Coronavirus (COVID-19)

38 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Finally and this is a more unprovable point, but Scotland has a conformist political and social culture. That lends itself to one party or group being preeminent.

Or an Ulsterisation of the Scottish electorate has happened (or maybe always existed) where independence supporters chose from Yes supporting parties and vice versa.

Given the lack of choice on the Yes side, we are then left with the spectacle of Yes supporters trying to defend stuff they probably don't agree with .  Like the extension of emergency powers by the SNP. 

7 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

Not really, up until this mornings massive u turn that was also the same "minter" for the UK Gov.

I'm not in favour of these passports and I agree that our Gov is a shambles at the moment, however I can't accept that the UK Gov are in some way much better or much more competent, only that they're unarguably better at using and playing the mainstream media.

The UK Government has been a shit show, no doubt, but there has definitely been less bed wetting as we have gone through the summer and Hancock got caught pumping in his office then subsequently replaced by Javid.

Of course, it helps that they have a sizeable number of backbenchers in their party that keep it in check, unlike the cultists in the Scottish Government.

Could someone remind me of the 'reasoning' for these 'sterile zones' near the dugout and tunnel areas of football stadia in Scotland, which aren't in place in England?
More absolutely laughable theatrics.
https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/liverpool-anfield-premier-league-change-21344507

They have the exact same in the EPL !

36 minutes ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

wife and I returning from Spain tomorrow.

Paid £68 each for PCR on return and £25 each for antigen tests yesterday.

Why??

Just smacks of unnecessary ongoing governmental intervention. I understand everyone's idea of a holiday differs but we had seven days at a pretty empty pool followed by dinner and drinks all of which were taken outside, just about as low risk as it goes. Certainly less risky than both being at work all week and going shopping etc. 

46 minutes ago, Elixir said:

Could someone remind me of the 'reasoning' for these 'sterile zones' near the dugout and tunnel areas of football stadia in Scotland, which aren't in place in England?

It'll be so they don't catch COVID and have to self isolate, meaning they won't be able to play for a few matches. Absolutely nothing to do with actually stopping cases of COVID per se. COVID is no longer the problem, outdated mitigations to protect against COVID are.

1 hour ago, Big Fifer said:

Javid has just confirmed on Marr England are not doing vaccine passports.

1 hour ago, superbigal said:

Plus testing requirements when coming back into the country to be binned.

I’m sure there are some on here who will think those decision are not driven by populism and the latest slump in the polls.

26 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

Is it just me, or is just about every @Elixir claim about what is happening south of the border demonstrably not true.  That’s 2 this morning.

I know he is desperate for “normality - aren’t we all - but just making shit up isn’t helping his credibility here.

1 minute ago, Bairnardo said:
7 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:
I’m sure there are some on here who will think those decision are not driven by populism and the latest slump in the polls.

What should they be doing instead, and more importantly, why?

I'm going to guess "whatever NS does" and "because independence"

1 hour ago, Elixir said:

Because we care more than England…

I'm going to guess "whatever NS does" and "because independence"
What interests me here is the populism assertion. From the same guy who continually tells us in this thread that resteictions are popular and we are "down a rabbit hole" and "in an echo chamber" etc for wanting them binned.

That of course leaves two options....

Either he is talking shite, or the population ARE ok with restrictions, but yet ARE NOT ok with vaccine passports.

If he were able to see past eveything the SNP does is great, he might question either of the above scenarios.

I highly doubt we will see any such self awareness though.

Very odd statement re travel PCR tests" I want to TRY to get rid of PCR tests for travel as quickly as possible ". He could announce today they are gone, there is no wanting to try to get rid. It suggests to me they are simply going to be replaced with LFTs which will no doubt have to be private, no NHS ones just to keep the noses firmly in the trough.

There is no need for ANY testing for double jabbed travellers returning from countries where rates are a fraction of what they are here. They seem to be of the opinion it's merely the costs folk are objecting to, it isn't it's the whole concept and the hassle.

Just now, Billy Jean King said:

Very odd statement re travel PCR tests" I want to TRY to get rid of PCR tests for travel as quickly as possible ". He could announce today they are gone, there is no wanting to try to get rid. It suggests to me they are simply going to be replaced with LFTs which will no doubt have to be private, no NHS ones just to keep the noses firmly in the trough.

There is no need for ANY testing for double jabbed travellers returning from countries where rates are a fraction of what they are here. They seem to be of the opinion it's merely the costs folk are objecting to, it isn't it's the whole concept and the hassle.

Could it not be he needs to convince foreign governments / airlines / unions / lovejoys that they are no longer needed?

3 minutes ago, UsedToGoToCentralPark said:

* not available to viewers in Scotland. Screenshot_20210912-115406_Daily Mail Online.jpg

It would be quite an unexpected development for the SG to announce the same at the same time up here.

Wonder how NS will react when Scottish travellers inevitably book holidays from English airports when this is announced.