in the last week. Yesterday for example 23k tests here 34k tests in Norway. Your Trumpian 'our numbers are only high cos we test too much" schtick is nonsense. Our prevelance is WAY higher than the Scandi countries despite recent big falls. If we had infection / hospitalization / death rates they have we too would be in a position to drop restrictions like they have been able to do. Also testing is 100% voluntary, people are CHOOSING to be tested just like they are in Norway. You don't agree with those choosing to be tested but that's their choice. No country is stopping people from testing if they so wish.
I have never had a test, never felt the need but I certainly don't get the rage like you do at those who do feel the need. That is totally their choice and it is most certainly not the test numbers that are stopping the removal of the last few restrictions as Norway clearly demonstrates. Norway last week (ie the here and now) tested more and found less quite simply because the prevelance there is way less than here (3.5% positivity yesterday ). Testing here will not diminish while it is used to prevent isolation. Of course every close contact will take a test to prevent that, just as they do in Norway.

Are they testing the school bairns where most of our cases are coming from? It's all very good, except masks and vaxx certs are gone over there and won't be reintroduced because they aren't massive bed wetters. Our 'cases' quite literally 'spiked' as high as you could expect after reopening and then schools going back, only for them to continue plummeting after a few weeks. Not once was the health service even close to falling over, despite the self-imposed constraints put on it by ongoing distancing requirements.

Imagine continuing to drone on about 'cases' in a near universally vaccinated population to try and justify pointless theatre that is no longer required. Our nearest neighbour literally proves this, the Nordics are just an inconvenience for the Simps as they can't be accused of being RECKLESS TORIEZZZ11!!!

Edited by Elixir

We were in the Brewing Company in St Andrews a couple of weekends ago and not only did we get asked to scan the QR code the member of staff asked if she could check that I'd done it, same weekend at Balgove Larder we got handed a slip of paper to fill in our details and earlier this month had to scan a code before getting into the Glee Club in Glasgow. In my experience track and trace checks are still being completed. 

5 hours ago, budmiester1 said:

Just got back from London last night after a long weekend, the difference between Scotland and England is stark. We only wore a mask when we were on public transport and at the airport, everywhere else we didn’t bother, nobody tutted or pointed at us,they just got on with life. Being able to just walk into a pub or restaurant without checking in on TT , walking up to the bar and ordering a beer with no palaver was brilliant.

I didnt know England had ditched Track and Trace at restaurants etc. Wonder how long it will be before the SG ditch that and their beloved masks/vaccine passports 

7 minutes ago, ddfg said:

We were in the Brewing Company in St Andrews a couple of weekends ago and not only did we get asked to scan the QR code the member of staff asked if she could check that I'd done it, same weekend at Balgove Larder we got handed a slip of paper to fill in our details and earlier this month had to scan a code before getting into the Glee Club in Glasgow. In my experience track and trace checks are still being completed. 

St Andrews itself has been very hot on playing by the rules due to the large Student population against the very elderly locals.

Currently 29 cases in the borough with a current population of over 20,000.   About 140 per 100K with huge amounts of Students being tested. About 1/3rd of the current Scottish average.

Edited by superbigal

11 minutes ago, superbigal said:

St Andrews itself has been very hot on playing by the rules due to the large Student population against the very elderly locals.

Currently 29 cases in the borough with a current population of over 20,000.   About 140 per 100K with huge amounts of Students being tested. About 1/3rd of the current Scottish average.

We're up here quite a lot and are on a few local FB pages, it was quite heated this time last year with a lot of anti student sentiment. I wasn't aware of increased case number just now but remember the unilateral decision by the Uni to confine students ro their rooms with about 2hrs notice last autumn. 

Edited by ddfg

Are they testing the school bairns where most of our cases are coming from? It's all very good, except masks and vaxx certs are gone over there and won't be reintroduced because they aren't massive bed wetters. Our 'cases' quite literally 'spiked' as high as you could expect after reopening and then schools going back, only for them to continue plummeting after a few weeks. Not once was the health service even close to falling over, despite the self-imposed constraints put on it by ongoing distancing requirements.
Imagine continuing to drone on about 'cases' in a near universally vaccinated population to try and justify pointless theatre that is no longer required. Our nearest neighbour literally proves this, the Nordics are just an inconvenience for the Simps as they can't be accused of being RECKLESS TORIEZZZ11!!!
If they are not testing school kids in Norway (no idea either way) then their tests compared to ours are through the roof. Just going by numbers I presume they are. No idea why your back on about reckless Tories as my response was totally non political, simply pointing out the facts you are determined to ignore. It's not simply a comparison of case numbers, you are right in a highly vaccinated population like both countries are they become less of a factor but Norway are in a position to relax the few remaining rules we haven't simply because their hospital cases, ICU and death numbers are a fraction of ours. If / when we get to those sort if levels then I'm sure we will do likewise.

6 minutes ago, Suspect Device said:

Nippy's statement  to parliament now.

A few nightclubs in Edinburgh have today announced you won’t need to show your vaccine passport for entry. 

Edited by Lyle Lanley