Coronavirus (COVID-19)

1 hour ago, Billy Jean King said:
10 hours ago, Todd_is_God said:
I haven't read the details so this is just a guess but is it not just the case that anyone who would ordinarily be offered the flu jag is being offered a booster dose?
All over 50s fall under that umbrella.

I've been in my 50s for a few years and never been offered a flu jab !

It was over 65s until this year, along with other categories like carers etc.

It was over 65s until this year, along with other categories like carers etc.
That's a fair old increase in undertaking for a system stretched to the limit, more so if the over 12s are taken into consideration.

Is efficacy really that short lasting that so many without underlying problems need another dose so soon would be my question ? Presumably the science will be presented this afternoon at the briefing.

3 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

That's a fair old increase in undertaking for a system stretched to the limit, more so if the over 12s are taken into consideration.

Is efficacy really that short lasting that so many without underlying problems need another dose so soon would be my question ? Presumably the science will be presented this afternoon at the briefing.

It could be more a case of them having the doses available so may as well.

No point in being left with tens of millions of doses.

23 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

It's a potential double whammy of a bad flu season along with covid they're worried about. If you catch one while infected with the other it's supposed to be nasty.

16 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

It could be more a case of them having the doses available so may as well.

No point in being left with tens of millions of doses.

And simply because of the bed wetting that was always inevitable ahead of this winter.

This won't be happening as we go into next summer 7/8 months from now, but probably will at this point next year. Depends how long ole Rona takes to wind up as just another cold for 99% of us, even auld biddies. Of course, the crisis will be a memory by next summer for places like Europe and North America.

1 minute ago, welshbairn said:

It's a potential double whammy of a bad flu season along with covid they're worried about. If you catch one while infected with the other it's supposed to be nasty.

At this point if one is susceptible to the other, then I can't see it making a huge difference in terms of overall death figures. Viruses also compete with and can suppress each other - something that isn't fully understood.

2 hours ago, Billy Jean King said:

Fair enough onus must have been on the person to come forward as I have never been "invited" or offered a jab before. My 3rd booster dose will due in a couple of minths if the paper leaks are true so see soon enough.
It shows how little real effort was put into trying to prevent winter strain on the NHS before Covid though.

I would have thought your GP would have organised this, rather than the patients. Our GP sends out a letter every year, as far as I recall.

It would be hard to "come forward" if you didn't know you were entitled to it!

1 hour ago, anotherchance said:

Even putting aside the tweets and her terrible patter, Godley was a divisive character being used in a campaign to try and unite people behind a public health message which is all kinds of insane - it’s the same reason you don’t use somebody from one half of the Old Firm for these things.

Shambles from start to finish.

Would Alfie Conn and Maurice Johnston have been allright, then?

7 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

I would have thought your GP would have organised this, rather than the patients. Our GP sends out a letter every year, as far as I recall.

It would be hard to "come forward" if you didn't know you were entitled to it!

I've never been invited like this, nor given a date.

Always been up to me to organise it.

28 minutes ago, TheBruce said:

If under 50, your fucked then?

You can get one from Boots for £15. Just checked the price with the wife. She is eligible for the free one on the NHS (I've just found out) but even after i told her that, she said that she prefers to get it earlier because she works at RGU and so comes in contact with a lot of students who are plague carriers at the start of every year.

4 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

I've never been invited like this, nor given a date.

Always been up to me to organise it.

Yup, we have to phone the GP to make an appointment around October, think we might get a flyer. Could be different this year if they're doing covid boosters at the same time.