Coronavirus (COVID-19)

3 minutes ago, superbigal said:

The Delta variant even made iit nto New Zealand. Testing for vatiants may find them but it don't stop em.
Shambolic waste of everyone's money.

I'm hoping the next variant spreads really fast, drowning out the others but is harmless. On the downside it could be lethal, so the quicker we have the profile the quicker they can tweak a vaccine to combat it. Most countries don't have the sequencing capability we have.

3 hours ago, Lyle Lanley said:

Tbf the thought of all of those incels in one place is quite scary. 

3 hours ago, Elixir said:

No punches pulled from Edinburgh Airport:

Never thought it would be possible for me to despise the Scottish Government this much, but here we are.

They just cant get anything right.

Opening up, desperate to appear more ‘caring than the tories’ so held off over a month meaning we reopened just as schools went back, result being massive reinfection which could have been a far less steeper curve as has been seen down south. We’ve retained far more restrictions yet have led the world in infections too. 
Now just as air travel had a wee chance of a good october they go and hibs it with this pcr pish. Its all safety theatre shite from them. We’re just gonna travel from Manchester and get it right up your pcr tests meaning you will get even less data Leitch you lettuce of a man. Absolute pish for the Lovejoys. The sycophantic arseholes who get a stauner everytime Scotland looks to tighten a restriction or not move the same way as England, they are the social media version of the wee free’s, fucking desperate to have restrictions for a virus that’s never ever ever ever ever ever going to go away. 

4 hours ago, oaksoft said:

They feel empowered by the public strongly backing virtually everything they have done so far.

That's why Swinney publicly creamed his pants with excitement a few weeks back when he talked about wanting to keep some emergency powers permanent. He honestly thinks he's going to be handed a whole series of life changing powers by public demand. And maybe he'll get them.

The old adage is true. If you allow them an inch, they'll steal a yard.

This time it's not anti-vax nutters who are the target. It's ordinary joe.

You have to wonder at what point the public will dump them like they did with Labour.

Unfortunately, the SNP's poll lead has little to do with their quality of governance and everything to do with NS dangling a jam tomorrow referendum in front of a certain section of the population. Paradoxically, we can only stop them keeping emergency powers if we vote for independence. 

My work have the brilliant and sensible rule that if anyone on the site tests positive for Covid, we all have to leave the site, book a PCR test and not return until we have confirmation of a negative test. I was in the position last week where I received a message from my manager saying one of the project managers had tested positive and we all had to get off site etc., even though I haven’t seen this particular guy in months, and have never set foot in the office he used. As a contractor who doesn’t get paid if I’m not at work, you can imagine I wasn’t exactly over the moon about that. I have tried to explain that even the government guidelines don’t require me to go through that nonsensical process but I would be better off talking to the moon. 

I should add the guy who runs this job and came up with this policy is also a contractor who’s on about £1200 a day, so I don’t imagine a couple of days in the house hurts him in the pocket too much. For the rest of us it’s a bit of a hit only taking home half a weeks wage because some brain donor decided to come in to work whilst showing some of the symptoms of Covid. 

Edited by IrishBhoy

Went to Ayr races yesterday and that's the strictest enforcement of rules I've seen at ANY venue never mind sport. Zones round every indoor bar, no mask no service each zone being stringently policed by two stewards then Ayr station no mask no train with about a dozen Police with dogs patrolling and BTP on the actual train enforcing mask and drink rules. Very surprised given how much more relaxed things have been elsewhere recently.

11 hours ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

People will just travel to Scotland via the North of England airports and there's nothing to stop them.

Not true. NS stopped people travelling to and from Manchester a while ago and I think everyone agreed that it was an unqualified success. Really minimised the case numbers here. 

3 minutes ago, Tynierose said:

It's 3rd rate childish politics.   She can do a u turn in 72 hours saying no choice due to England's decision and if anything does go wrong can then point a finger of blame at them.

It's pathetic and has again damaged our travel industry but hey as long as they look like they care more who gives a f**k about people's businesses etc.

They need to grow up.

The wee frees of safety theatre. 

Linda Bauld (chair of the oldest and most prestigious public health professorship in the UK): "it is too early to ditch pcr screening tests for people entering the UK and from a public health perspective poses a significant risk"

Thank goodness we've got some travel agents and an airport manager to tell her she's wrong because reasons. 

Linda Bauld going the full hog on the 'We care more' narrative on the news earlier.

'We are keeping the PCR tests in as we are maintaining our responsibility to genome sequence potential variants for not only the good of Scotland, but the UK and The World.'

How noble....🙄

1 minute ago, williemillersmoustache said:

Linda Bauld (chair of the oldest and most prestigious public health professorship in the UK): "it is too early to ditch pcr screening tests for people entering the UK and from a public health perspective poses a significant risk"

Thank goodness we've got some travel agents and an airport manager to tell her she's wrong because reasons. 

And the rest of the UK - and indeed the majority of the rest of the EU who are also seemingly not pushing PCR tests upon their citizens' returns as a requirement.

2 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Linda Bauld going the full hog on the 'We care more' narrative on the news earlier.

'We are keeping the PCR tests in as we are maintaining our responsibility to genome sequence potential variants for not only the good of Scotland, but the UK and The World.'

How noble....🙄

If she wants to do that, do random testing and pay for it themselves instead of putting the cost on us

Just now, BigDoddyKane said:

If she wants to do that, do random testing and pay for it themselves instead of putting the cost on us

It's all one WMM trying to break it down into 'Only people pushing for removal are laymen and Linda knows everything' but there is literally an entire continent of leaders who do not see this as a requirement.

Our government are the outliers here, the ones dragging their heels on this....they are definitely not the pioneers.

Just now, williemillersmoustache said:

I realise this thread contains strong opinions but are we really still at the stage of putting the opinions of hairdresser's and gym owners on the same page as people with qualifications? 

I see the answer is sadly yes. 

And right on cue. Indeed, no-one else within not only the UK, but the entire EU - an organisation we are desperate to be part of once again no less - is getting this right and only the bold (or Bauld) Linda is virtuous and correct in this instance.

Maybe Bauld can explain why PCR tests are needed since just about the whole of the EU aren't bothering with them for travel. 

Is the rest of the EU reckless and ignoring health advice, or is there some particular reason that this seems to be an intolerable risk only for Britain/Scotland? 

Edited by Michael W

1 minute ago, Michael W said:

Maybe Bauld can explain why PCR tests are needed since just about the while of the EU aren't bothering with them. 

Is the rest of the EU reckless and ignoring health advice, or is there some particular reason that this seems to be an intolerable risk only for Britain/Scotland? 

If you are WMM, the answer to that is no doubt 'yes', the EU is chock full of Hairdressers and Gym owners who are not in any sort of qualified position to be making these decisions and it should be deferred to Linda.