Coronavirus (COVID-19)

If we weren't testing 1 fucking per cent of our population daily, instead applying a rational approach of only testing those who are severely ill, how many cases, hospitalisations and deaths would we have? Would we even know there was a pandemic?
The word "casedemic" has never been more fitting than it is right now.
Wouldn't the test positivity rate be roughly the same though whether we test 5k or 50k ? That figure needs to be below 5% before the WHO would even consider declaring the pandemic phase over and ultimately it looks like they are the body that will make that decision. We are a long way from that figure unfortunately.

1 hour ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

Please someone correct me if I’m wrong but I read somewhere that in Australia, whilst driving alone, it is mandatory to wear a mask!!

1 hour ago, Arabdownunder said:

You're wrong. Consider yourself corrected.

Philippines @hk blues can confirm. 

41 minutes ago, hk blues said:

You're correct - required at all times in a car even if alone. 

42 minutes ago, hk blues said:

You're correct - required at all times in a car even if alone. 

Thank you.

The same article also said that they have ‘facial recognition tracking’, curfews and suspension of Parliament.

Scary stuff!!

28 minutes ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

Thank you.

The same article also said that they have ‘facial recognition tracking’, curfews and suspension of Parliament.

Scary stuff!!

Here, the argument was that masks should be worn even when alone in a car so that if and when the driver had to stop at a checkpoint (we have a few of them here) they wouldn't forget to put the mask on.

1 hour ago, Billy Jean King said:
15 hours ago, Todd_is_God said:
If we weren't testing 1 fucking per cent of our population daily, instead applying a rational approach of only testing those who are severely ill, how many cases, hospitalisations and deaths would we have? Would we even know there was a pandemic?

Wouldn't the test positivity rate be roughly the same though whether we test 5k or 50k ? That figure needs to be below 5% before the WHO would even consider declaring the pandemic phase over and ultimately it looks like they are the body that will make that decision. We are a long way from that figure unfortunately.

If we only tested seriously ill people i'd expect the test positivity rate to go up.

That 5% figure is an arbitrary relic from the pre-vaccine days.

2 hours ago, Billy Jean King said:
16 hours ago, Todd_is_God said:

The positivity figure (and case numbers) doesn’t actually matter if hospitalisation and death numbers are low. 

1 hour ago, Suspect Device said:

For what reason? Or just because 'we say so' from the governement.

The argument was that masks should be worn even when alone in a car so that if and when the driver had to stop at a checkpoint (we have a few of them here) they wouldn't forget to put the mask on. 

2 minutes ago, Karpaty Lviv said:

Anyone came back from abroad recently and had to do the day two PCR test? I did it and sent it away yesterday and just wanting to know how long it takes to get the result back.

Got mine back the following morning from the Scotgov one.

The positivity figure (and case numbers) doesn’t actually matter if hospitalisation and death numbers are low. 
In some respects no but the point I was making is that the Pandemic phase of this only ends when the WHO announce so. No national govt (and most definitely not the SG given their very cautious approach) will announce the Pandemic is over and the positivity is one of the measures (sub 5%) the WHO will use to determine when that time has come. Reducing testing won't necessarily bring the pandemic phase to an end any sooner was my point.

It's very difficult to actually reduce testing numbers. How do you stop folk being tested when they are being bombarded by both UK and Scottish govts to be tested with no symptoms or a symptom from an ever growing list of common ever day ailments. We are not alone in testing huge numbers daily it seems to be a "tactic" in most countries. Add in the test to avoid isolating and you have the testing "perfect storm". It will climb higher and higher with Uni returning and the onset of Autumn into Winter I suspect.