Coronavirus (COVID-19)

A shame the arrival tests aren't going entirely, but hopefully we can get those binned soon. In the meantime, I'm sure the testing industry will have magically discovered that its antigen tests ought to cost the same as PCRs did. 

That looks a pretty clear sign to me that an extension of furlough looks highly unlikely - with a big reduction in the red list, the travel industry in theory ought to be in a near normal position. 

On a different note, we're going to run into some very fucking annoying problems with under 18s, who are only being given one dose of the vaccine. They are going to end up in quarantine etc abroad and will need to be pre-deoarture tested before return to the UK. Is there going to be an option to double jag them, even privately? 

Edited by Michael W

It also claims to be 48 hours worth of cases, yet lists 5,529 in the last 24 hours, and 5,885 in the last 48 hours.
356 cases from the previous day simply cannot be correct.
These are two different measures. One is confirmed positive cases and one is records processed - presumably the technical issues have led to a bit of a mismatch of these.

3 minutes ago, craigkillie said:
1 hour ago, Todd_is_God said:
It also claims to be 48 hours worth of cases, yet lists 5,529 in the last 24 hours, and 5,885 in the last 48 hours.
356 cases from the previous day simply cannot be correct.

These are two different measures. One is confirmed positive cases and one is records processed - presumably the technical issues have led to a bit of a mismatch of these.

It can't be 5,529 over 48 hours either, though. That would represent a 57% week on week reduction over the same 2 days from last week.

13 minutes ago, Michael W said:

On a different note, we're going to run into some very fucking annoying problems with under 18s, who are only being given one dose of the vaccine. They are going to end up in quarantine etc abroad and will need to be pre-deoarture tested before return to the UK. Is there going to be an option to double jag them, even privately? 

Under 18s should be in school not travelling abroad. I'm sure that the snippy parent brigade who got the rest of society locked down to keep the schools open will take this self-inflicted L with good grace. 

4 hours ago, Todd_is_God said:

Have they been admitted to hospital requiring treatment for Covid, have they been admitted to hospital for treatment for something else but tested positive, have they tested positive after already being in hospital (i.e. caught it there) and are now requiring treatment, or have they caught it whilst already in hospital but require no treatment?

I imagine that number will be spread amongst all 4 categories. I still find it absolutely staggering that, not only do we not appear to know, but that no-one seems to have thought to ask.

I've never see any info on the numbers of people in hospital who were admitted for something else but then caught Covid while in there, and it's something they definitely seem to keep quiet about, but I think there is a mix up between two different things, the number of people in hospital and the number of people admitted to hospital.

While the numbers given for people in hospital with Covid will include those who didn't have it before they went in, the number of daily admissions is people who've tested positive either 14 days before admission or when they are admitted. So this won't include this unknown number who contract Covid while in hospital.

5 minutes ago, s_dog said:

I've never see any info on the numbers of people in hospital who were admitted for something else but then caught Covid while in there, and it's something they definitely seem to keep quiet about, but I think there is a mix up between two different things, the number of people in hospital and the number of people admitted to hospital.

While the numbers given for people in hospital with Covid will include those who didn't have it before they went in, the number of daily admissions is people who've tested positive either 14 days before admission or when they are admitted. So this won't include this unknown number who contract Covid while in hospital.

I was under the impression someone who tested positive whilst already in hospital was then counted as a new admission on the day they tested positive.

Is that no longer the case?

4 hours ago, Elixir said:

Oh wow, a whole 150 people out of over 68 million - most probably in with a broken wrist or appendicitis but testing positive for ole Rona! Better lockdown immediately to protect the NHS!

It's for Scotland only and a wee hint, the number of under 30's in Scotland is a bit below 68 million. Besides, it was only in response to your oh they're in no way a burden, I know facts are something you struggle with.

4 hours ago, Left Back said:

Wales goes for vaccine passports.  Looks a similar set-up to Scotland.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-58596128

The big difference is it allows a negative LFT result to be used as well as vaccine record. Don't know why they haven't done that here too, I think they've said they'll look at it again, and they should. I don't see there being any further lockdowns in the UK, so they might as well do these passports right and not exclude people completely.

Edited by s_dog

Leitch on saying pcr tests day 2 to possibly stay in Scotland ffs

Rest
Agreed
To which any journalist worth their salt would be saying "and the scientific basis for this divergence is.....?"

But what we'll get is "ShOuLd wE bE wOrRiEd AbOuT tHe CaNaRiEs VaRiAnT!?!?!"

1 hour ago, s_dog said:

It's for Scotland only and a wee hint, the number of under 30's in Scotland is a bit below 68 million. Besides, it was only in response to your oh they're in no way a burden, I know facts are something you struggle with.

Yeah... it still doesn't matter if it's 150 out of nearly two million people. If you think that is somehow meant to be a burden on all of society then can I interest you in purchasing some magic beans?

7 minutes ago, superbigal said:

Rest
Agreed

No, no, no.

The Simps assured us just this morning that this would not happen.

Just now, DeeTillEhDeh said:

Looks like they will try to persuade the unvaccinated to vaccinate by making it really difficult to travel.

Said ages ago that they would do this.

Think if we're going to dish out a "punishment" to the unvaccinated, this is really the only one that's in any way acceptable. I do still think the day 2 test should be scrapped for vaccinated passengers also, rather than merely downgraded. 

People were told that getting vaccinated would mean they could go on holiday again, and whilst they can indeed go on holiday, being made to pay for expensive tests despite being vaccinated leaves you feeling rather ripped off. 

12 minutes ago, superbigal said:

Rest
Agreed

He said they hadn't decided yet. If they want to test for new variants they could just dole out free pcr tests to random arrivals, they're only sequencing 5% at the moment anyway.