Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Genuine question - given the “cheerleaders” chat.
What was the last announcement / policy of the SG where you said “I agree with that”.  Not in retrospect, but at the time?
If you are asking me to pick out one specific policy, im at a bit of a loss, not because there arent any though. I have broadly agreed with, and acknowledged this on the thread, quite a few things the SNP have done. However, as of late, I think they have utterly lost the plot and are playing to a gallery of people who STILL see Covid as a political battleground despite the fact that they dont actually have anyone standing against them.

Its pretty clear from this thread that many agree. I would imagine the contributors here are majority SNP supporters yet we have seen quite a lot of dissent against them more recently.

As far as my own consistency goes, I have called out vaccine passports when the Tories were doing it and will continue to do so because I find them deplorable. I also am at a complete loss as to the motivations of anyone who endorses them, and so we arrive at the cheerleader comment.

• 7,065 new cases of COVID-19 reported
  • 52,193 new tests for COVID-19 that reported results
    • 14.5% of these were positive
  • 0 new reported death(s) of people who have tested positive (noting that Register Offices are generally closed at weekends)
  • 71 people were in intensive care yesterday with recently confirmed COVID-19
  • 771 people were in hospital yesterday with recently confirmed COVID-19
  • 4,126,263 people have received the first dose of the Covid vaccination and 3,736,762 have received their second dose

it's no goin away..

Woman just started at my work who is as scared as they come of the virus. She actually advocates wearing masks from now until the end of time. When I said, I have had the virus and have been fully vaccinated and that we cannot be expected to constantly wear a mask forever, her answer was "But you wearing it protects me!"

I can't believe this is the state we have got into with all this.

Edited by jimbaxters

3 minutes ago, jimbaxters said:

Woman just started at my work who is as scared as they come of the virus. She actually advocates wearing masks from now until the end of time. When I said, I have had the virus and have been fully vaccinated and that we cannot be expected to constantly wear a mask forever, her answer was "But you wearing it protects me!"

Three words.

Get her pumped.

11 minutes ago, effeffsee_the2nd said:

it's no goin away..

For as long as we keep testing 1% of our population on a daily basis it's not going to go anywhere. The majority of these positive tests will be people who are absolutely fine.

An utter shambles.

I cannot understand what it is we are trying to achieve with this absurd level of testing.

Seriously, though, what is the point in testing 1% of the population each day when there are no restrictions on daily life?

I can't get my head around that thought process.

Mass testing is just the latest in a long line of measures introduced in the early days, which are stubbornly retained no matter what.

15 minutes ago, jimbaxters said:

Tell her to buy a FFP3 mask and shut up.

Daily Cases Update:  I think yesterdays fall was due to backlogs in labs and we are back on the rise again Up 2.1% to 792.5 cases per 100K. Another 7,065 cases in the provisional figures announced today. Mongolia the latest to have a crack at the top spot but still 100 behind.

The UK is now back on the rise again.

The Jag enforcement policy may be working as 1st jabs have doubled last couple of days.

Figures for Jags.  1st Vaccines  3,039 to 4,815 to 4,301 ,  2nd vaccines   9,182 to 9,903 

Total Cases Scotland 7 days 28th August to 3rd September  were  42,336 to 43,317 up 2.10%, Positivity was 12.8% now 12.8%.  Cases per 100K were  774.5 now 792.5

Home Nations Daily update  :  UK Average 356.1 to 362.9 up 1.91%, England 303.2 to 309.4 up 2.04%, Wales 445.5 to 465.2 up 4.42%, Northern Ireland  560.8 to 545.9 down 2.66%

In Europe for travellers Serbia 241.8 (weekly change up 42%), Ireland  217.3 (Weekly change -11%),  Albania 209.5 (weekly change up 14%), Switzerland 206.8 (weekly change up 1%), Norway 184.0 (weekly change up 29%), Greece 182.7 (Weekly change -16%),  Bulgaria 151.0 (Weekly change up 2%)   These are still the only main countries over 150 cases per 100K   

Scotland peaks in Wave 3 at 425.1 for 27th June to 3rd July, (UK was 229.9) . Cases that day were 23,222 and positivity 10.8%

Scotland previously peaked in wave 2 at 301.9 for figures 29th Dec to 4th Jan, (UK was 642.1)    Cases that day were 16,496 and test positivity rate was 11.9%  

Council progress in last 24 Hours as follows.

Click cases by neighbourhood to see the spread on the geographical map. 
https://public.tableau.com/profile/phs.covid.19#!/vizhome/COVID-19DailyDashboard_15960160643010/Overview

North Lanarkshire   1239.1  to 1252.6 

Inverclyde 1201.7 to 1228.9  

West Dunbartonshire   1141.0 to 1178.4 

Renfrewshire   1093.1to 1129.9

East Renfrewshire   1104.5 to 1096.2  

Glasgow City   1010.3 to 1038.5

East Dunbartonshire   1043.7 to 1015.2 

South Lanarkshire   989.0 to 981.5

Clackmannanshire   883.2 to 928.1    

HUGE GAP

Midlothian  807.3 to 819.1   

North Ayrshire   773.2 to 812.7

Argyll & Bute   746.8 to 805.3

BELOW AVERAGE

Dundee City   764.0 to 777.4

Falkirk  754.9 to 767.9  

West Lothian   712.1 to 738.8

City Of Edinburgh   729.9 to 737.8 

Fife    700.3 to 734.5  

South Ayrshire  666.1 to 684.9  

East Ayrshire    672.7 to 682.6

Stirling   620.7 to 658.0 

East Lothian    658.9 to 656.2

Highlands   563.2 to 595.5 

Dumfries & Galloway   572.5 to 549.6 

Angus   514.6 to 534.5    

Aberdeenshire   497.0 to 522.3

Aberdeen City   468.4 to 494.2

Scottish  Borders   451.2 to 449.5

Shetland Islands   319.2 to 354.2

Perth & Kinross    319.9 to 335.1

Moray    210.0 to 224.6 

Western Isles   173.6 to 188.7 

Orkney Islands    71.4 to 75.9

Edited by superbigal

6 minutes ago, Michael W said:

Tell her to buy a FFP3 mask and shut up.

That's the thing, she wears one already. Apparently she went home to England for the summer and wouldn't let her old maw go out. Intelligent woman as well but sent mental with all this. 

Edited by jimbaxters

Some folk really are struggling to climb down from the fear tree. I remember reading an article late last year where the author said that big chunks of the country had been "literally scared silly". That stuck in my head and I see it now very clearly. People like the woman at @jimbaxters work, the woman wearing a mask on an empty train, those advocating endless additional measures. The initial March-June 2020 period was genuinely terrifying for people and many have struggled to be coaxed back to a normal sense by now. 

In fact, I worry that the psychological harm inflicted on people acting like this may well last a very long time. Trauma can come in all shapes and sizes and for me, many people acting in an extreme way at the moment may be suffering the effects of the trauma of the first lockdown. 

Worse still, there are people willing to feed their trauma and keep it going. Read Deepti's tweets, retweets and replies - if you were so inclined to believe them, you'd be convinced that Covid causes brain damage to children, and then debilitates them for an indefinite period. And you'd believe that the Government know this and are willing to put your kids at risk in order to keep the local Greggs and nightclubs open. These extremists are very, very harmful to people. 

43 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Seriously, though, what is the point in testing 1% of the population each day when there are no restrictions on daily life?

Mass testing is just the latest in a long line of measures introduced in the early days, which are stubbornly retained no matter what.

To justify the ramping up of vaccine passport then another lockdown in the New Year. 

Bezos' paper got a CIA linked doctor to write an article about denying vaccinated people care......

Going to a gig in England at the weekend.  Just received an email saying we need to either prove vaccination status, provide evidence of a negative LFT from that day or natural immunity by providing evidence of a positive PCR within the last 180 days.

Welcome to the new normal.  Didn't think these rules were kicking in until the end of the month in England.

Going to a gig in England at the weekend.  Just received an email saying we need to either prove vaccination status, provide evidence of a negative LFT from that day or natural immunity by providing evidence of a positive PCR within the last 180 days.
Welcome to the new normal.  Didn't think these rules were kicking in until the end of the month in England.
Not that I'm going to a gig in England at the weekend, but, out of interest, is there an official way of how you go about providing proof of immunity due to a positive PCR test other than the text messages you received at the time?

I fall into the 'eligible' category and still have the texts, but I'd imagine many won't.

32 minutes ago, Left Back said:

I went to a gig down South last Friday. Just reported a negative LFT online and received a confirmation email from them to show at the gig.

I didn't actually take the test and the boy checking these 'Covid passes' clearly couldn't give a shit anyway.

1 hour ago, Todd_is_God said:

Can only use my own example. On Thursday my daughter (aged14)  tested positive on an LFT. Her netball club ask that all players take one before training. 

The four of in household all got PCRs the next day. Cos the rest of us all tested negative and are jagged we could go back to work/school - though wee one is confined to barracks having had covid confirmed. 

So if we are averaging 6k positives a day and same situation as ourselves in household of three or four. Then add in those who get PCRs as standard through work (NHS/care etc). It's easy to see where the 1% a day is coming from. 

13 minutes ago, PWL said:

Can only use my own example. On Thursday my daughter (aged14)  tested positive on an LFT. Her netball club ask that all players take one before training. 

The four of in household all got PCRs the next day. Cos the rest of us all tested negative and are jagged we could go back to work/school - though wee one is confined to barracks having had covid confirmed. 

So if we are averaging 6k positives a day and same situation as ourselves in household of three or four. Then add in those who get PCRs as standard through work (NHS/care etc). It's easy to see where the 1% a day is coming from. 

I understand where they are coming from, but what I don't understand is why we are doing it.

What is the ultimate goal of testing 1 in every 100 people each day, alongside the complete absence of any other measures?

It doesn't make sense.

I think it's quite clear now that the vaccines aren't tremendous at preventing transmission, but they are very good at preventing serious disease. So if we are happy to bin distancing and capacity limits (which I feel is right given the vaccine coverage), then continuing to contact trace and mass test asymptomatic people seems like a complete waste of time, which achieves absolutely nothing other than being disruptive to business and people's lives.

Swinney said the SG have abandoned their zero covid stance. Accept then it is here to stay and get on with life.

Edited by Todd_is_God