Coronavirus (COVID-19)

This. I had glandular fever in my teens. I was off school for ages and it took me a good 12 months to feel "normal" again. I was a fit 15 year old who loved sports etc and I was absolutely fucked after it. Couldn't even walk up the stairs in my house. 
And nobody called it "long glandular fever".

Guest Bob Mahelp
Just now, peasy23 said:
3 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:
Exactly. 
But we we're in a situation (worldwide), where millions of people have contracted this viral disease within a relatively small space of time.  The after effects of covid...yes, post viral fatigue...are still pretty much unknown. 
What is certain though, is that this post viral fatigue/long covid undoubtedly will effect a number of people, some mildly, some seriously. 
To dismiss it completely is wrong. 

I'm not dismissing it, I know a couple of folk who are struggling months after having Covid. My fear is we are labelling it "long covid" when in reality it is no different from post viral fatigue suffered my many other people from lots of other illnesses.

Sorry, I wasn't accusing you of dismissing it. But some are. 

I think some people get irate because this condition....which is obviously post viral disease and which has been around forever....has now been given a label by 'experts' that they can't stand. 

As I said above, we're talking about a lot of people who have caught covid within a relatively short period of time. I'm sure that if we had 7.5 million cases of glandular fever in the UK in the last 18 months, with the same knock on effects, we would be talking about 'long glandular fever'. 

Home Nations Daily Cases per 100K update  :  UK Average   297.1 to 297.6 up 0.20%, England  255.6 to 258.0 up 0.94%, Wales 535.2 to 558.5 up 4.35%, Northern Ireland   458.0 to 437.1 down 4.56%      Scotland  475.5

So Wales goes number 1 in Europe.  England maybe now back on the rise.

Cases reported today quite high at 34,460

Deaths: 166    England 121, Scotland 31, Wales 10,  Northern Ireland 4

My brother caught some kind of virus while doing summer work in Aviemore, he'd just graduated from St Andrews university. This must have been around 7 or 8 years ago.

Took him a couple of years to be diagnosed with post viral fatigue and he's now reliant on universal credit and PIP. Some days are better than others but at it's worst he's unable to get himself out of bed. Really depressing knowing how much potential he had to carve out a successful career was pretty much scunnered by catching a virus

4 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

I know that you're having a laugh, but on this thread it wouldn't be hard to believe that you're serious, and are about to copy and paste something from some lunatic's twitter account which 'proves' that every single person with covid is actually spending 10 days isolating at the playboy ranch with Mexican druglords and 20 kilos of charlie. 

Aye, I don't doubt some people feel the effect of this long after it's gone but I also think that the added spotlight put on it by c***s like Gurdasani means that the chancers in life take advantage of it. 

Guest Bob Mahelp
22 minutes ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

Johnston is probably all the things you say but he has been exposed constantly by the press. Even Arcuri was being interviewed yesterday. Strangely, the public still love him.

How many super injunctions do the SNP have?

I don’t know but maybe, as an insider, you could confirm or deny.

Do the public 'love' Johnson ? I thought it was just because it was already factored in that people know that he's a liar, a cheat, a coward and a general all-round khunt. That's what they expect from him. 

And I'm not even an 'insider' in my own house most of the time. I've got no idea what you're talking about. 

Who has denied that "long covid" exists? 

It's quite clear that some people do suffer prolonged effects. It has also been highlighted that these prolonged effects are by no means limited to Covid-19 and that other viruses have similar outcomes. 

The problem is that "long covid" is being used as a reason that restrictions must stay in place or at least not be relaxed. It has been a recurring theme throughout the pandemic and recently children were weaponised by a certain campaign group in an emotional argument that 1 in 7 of them (so x thousand per week) would get long covid. The Implication being that more restrictions should be put in place to prevent this. These claims are being made without supporting evidence of this supposed avalanche of long covid cases that will materialise. 

Guest Bob Mahelp
2 minutes ago, MuckleMoo said:

My brother caught some kind of virus while doing summer work in Aviemore, he'd just graduated from St Andrews university. This must have been around 7 or 8 years ago.

Took him a couple of years to be diagnosed with post viral fatigue and he's now reliant on universal credit and PIP. Some days are better than others but at it's worst he's unable to get himself out of bed. Really depressing knowing how much potential he had to carve out a successful career was pretty much scunnered by catching a virus

It's a pretty terrible thing to those who suffer from it. 

Maybe the focus on 'long covid' will encourage awareness of the disease, and added investment in treatment.

Guest Bob Mahelp
1 minute ago, Michael W said:

Who has denied that "long covid" exists? 

Two of the most prominent posters on this thread made unequivocal statements a few nights ago that 'long covid does not exist' .

Regardless of that, I'm glad that we agree that this post vital fatigue does indeed exist, and that the numbers and extent of it are as yet unknown. 

Tagging poor sods like Kate Garraway’s husband with the same label as someone who’s sense of taste and smell hasn’t quite fully recovered after a few months is a clear attempt to fiddle the numbers in order to justify more restrictions.

Long covid is a wide range of things that don’t need to be under a single umbrella term. 

9 hours ago, Detournement said:

No one is wearing surgical facemasks in public and even if there was mass uptake and proper use of surgical facemasks it would only be a marginal benefit according to the study. 

Face mask wearing as practiced in the UK for the past 14 months is utterly pointless 

The blue and white ones that are commonly seen are surgical masks, commonly used by medical professionals like dentists.

I posted a link about simple cotton masks. And that they showed at least 50% of the efficacy of surgical masks.

I don't agree that face masks have been pointless however I think that in the UK they haven't been an effective tool due to the fact that people have not been using them in an effective way. Too many people not wearing them when they were legally required to, masks worn incorrectly, i.e. not fully covering nose and mouth, constant touching of the face mask and then touching surfaces.

Just because they are blue doesn't mean they are up to clinical standard. The ones I wear every day aren't. 

There is real world data from various countries which show that mask mandates haven't made any difference. The divergence between Scotland and England this summer being the most obvious example. 

2 minutes ago, Detournement said:

Just because they are blue doesn't mean they are up to clinical standard. The ones I wear every day aren't. 

There is real world data from various countries which show that mask mandates haven't made any difference. The divergence between Scotland and England this summer being the most obvious example. 

Just completely wrong.

https://www.dental-nursing.co.uk/news/covid-19-a-guide-to-face-masks

Most of those blue/white masks are type 1 surgical masks.

What's the difference between Type I and Type II Masks?

Type I, and Type I R face masks have a BFE (bacterial filtration efficiency) of 95%, whereas Type II and Type II R face masks have a BFE of 98%. The breathing resistance, and splash resistance for Type I R and Type II R masks, are exactly the same.

Type I, I R, II and II R face masks are medical masks tested in the direction of exhalation (inside to outside) and take into account the efficiency of bacterial filtration. Surgical masks of this type stop the wearer from infecting the surrounding environment. They are not effective at protecting the wearer from airbourne diseases such as coronavirus.

2 minutes ago, Detournement said:

Just follow this simple empirical exercise. 

Eat a McDonalds. Put on a mask. Fart. If you smell the McDs fart then your mask is not protecting you from Covid. 

Again talking shite.

A fart is an aerosol spray, unless you follow through, which masks do not stop. Another "informed" poster who won't read a scientific article because it would challenge theor point of view.

1 hour ago, Bob Mahelp said:

A guy at my work caught covid a year ago. Since that point he hasn't been the same person. He's a highly qualified engineer but now can't concentrate for more than 10 minutes at a time, and is fatigued after walking up the stairs. He's been signed off sick for 3 months now after working part time became too much for him. 

Now, I'm not trying to say that 'long covid' exists as much as some people/experts say. I've no idea how many people out there are still suffering effects of covid and how serious they are.

But undoubtedly, 'long covid' does exist. To say it doesn't, or to dismiss it completely as something insignificant, is just completely wrong. 

It's a glorified PVF/ME which has been around for decades. As someone who suffered from PVF for almost a year in 2006, I know all too well how debilitating it can be. It isnt reinventing the wheel though. Wish LoNg CoViD!!! would just be called post viral fatigue as that's what it is 

13 minutes ago, superbigal said:

We announced our vaccine passport a couple of weeks ago and we're still only doing a risible 6000 vaccines a day, even after adding the 12-15 cohort to the people able to get vaccinated.  Doesn't seem to me like they're driving uptake here.

Guest Bob Mahelp
12 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

It's a glorified PVF/ME which has been around for decades. As someone who suffered from PVF for almost a year in 2006, I know all too well how debilitating it can be. It isnt reinventing the wheel though. Wish LoNg CoViD!!! would just be called post viral fatigue as that's what it is 

Is it giving it a nAmE !! that irritates so many on here ?

1 hour ago, Bob Mahelp said:

Compare that with the SNP government...the most scrutinised, questioned and criticised government in history, because of their constitutional stance. 

Ever thought they wouldn’t get half as much criticism if they weren’t an absolutely shite coalition of cowboys? 
I agree they get it in the neck from the unionist press, but that should make them work harder to get it up them not come across as a shower of diddies.