Coronavirus (COVID-19)

3 minutes ago, Left Back said:

It's naive to think that politicians of all sides aren't prioritising politics over everything else.  It's what they do.  No politician is going to implement a policy they think harms them politically.

Nonetheless the point stands. The automatic assumption that everything the UK government decides on covid matters is automatically correct, and that any differing view is 'political' is staggeringly simplistic. 

Regarding the existence of not of long Covid, is the issue not just what constitutes it?  A few months after the pandemic began, there were reports of patients suffering from lung and neurological abnormalities a significant period of time after there diagnosis.  Whilst prevalence appeared to be extremely low and linked to the severity of the symptoms at their onset, there was something to suggest long Covid was a thing.

Feeling a bit tired a month later and any other symptoms seen in Post Viral Fatigue Syndrome should not, in my entirely non-medically qualified opinion, be classed as long Covid.  I had glandular fever in my late 20s and was still feeling the effects 4-6 months later.  I did not have long glandular fever.

Howling at the moon about how its all made up or that 1 in 7 kids are going to be permanently disabled are contributions, about as worthless as each other, to a debate that lost all semblance of nuance a long time ago.

33 minutes ago, virginton said:

The complete divergence of Scotland and England's Covid rates since face coverings were binned south of the border gives lie to that argument. 

And of course the fact that grown up countries like Denmark know this farce is over, and things like masks can therefore be consigned to the dustbin as a result.

32 minutes ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

Nonetheless the point stands. The automatic assumption that everything the UK government decides on covid matters is automatically correct, and that any differing view is 'political' is staggeringly simplistic. 

when it comes to the UK and the USA  , there is a complete oldfirmification of everything covid related especially face coverings

40 minutes ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

I think it's perfectly fair to put the onus on those wishing to impose new measures to outline what the perceived benefit will be.

With their recent "reckless toaries" shtick, and their continued belief in masks, calling the judgement of the SG into question is also absolutely fair.

Edited by Todd_is_God

2 hours ago, Elixir said:

This is also a thought provoking thread. I don't agree things will be too radically changed a year or two from now after the pandemic is declared over and it starts to fade from memory, but it's eye opening nonetheless.

Ironically a lot of good has also come out of this, such as families spending more time together, kids playing outside and in groups doing things like fishing, playing football and general playing around outside as opposed to being stuck on their mobile phones / computers 24/7.

Many Adults have also taken to slowing down and looking around them and seeing what's actually important in life.

Sports such as Bowls, Golf and fishing have all taken off again, hill walking has also become really popular as has cycling and local communities are seeing more money spent due to more people working from home.

Lots of negatives certainly but also lots of positives have resulted and more importantly the massive reboot of society which was most certainly required, so all in all 2020 might indeed turn out to be that watershed moment.....

24 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

.... .

Sports such as Bowls, Golf and fishing have all taken off again, hill walking has also become really popular as has cycling and local communities are seeing more money spent due to more people working from home.

Lots of negatives certainly but also lots of positives have resulted and more importantly the massive reboot of society which was most certainly required, so all in all 2020 might indeed turn out to be that watershed moment.....

It's a Hell of a cost to pay, but if the past 18 months encourages folk to think about prioritising a better diet and more exercise over Greggs' sausage rolls and 12 pints on a Friday night, you might be right. 

5,529* new cases of COVID-19 reported

60,077* new tests for COVID-19 that reported results

9.9%* of these were positive

30 new reported death(s) of people who have tested positive

87 people were in intensive care yesterday with recently confirmed COVID-19 ( 94 yesterday)

1,037 people were in hospital yesterday with recently confirmed COVID-19 (1054 yesterday)

4,150,157 people have received their first dose of a COVID-19 vaccination and 3,798,938 have received their second dose

* The technical issues that prevented publication of yesterday’s confirmed COVID-19 cases and test positivity have now been resolved. The daily update above reflects the records processed by Public Health Scotland in the last 24 hours. Since the last update on 15 September (approximately 48 hour period) there have been 5,885 new confirmed positive cases.

1 minute ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

It's a Hell of a cost to pay, but if the past 18 months encourages folk to think about prioritising a better diet and more exercise over Greggs' sausage rolls and 12 pints on a Friday night, you might be right. 

The physical side is important but I believe the mental side to be equally important. I always used to comment on my visits to Eastern Europe in particular, how nice it was to see families out together walking around exploring and generally having fun which was in complete contrast to this country where Mum, Dad and kids were all in their individual bubbles staring at their own mobile phones instead of actually interacting with each other or the world around them.

Personally I've noticed a big change since the lockdown and as I say, people in general seem to be spending more quality time together and actually interacting with one another which in the long run can only be a positive for society in general.

3 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

87 people were in intensive care yesterday with recently confirmed COVID-19 ( 94 yesterday)

1,037 people were in hospital yesterday with recently confirmed COVID-19 (1054 yesterday)

4,150,157 people have received their first dose of a COVID-19 vaccination and 3,798,938 have received their second dose

* The technical issues that prevented publication of yesterday’s confirmed COVID-19 cases and test positivity have now been resolved. The daily update above reflects the records processed by Public Health Scotland in the last 24 hours. Since the last update on 15 September (approximately 48 hour period) there have been 5,885 new confirmed positive cases.

Falls pretty much everywhere - cases, intensive care, hospital...great news. Downward slope now.

4b5c77afa8801e33164d8292ace71a3e.gif

3 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

That's hospital and ICU numbers dropped two days in a row.  potentially past those peaks now?

6 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Right get the fucking cigars out.

Alright Deepti, let's look at some of what you're saying.

1. We should ONLY look at symptomatic people when considering Long Covid.

2. Remember, one third of cases are asymptomatic. Two thirds symptomatic. Of these two thirds,  it's 3-10% with Long Covid.

3. Maths not her strong suit here. 30,000 cases a day means 10,000 asymptomatic and 20,000 symptomatic. 5% of the 20,000 is 1,000. Not 1,500. 

Honestly, she is utterly skewing results to get the answers she wants. If you only count people with Long Covid, you can argue 100%. She is trying to include some results and exclude others to make the point she has already pre-decided.

13 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

Personally I've noticed a big change since the lockdown and as I say, people in general seem to be spending more quality time together and actually interacting with one another which in the long run can only be a positive for society in general.

We'll see how that works out when it's dark at half 3 in November and pishing sideways. 

Spoke to a colleague of mine yesterday. He predicted we would be in a lockdown in three weeks time. Seemed very sure. 
Genuinely think there are people that fear that the government can, at any time, pull this trigger. 

I was in the office yesterday and got speaking to a colleague. They seemed absolutely desperate for another lockdown and were fuming at Sturgeon about it.

I pointed out vaccine passports, as much as I disagreed on their introduction, LFT being free, and the vaccine rates meant a lockdown would likely never happen.

Apparently I was wrong and it’s happening.

25 minutes ago, Left Back said:

That's hospital and ICU numbers dropped two days in a row.  potentially past those peaks now?

Definitely.

22 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Right get the fucking cigars out.

Definitely.

9 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

Spoke to a colleague of mine yesterday. He predicted we would be in a lockdown in three weeks time. Seemed very sure. 

Genuinely think there are people that fear that the government can, at any time, pull this trigger. 

There's a couple of slavers like this at my work as well. Hilarious, albeit rather depressing stuff.

9 minutes ago, mizfit said:

I was in the office yesterday and got speaking to a colleague. They seemed absolutely desperate for another lockdown and were fuming at Sturgeon about it.

I pointed out vaccine passports, as much as I disagreed on their introduction, LFT being free, and the vaccine rates meant a lockdown would likely never happen.

Apparently I was wrong and it’s happening.

I get that some people have genuine anxiety about things opening back up. But folk who're absolutely desperate for another lockdown are absolute fucking arse holes.

Lock yourself away and gies fucking peace from your shite.

Edited by Gordon EF

Daily Summary for @oaksoft :   Happens to be last 48 hours.  Apart from deaths and Vaccines all excellent.

Deaths 30 (26 day before),  ICU cases 87 down from 91  (14 new admissions),  In hospital with confirmed Covid  1079 down to 1037 (163 new admissions).  

Daily Cases Update: 7 days of falls now with last 48 hours a fantastic near 12%.  Tomorrow hard to say as not 100% sure if figures are correct.  We shall see.

No longer the worlds top spot now that Israel takes with 643.1 as we go 2nd. 

In Europe apart from a trip to Belgrade it looks pretty difficult to catch the virus. 

I did not think Vaccine numbers could get lower but they did. Less than 4500 in total !!!

Figures for Jags.  1st Vaccines    1,943 to 1,423 ,  2nd vaccines  3,046 to 3,041

Total Cases Scotland 7 days 8th September to 14th September  were  37,033 to 32,684 down 11.74%, Positivity was 11.2% now 10.7%.  Cases per 100K were  677.6 now 598.0

Home Nations Daily Cases per 100K update  :  UK Average  347.9 to 337.0 down 3.13%, England  297.2 to 287.9 down 3.13%, Wales 502.2 to 495.2 down 1.39%, Northern Ireland   567.7 to 547.1 down 3.63%

In Europe for travellers (Countries Population over 3 Million) Serbia 526.2 (weekly change up 50%), Ireland  181.3 (Weekly change -6%),  Switzerland 181.2 (weekly change -19%), Croatia 180.5 (weekly change up 30%), Austria 160.1 (weekly change up 22%), Bosnia 155.3 (Weekly change up 13%), Bulgaria 153.7 (weekly change up 14%) These are the only countries over 152 cases per 100K   

Scotland  peaks in wave 4 at 817.1 for 1st Sep to 7th Sep, (UK was 392.1),. Cases that day were 44,663 and positivity 12.5%

Scotland peaks in Wave 3 at 425.1 for 27th June to 3rd July, (UK was 229.9) . Cases that day were 23,222 and positivity 10.8%

Scotland  peaked in wave 2 at 301.9 for figures 29th Dec to 4th Jan, (UK was 642.1)    Cases that day were 16,496 and test positivity rate was 11.9%  

Council progress in last 24 Hours as follows.

Click cases by neighbourhood to see the spread on the geographical map. 
https://public.tableau.com/profile/phs.covid.19#!/vizhome/COVID-19DailyDashboard_15960160643010/Overview

West Dunbartonshire   1112.7 to 939.6  Down over 15%

Inverclyde 901.9 to 842.2

East Renfrewshire 968.1 to 835.9 Down near 14%

Renfrewshire  844.5 to 795.5

North Lanarkshire  885.9 to 782.1  

North Ayrshire    803.7 to 738.9 

South Ayrshire  665.2 to 701.8   Very odd up over 5%

Midlothian   777.2 to 701.0

West Lothian 755.1 to 696.9 

East Ayrshire  755.8 to 688.3

Dundee City  770.7 to 668.6

Fife   752.1 to 663.9