Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Just now, Left Back said:

Why?  It’s not that long ago there was zero chance of vaccine passports of any kind in Scotland.

When a politician says no they mean not in the next 5 minutes.

I've never heard Sturgeon ruling it out, only that it was ethically problematic. Essential services like public transport have been specifically ruled out for vax checks.

39 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I've never heard Sturgeon ruling it out, only that it was ethically problematic. Essential services like public transport have been specifically ruled out for vax checks.

Swinney, you know, the Covid recovery minister ruled them out less than 6 weeks ago.  Saying Sturgeon never spoke the words is the worst kind of deflection.

8 minutes ago, Left Back said:

Swinney, you know, the Covid recovery minister ruled them out less than 6 weeks ago.  Saying Sturgeon never spoke the words is the worst kind of deflection.

Well, they've talked about the app for months and repeatedly said using it for domestic stuff as well as foreign travel was a possibility that they were looking into however problematic ethically. 

I see the often held up as an example Israel, are "readying" people for a 4th dose of the vaccine. We've followed them with vaccine passports, so I'm sure we'll follow them on this. Also see the Canadian prime minister wanting vaccine certification for trains, planes, boats etc. What a world [emoji2962]
BBC News - Covid-19: Vaccine passports to start in England this month
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-58452953

Purely out of interest and please don’t take this as a criticism of teachers, but do we actually have any statistics relating to teacher deaths due to Covid?
The EIS are obviously there to look after their members but it would be interesting to know just how justifiable their concerns are.
Hours after allegedly arriving in Spain on holiday your posting shite on a football forum. Sad doesn't even cover it.

12 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Well, they've talked about the app for months and repeatedly said using it for domestic stuff as well as foreign travel was a possibility that they were looking into however problematic ethically. 

Incorrect.  They’ve repeatedly said they are “wrong” and the “wrong way to go” ever since England announced them.  The fact you’re too blinkered to admit this is why you can also make the statement that they’ll never be required for other purposes than those that will be rammed through next week.

1 minute ago, Left Back said:

Incorrect.  They’ve repeatedly said they are “wrong” and the “wrong way to go” ever since England announced them.  The fact you’re too blinkered to admit this is why you can also make the statement that they’ll never be required for other purposes than those that will be rammed through next week.

Happy to bet £50 to the charity of your choice if they introduce a proof of vaccine requirement for public transport before, say New Year? And likewise to mine if they don't.

Just now, welshbairn said:

Happy to bet £50 to the charity of your choice if they introduce a proof of vaccine requirement for public transport before, say New Year? And likewise to mine if they don't.

Nice way to change the subject from the u-turn on domestic vaccine passports.  

I don’t make bets with randoms on the Internet.  Also at what point did I say the would be forced it on public transport?  I was ridiculing your suggesting it couldn’t possibly happen and pointing out why it was a stupid blinkered statement to make.  I think you’ve accepted that now though.

Sturgeon back in February, something she's repeated in nearly every Q+A when asked.

Yellow fever certificates exist for travel to some countries, so there may well be scope for vaccination giving you the ability to do certain things that without vaccination you might not be able to do.

I agree that there are a lot of things - and I’m not sure that is a huge amount of disagreement between the different governments in the UK on this - we need to think through.

We need to, firstly, understand exactly what vaccination gives you, in terms of protection against or passing on the virus.

And then we do need to think about these ethical issues, about what is it reasonable to say can be accessed with a vaccine certificate, if you had that, and what couldn’t. Because there are some people who, for reasons beyond their own control, can’t get vaccinated, and there are other ethical issues that arise from this.

So I think it’s not straightforward, it’s not simple ... I don’t close my mind to this, but I think, like everybody else, we want to think through this carefully.

And if some kind of mechanism like this can give us some greater normality back at some stage that we wouldn’t otherwise get, then let’s think about that.

And when Harvie suggested that “vaccine passports” could make social inequality “even worse”, and make people’s civil rights dependent on their medical history, Sturgeon said she would “never support something that deepened social inequalities, or put barriers in the way of people accessing public services”. But she said these questions illustrated why a debate was needed. 

5 minutes ago, Left Back said:

Nice way to change the subject from the u-turn on domestic vaccine passports.  

I don’t make bets with randoms on the Internet.  Also at what point did I say the would be forced it on public transport?  I was ridiculing your suggesting it couldn’t possibly happen and pointing out why it was a stupid blinkered statement to make.  I think you’ve accepted that now though.

Again, it's not going to happen.

2 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Sturgeon back in February, something she's repeated in nearly every Q+A when asked.

Swinney 6 weeks ago.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/scotland-will-reject-covid-vaccine-passport-plan-john-swinney-suggests-gl350qsm8

Should we just sack the cabinet because only Sturgeon speaks for the Scottish Government?  I’m doing well today.  Got rid of the civil service and the cabinet.  The money I’ve saved the taxpayer will pay for covid recovery.

1 minute ago, Left Back said:

Swinney 6 weeks ago.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/scotland-will-reject-covid-vaccine-passport-plan-john-swinney-suggests-gl350qsm8

Should we just sack the cabinet because only Sturgeon speaks for the Scottish Government?  I’m doing well today.  Got rid of the civil service and the cabinet.  The money I’ve saved the taxpayer will pay for covid recovery.

Swinney has to make a u-turn after just about every time he opens his mouth.