Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Does anyone know roughly how the timeframe of rise, plateau and beginning to drop for this wave coincides with the non vaccine waves, particularly the first where we went no measures to full measures?

My question is, can we now begin to create a better picture of how effective locking down actually was?

I know theres a level of herd immunity at play now which may account for the way in which this wave peaked and dropped off so I guess that makes analysis hard, but I dont doubt there absolutely are people who want more measures, up to and including lockdown. I would be expecting a pretty accurate picture to be availavle of how it would compare in todays population again the recently tested "do nothing" baseline

5 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Does anyone know roughly how the timeframe of rise, plateau and beginning to drop for this wave coincides with the non vaccine waves, particularly the first where we went no measures to full measures?

My question is, can we now begin to create a better picture of how effective locking down actually was?

I know theres a level of herd immunity at play now which may account for the way in which this wave peaked and dropped off so I guess that makes analysis hard, but I dont doubt there absolutely are people who want more measures, up to and including lockdown. I would be expecting a pretty accurate picture to be availavle of how it would compare in todays population again the recently tested "do nothing" baseline

about 3 quarters of the way down there's a graph titled cases, hospitalisations and deaths comparison trend.

https://www.travellingtabby.com/scotland-coronavirus-tracker/

2 hours ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

Nonetheless the point stands. The automatic assumption that everything the UK government decides on covid matters is automatically correct, and that any differing view is 'political' is staggeringly simplistic. 

Whatever WM have got right or wrong it is a long list that could be argued about ad infinitum.

What’s has consistently ripped my knitting has been SG’s determination to do just about everything differently just for different’s sake. 

24 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

17 minutes ago, Left Back said:

about 3 quarters of the way down there's a graph titled cases, hospitalisations and deaths comparison trend.

https://www.travellingtabby.com/scotland-coronavirus-tracker/

It's difficult to argue from this that lockdowns did much at all, though you can't say definitively that they didn't either.

However, what we can say, with almost certainty, id that the level of immunity now is at least as effective in stopping and reversing the spread as lockdowns ever were, and therefore lockdowns can be fired into the bin.

Screenshot_20210917-151056_Opera.jpg

Edited by Todd_is_God

1 minute ago, Suspect Device said:

Am I being dumb here?

9.9% of 60,077 tests would be 5,947.

5,529 is 9.2%.

It looked wrong because obviously 10% of 60k would be 6k.

The percentage is total positive cases. The figure is new positives, ie they count repeat positives in percentage but not the daily figure announced. 

Am I being dumb here?

5,529 is 9.2%.

Not the first time this has come up, either. I remember saying the same a few months ago.

Am I being dumb here?

5,529 is 9.2%.

It also claims to be 48 hours worth of cases, yet lists 5,529 in the last 24 hours, and 5,885 in the last 48 hours.

356 cases from the previous day simply cannot be correct.

31 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

It’s a really good question - looking at the TT chart, the peak in cases was far smaller in January (under lockdown) than it is now (under pretty much no restrictions).  It’s about a third.  As such, if we hadn’t had a lock down then and the peak was as high as this wave, I would have expected hospitalisations and deaths to have been about 3 times higher

11 minutes ago, Wee Bully said:

It’s a really good question - looking at the TT chart, the peak in cases was far smaller in January (under lockdown) than it is now (under pretty much no restrictions).  It’s about a third.  As such, if we hadn’t had a lock down then and the peak was as high as this wave, I would have expected hospitalisations and deaths to have been about 3 times higher

That low peak in cases surely down to the non availablility of testing though?

9 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Aye. Not with school kids, though. Who are now making up around 40% of cases. Thumping dub for the vaccines. Massive L for masks.

It was always going to be the case. College and uni students next, though hopefully the vaccines in these age groups will help dampen it.

3 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

It was always going to be the case. College and uni students next, though hopefully the vaccines in these age groups will help dampen it.

Absolutely, school kids have been largely shielded from exposure throughout. It's not a problem, of course, but it does give a good indication of how little use masks are.

I'm not sure we will see a bounce from unis going back tbh - that demographic have already had high exposure etc.

2 minutes ago, Left Back said:

Not in January.  Mass testing was going on.  The peak being lower is more likely because January was before the Delta variant became prevalent in the UK.

Not at the level of 1% of the population per day it wasn't. It averaged around 20k per day, with a similar %age positive.

9 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

Colleges have been running since the schools went back; universities are the only sector left that could change the trend. 

Home Nations Daily Cases per 100K update  :  UK Average  347.9 to 337.0 down 3.13%, England  297.2 to 287.9 down 3.13%, Wales 502.2 to 495.2 down 1.39%, Northern Ireland   567.7 to 547.1 down 3.63%

Deaths UK 178 up 20,   Scotland 30 up 4,  Wales 8 up 4, NI 10 up 5,  England 130 up 7.

27 minutes ago, Left Back said:

Not in January.  Mass testing was going on.  The peak being lower is more likely because January was before the Delta variant became prevalent in the UK.

Im more meaning the start, I though Wee Bully was referring to the start too. Thats the most interesting as it gives a tineline for impact on transmission of going from no restrictions, to the maximum overnight.