Coronavirus (COVID-19)

4 minutes ago, williemillersmoustache said:

I realise this thread contains strong opinions but are we really still at the stage of putting the opinions of hairdresser's and gym owners on the same page as people with qualifications? 

I see the answer is sadly yes. 

Is Linda Bauld an expert in anything even remotely related to virology or epidemiology? Absolutely not. 

21 minutes ago, sparky88 said:

Not true. NS stopped people travelling to and from Manchester a while ago and I think everyone agreed that it was an unqualified success. Really minimised the case numbers here. 

She didn't stop me travelling to Manchester. 😀

Oh you were being sarcastic.

11 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Linda Bauld going the full hog on the 'We care more' narrative on the news earlier.

'We are keeping the PCR tests in as we are maintaining our responsibility to genome sequence potential variants for not only the good of Scotland, but the UK and The World.'

How noble....🙄

Thats one of the daftest statements I have heard recently, can she explain why doing it on people flying into Scotland is the best way to do that and that there are no other options better than that for the long term. If thats the case she must be saying this needs to stay until when end of next year?

3 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Evidently the thread needs one Aberdeen fan making an arse of themselves at any given time. Bob Mahelp getting a wee rest till a canned-up return tonight IMO

I thought you meant me.

And I will be making canned up return tonight after the St. Johnstone defeat game.

3 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

Well no, it implies there are numerous people in a far better position to comment than her. 

In matters of public health? Not really. I'll keep "making an arse of myself" by taking my information from folk who know what their talking about and who are recognised experts in their field. Ta.

Just now, williemillersmoustache said:

In matters of public health? Not really. I'll keep "making an arse of myself" by taking my information from folk who know what their talking about and who are recognised experts in their field. Ta.

Feel free to - in a pandemic I would rather get mine from an actual expert, and not someone with a background in health and social care, and smoking! 

surely its allowed to question that sort of statements if she says them

'We are keeping the PCR tests in as we are maintaining our responsibility to genome sequence potential variants for not only the good of Scotland, but the UK and The World.'

1. Are there no better options than this? Other ways to do the testing and why should we be paying for it now?

2. If this is the reason you are keeping PCR tests that implies its for the long term, so how long?

That would be a couple question Id like to know

7 minutes ago, williemillersmoustache said:

So is there no-one else in the UK or EU who know what they are talking about?

As evidently, their differing opinion on the benefit of keeping PCR testing as an ongoing step, outstrips that of Bauld and the SG quite overwhelmingly.

10 minutes ago, BigDoddyKane said:

surely its allowed to question that sort of statements if she says them

1. Are there no better options than this? Other ways to do the testing and why should we be paying for it now?

2. If this is the reason you are keeping PCR tests that implies its for the long term, so how long?

That would be a couple question Id like to know

There's the exact quote which I must admit I paraphrased a bit as I'd only heard her say it on the radio once.

image.png.37fb9e161186234e6ef42081101b849f.png

I'm interested in what UK intelligence PCR tests are going to actually contribute to in future given the rest of the UK has now decided that they are not needed.

Edited by djchapsticks

34 minutes ago, williemillersmoustache said:

I realise this thread contains strong opinions but are we really still at the stage of putting the opinions of hairdresser's and gym owners on the same page as people with qualifications? 

I see the answer is sadly yes. 

Is this what the SNP and its apologists have become? Sneering at working class business owners? I mean I get theres an elitist attitude emerging from them but if this is the sort of talking points your branch are sending out im quite alarmed. 

Just now, Wildrover said:

How are these travel tests policed, say you don't get your day 2 tests, how would they know??

I asked a friend the other day who had travelled abroad and I believe you need to pay for them in advance of travel whilst making your booking. It's not optional.

Just now, djchapsticks said:

I asked a friend the other day who had travelled abroad and I believe you need to pay for them in advance of travel whilst making your booking. It's not optional.

We booked Portugal for beginning of October back in March, as far as I'm aware we haven't booked tests, I'll have to do some further investigations!!!

1 minute ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Is this what the SNP and its apologists have become? Sneering at working class business owners? I mean I get theres an elitist attitude emerging from them but if this is the sort of talking points your branch are sending out im quite alarmed. 

I am not a member and I don't ask hairdresser's or airport managers for their opinions on public health in the same way I don't ask my dog. 

It's not sneering it's just horses for courses. But do please rage away and this imagined slight on business owners.  

5 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

The SNP and some of their followers have become increasingly Tory in recent times. Fairly wild swing tbh.