Coronavirus (COVID-19)

https://www.ttgmedia.com/news/shapps-hints-at-cheap-supermarket-tests-for-travel-30618

Affordable supermarket lateral flow tests could be introduced for travellers returning to the UK, transport secretary Grant Shapps has said.

SHAPPS HINTS SUPERMARKETS COULD SELL DAY 2 LATERAL FLOW TESTS

24 SEP 2021 BY WILL PAYNE

Affordable supermarket lateral flow tests could be introduced for travellers returning to the UK, transport secretary Grant Shapps has said.

Shapps said he was "still hopeful" the testing overhaul would be implemented in time for October half-term

Speaking to Sky News, Shapps highlighted how a selection of Lidl stores across the Republic of Ireland have recently put packs of five lateral flow tests on sale for around £20 each.

The government plans to replace the current Day 2 PCR test requirement with a lateral flow test next month, although no date has yet been set.

"I look forward to the expansion of lateral flow tests, perhaps into supermarkets and elsewhere, as we get on to the point where people can buy those for returning from holiday," said Shapps.

But, when asked if a supermarket test should be accepted rather than a more formal means of testing, the transport secretary said it will be up to the Department of Health to decide the new testing rules.

"With PCR tests, you didn’t have to be supervised, you had to get that test in advance, you had to record the fact that you’ve ordered it, but you were then trusted to get on and do it," Shapps continued.

"Obviously the Department of Health will put some guidance in place as to how they want this to operate and they’re still working on that so I won’t tread on their toes, but I have every confidence this system will be up and running in good time."

Shapps added he was "still hopeful" the testing changes would be implemented in time for October half-term.

"We’re working on the detail for this, and the private market is still having to respond to that shift to using lateral flows and of course they’ll need hundreds of thousands, or even millions, of them available," he said. "There’s a big task ahead, but I know my colleagues are working hard on that."

16 minutes ago, superbigal said:

But you can't leave your house in any of these countries if you have the Rona.

No freedom in that surely ?

Nice straw man. Unless you're too ill to leave the house anyway, or are an obsessive hypochondriac, who exactly is going to know if they have Covid?

11 minutes ago, Turkmenbashi said:

Quoting a fascist is not a good look

19 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Ah Peter Sweden, the voice of reason there.

Never heard of Peter Sweden, tbf, but just you keep on simping, lads.

3 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Just repeated what the FM said a couple of days ago, in the next couple of days, so hopefully today. Parliament's closed today though, so it might be later if it has to be announced to the MSPs first. 

hopefully no too much later, going by SG statement earlier in week I would have thought would still be today it will be a bit late as plenty waiting on this one 

Edited by BigDoddyKane

Just now, BigDoddyKane said:

hopefully too much later, going by SAG statement earlier in week I would have thought would still be today it will be a bit late as plenty waiting on this one 

Think it would be hard not to go the 4 nation route after saying this a few days ago..

However, on the other hand in terms of this consideration, we also fully understand and agree with the desirability wherever possible of adopting a 4 nations approach to travel restrictions. And we have to recognise the reality, however difficult this may be for us, that if Scotland adopts more stringent requirements than England, then people living in Scotland, who want to go abroad, may decide to fly from airports based in England. In those circumstances, we would potentially face the economic cost of stricter travel rules, without gaining enough public health benefit to justify that cost. 

Personally it won't make much difference to me either way, avoiding a quick 30 euro test before flying home and a slightly cheaper test on day 2 after getting home. I can understand how it would mount up for families though, and I wish they'd just get rid of them altogether unless you feel ill, if you're double jagged.

Personally it won't make much difference to me either way, avoiding a quick 30 euro test before flying home and a slightly cheaper test on day 2 after getting home. I can understand how it would mount up for families though, and I wish they'd just get rid of them altogether unless you feel ill, if you're double jagged.
It's been confirmed. Just on bbc news

2 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Think it would be hard not to go the 4 nation route after saying this a few days ago..

Well done though. Your prediction was correct.

Scotland to align with UK testing regime.

Testing for inbound international travel is to be eased and will align with the UK following consideration of the logistical, health and economic implications, Cabinet Secretary for Net Zero, Energy and Transport Michael Matheson has said.

Pre-departure tests for fully vaccinated travellers will be removed. Travellers from non-red list countries who have been fully vaccinated in a country that meets recognised standards of certifications will no longer be required to provide evidence of a negative test result before they can travel to Scotland. 

For practical purposes, Scotland will also align with the UK post-arrival testing regime. Details for the UK are still being finalised and we will continue to engage with the UK Government ahead of confirmation as soon as possible.

Separately, in consultation with Public Health Scotland, the Scottish Government will consider how additional safeguards and surveillance of inward travel can be implemented to guard against the importation of new variants. This will be at no cost to travellers. Details will be set out in due course.

Last week, the Scottish Government announced how restrictions put in place to protect public health have been substantially revised to make travel simpler, with green and amber classifications merged while the red list is retained for those countries deemed to have high COVID19 case rates or variants of concern. 

Cabinet Secretary for Net Zero, Energy and Transport Michael Matheson said:

“We have concerns that the UK Government’s proposals to remove the requirement for a pre-departure test for some travellers could weaken our ability to protect the public health of Scotland’s communities.

“However, we also recognise that not having UK wide alignment causes significant practical problems and creates disadvantages for Scottish businesses. Also, if non alignment led to travellers to Scotland choosing to route through airports elsewhere in the UK, the public health benefits of testing would be undermined in any event.

“We have urgently considered all these implications, weighing any possible impact on the public health and the logistical realities. After liaising at length with stakeholders from the aviation sector to understand the impact of adopting a different approach in Scotland, we have reluctantly concluded that, for practical reasons, alignment with the UK is the best option.

“The new proposals make clear pre-departure tests will no longer be a requirement. We also intend to align with the UK post-arrival testing regime. The detail of that is still being developed with lateral flow tests being considered and we will engage further with the UK Government on those plans. Details will be announced at the same time as the UK.

“Lastly, the importance of guarding against new variants entering the country can’t be ignored. We will therefore be considering, with Public Health Scotland, the implementation of additional public health surveillance around international travel. We would intend this to be at no cost to travellers.”

Background

The traffic light system of checks for international travel put in place to protect the public health comes to an end on 4 October.

Travellers from red list countries, and those that haven’t been fully vaccinated, will need to comply with existing restrictions.