Coronavirus (COVID-19)

10 hours ago, Billy Jean King said:
14 hours ago, Elixir said:
Bon voyage, lads. PowttJS.gif

All testing has to go to make a meaningful difference. Every "leak" so far has been one or the other but the fit to fly AND day 2 testing has to go tomorrow.

The test before return represents the biggest risk: you're fucked if you or anyone in your party tests positive. It makes city breaks impractical and kills the mood of any holiday by having to concern yourself with it.

The PCR test on day two is burdensome due to cost, particularly for families, and is another substantial barrier.

Replacing the latter with a lateral flow is simple lip service to the health freaks and Lovejoy's that 'AR BORDERS ARE STILL PROTECTED', but I doubt anyone will bother their arse if it's actually carried out or not.

I won't be at all surprised if next summer there's no travel restrictions anyway, even for the non-vaccinated. Certainly in Europe at least. When the WHO eventually declare the pandemic over, they'll probably start to fall away worldwide when governments realise it's actually pointless and just causes economic harm.

Edited by Elixir

29 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Under these vaccine rules fans from Northern Ireland cannot attend Ibrox or Parkhead, grounds will be significantly emptier. Im now in favour of the passports. 

Sadly there is a proof of vax available in the pallet burning state which is comparable to ours so we will have to file that story under unlucky for the grounds/towns they will visit 

5 minutes ago, Elixir said:

The test before return represents the biggest risk: you're fucked if you or anyone in your party tests positive. It makes city breaks impractical and kills the mood of any holiday by having to concern yourself with it.

The PCR test on day two is burdensome due to cost, particularly for families, and is another substantial barrier.

Agreed. 

If you test positive abroad, it's game over. You're not getting your flight home and your bank balance is about to take a massive hit too. Then there's the ten days in a hotel room, which just sounds like hell on earth, especially if travelling with a young child. Faffing around for tests is also inconvenient as well, especially on short breaks. 

The return PCR is undoubtedly the more annoying in both cost terms and indeed value - you come back and test positive on day 2, then what? You've sat on a plane possibly infectious, moved around an airport and gone about your business. The value you can assign to this is therefore almost zero. But if you do test positive, at least you are home. 

From a tourism perspective, the day 2 is also the most damaging. When looking at holidays I won't consider any country that makes me take a day 2 PCR, or indeed any sort of test on arrival. Looking at it from. That side, anyone considering a UK break will probably be similarly deterred. It's cost and then if you did happen to test positive your holiday is over. 

14 minutes ago, Michael W said:

Agreed. 

If you test positive abroad, it's game over. You're not getting your flight home and your bank balance is about to take a massive hit too. Then there's the ten days in a hotel room, which just sounds like hell on earth, especially if travelling with a young child. Faffing around for tests is also inconvenient as well, especially on short breaks. 

The return PCR is undoubtedly the more annoying in both cost terms and indeed value - you come back and test positive on day 2, then what? You've sat on a plane possibly infectious, moved around an airport and gone about your business. The value you can assign to this is therefore almost zero. But if you do test positive, at least you are home. 

From a tourism perspective, the day 2 is also the most damaging. When looking at holidays I won't consider any country that makes me take a day 2 PCR, or indeed any sort of test on arrival. Looking at it from. That side, anyone considering a UK break will probably be similarly deterred. It's cost and then if you did happen to test positive your holiday is over. 

There's this and theres' also having to abide by whatever mask, distancing and local curfew requirements that are in place at your destination.  it's not a holiday if you need to wear a mask outdoors at all times or have to pre book slots at anywhere you want to eat or drink 

Under these vaccine rules fans from Northern Ireland cannot attend Ibrox or Parkhead, grounds will be significantly emptier. Im now in favour of the passports. 
It also implies this is going to be a tech system to gain entry as opposed to a quick flash of your vaccine status to a steward at a turnstile or cordon. If the later were the case, the issuer of the vaccine status would be a complete irrelevance. An English or NI issued certificate would be as easy to check as a Scottish one. I suppose the release in QR format was a nod to that but you just need to read the thread on the Prem forum to see many anticipate it being a guy glancing at a screen which now seems unlikely.

29 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
2 hours ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

It also implies this is going to be a tech system to gain entry as opposed to a quick flash of your vaccine status to a steward at a turnstile or cordon. If the later were the case, the issuer of the vaccine status would be a complete irrelevance. An English or NI issued certificate would be as easy to check as a Scottish one. I suppose the release in QR format was a nod to that but you just need to read the thread on the Prem forum to see many anticipate it being a guy glancing at a screen which now seems unlikely.

Longer term though, this is daft. Hampden, Ibrox and Celtic Park will all host visiting fans from across Europe. If their country doesn't have a QR Vaccine Certificate system in place, or, just as likely, bins it in the near future, are visiting fans just banned from the games?

Implementing a tech based vaccine passport scheme in October 2021, when we have vaccinated almost 90% of those eligible, and have witnessed cases drop despite having had venues fully open without any passport system for 2 months, is absolute nonsense. Reeks of "look - we did a thing to keep you safe!"

Leitch also has a brass neck citing TRNSMT as an example - the system they used (which he seems to be beaming about how effective it was) was people showing they had a negative test; something that this Passport scheme doesn't deem acceptable.

I look forward to hearing the answers when our journalists raise these points, rather than the usual "so at what point can we lock down again?" Oh, wait...

I'd say they treat us with contempt and like idiots, but plenty seem to lap it up so maybe it's what we deserve.

Edited by Todd_is_God

2 hours ago, Elixir said:

Replacing the latter with a lateral flow is simple lip service to the health freaks and Lovejoy's that 'AR BORDERS ARE STILL PROTECTED', but I doubt anyone will bother their arse if it's actually carried out or not.

I won't be at all surprised if next summer there's no travel restrictions anyway, even for the non-vaccinated. Certainly in Europe at least. When the WHO eventually declare the pandemic over, they'll probably start to fall away worldwide when governments realise it's actually pointless and just causes economic harm.

Yep, it was the test before return which gave us the heeby jeebys. We decided that if either one of us were positive we would both stay. It certainly put a blight on that day waiting for the result, albeit only took about 30 minutes. The PCR on return didn’t cause any concern because we were both back in the UK.

2 hours ago, Elixir said:

I'm off to Spain on Monday for a few days, however the antigen test is only 24 Euros and the Andalucian Gov, in conjunction with the Hotel group that I'm staying, are covering all covid related issues with free insurance which entitles you to 10 days free, including all meals / drinks and repatriation once quarantine complete.

The £68 PCR is a bit of a bugger but will be worth it just to get away !!

9 minutes ago, Suspect Device said:

Has anybody else tried to use your QR reader app on your phone to read the vaccine certificate QR code?

It doesn't work.

Also noticed that the vaccine certificate has an expiry date which is when you downloaded it,

image.png.6b9873dd02804a455956fd76ea1ead4a.png

Downloaded mine for a trip to Spain today and thought the same. Check the date again 

5 minutes ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

Downloaded mine for a trip to Spain today and thought the same. Check the date again 

Is it not just the letter that's required as opposed to this new thing with the QR code ?