Coronavirus (COVID-19)

3 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

It's a bit weird to spend most of the last 18 months complaining that they're listening to the scientists too much at the expense of everyone else, but then criticise them them not following the scientific recommendation this time.

The health implications should always be just one of several factors taken into account when any decision is made.

It depends what scientists though. JCVI have a clear mandate and specific guidelines for making assesments.

SAGE and con artists like Neil Ferguson are a different kettle of fish.

1 hour ago, virginton said:

The views of teachers are absolutely irrelevant, in the same way that the view of a shop assistant was not needed when deciding to roll out any previous stage of the vaccine program.

Your views are absolutely irrelevant.  You probably know that.

4 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Your views are absolutely irrelevant.  You probably know that.

Purely out of interest and please don’t take this as a criticism of teachers, but do we actually have any statistics relating to teacher deaths due to Covid?

The EIS are obviously there to look after their members but it would be interesting to know just how justifiable their concerns are.

Just now, Dawson Park Boy said:

Purely out of interest and please don’t take this as a criticism of teachers, but do we actually have any statistics relating to teacher deaths due to Covid?

The EIS are obviously there to look after their members but it would be interesting to know just how justifiable their concerns are.

There were stats released the other day, which I heard summarised on the radio as "teachers were no more likely to be hospitalised than anyone else".

Again, much like vaccine passports, I fail to see how vaccinated kids keeps a teacher any safer than said teacher being double dosed with one of the highly effective vaccines. 

It is, it seems to me, another case of folk thining they have a right, at any cost including that not met by themselves, not to be exposed to one particular virus. And this is now in spite of the fact that actually, Delta seems to transmit fairly freely among vaccinated folk.

6 hours ago, welshbairn said:

They specifically don't consider the wider population, just the individual, which surprised me. And they don't consider any non physical factors like missing out on education and social interaction from having to self isolate etc.

The latter of course being the result of nonsense political decisions in the name of 'pUbLiC hEaLtH'.

There should he precisely zero 'measures' at this stage in schools (or the rest of society for that matter) as kids are at no greater risk than any other respiratory infection, most have already had it anyway (or soon will), and teachers will be vaccinated if they're so concerned.

Get in the bin.

So cases now starting to fall week on week. I imagine things will stay fairly stable before another 'spike' as we go deeper into winter, which you would expect. However, that absolutely will not put the health service in peril beyond what we have always accepted and never given a toss about - and there will he no justification for any overreach 'health measures'.

It's over, though there will never be an end point for the well documented psychos and grief chasers. The Simps also need to grow a spine rather than continuing to try and defend the indefensible.

3 hours ago, virginton said:

The views of teachers are absolutely irrelevant, in the same way that the view of a shop assistant was not needed when deciding to roll out any previous stage of the vaccine program.

But the views of a “qualified historian” carry weight?

2 hours ago, RH33 said:

I thought their recommendation went straight to politicians but I stand corrected. I didn't realised it went to CMO.

The JCVI make a recommendation (or in this case not a recommendation).  The politicians can choose to accept or ignore it.  If they’d recommended jagging kids it would be full steam ahead by the administrations with nothing more said.  I doubt any CMO would even attempt to say the JCVI were wrong if they said there were tangible health benefits to jagging kids.  Politicians ideally want as many people jagged as possible.  More jags = less  covid = better optics for politicians so if the CMO said no after the JCVI said yes they’d get a pat on the head and told to pipe down.

The lack of recommendation to jag kids is why the administrations have now asked the CMO’s to review.  It isn’t the answer they wanted.   The CMO with a different remit to JCVI is likely to come up with the answer politicians want.

31 minutes ago, Wee Bully said:

But the views of a “qualified historian” carry weight?

If you could point to where I've been active in shaping public policy in Scotland, that post might be relevant. 

You can't though and so it's not. 

56 minutes ago, virginton said:

If you could point to where I've been active in shaping public policy in Scotland, that post might be relevant. 

You can't though and so it's not. 

Nor will you ever be.  Just an irrelevant sad internet gobshite. 

41 minutes ago, Detournement said:

I can see this being introduced in Scotland during the winter.

More and more mainly older people seem to be taking hard exclude positions to people who choose not to be vaccinated. The nudge unit are working their magic.

The briefing journos will be screaming for it in a few weeks. 

Sturgeon will agree in a desperate appeasement bid because she's sick of the likes of Alison last night tweeting her about masks on trains. 

Edited by Michael W

3 minutes ago, Michael W said:

The briwfing journos will be screaming for it in a few weeks. 

Sturgeon will agree in a desperate appeasement bid because she's sick of the likes of Alison last night tweeting her about masks on trains. 

This would be the measure that leads to riots IMO. If folk can’t get on public transport they are not going to simply take it lying down. Not being able to get to work or visit family etc, will put folk over  the edge.

Edited by Abdul_Latif

6 minutes ago, Michael W said:

The briwfing journos will be screaming for it in a few weeks. 

It's very naive and dangerous to assume that politicians are being forced into draconian measures by the public.

If Johnson and Sturgeon continue to follow the oligarchy orthodoxy on Covid it's because they have it decided it's in their best interest.

Edited by Detournement

21 minutes ago, Abdul_Latif said:

This would be the measure that leads to riots IMO. If folk can’t get on public transport they are not going to simply take it lying down. Not being able to get to work or visit family etc, will put folk over  the edge.

There is zero chance of that happening in Scotland.