Coronavirus (COVID-19)

If they want to introduce vaccine passports then the govt can at least get a working app for it if they haven't already. I'm not phoning up to apply for a bit of paper to attend gigs etc. 

8 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

I'm sure it's been covered on here but how do you get your vaccine certification?  I don't have any of the apps but have been double vaccinated.

7 minutes ago, Paco said:

Currently a letter but an app will be out in a couple of weeks.

I still don't understand why they don't build the functionality into the "main" app for Scotland including a built in QR reader for checking into restaurants pubs etc. Would make things a lot easier.

2 minutes ago, Abdul_Latif said:

Well there’s the kicker.

Greens will vote it over the line. Vaccine passports it is.

Patrick Harvie spoke out against vaccine passports earlier this year. I'll be extremely disappointed to see him do a u-turn (even if I expect it).

In the Scottish parliament Nicola Sturgeon, the first minister, was asked by Willie Rennie, the Scottish Lib Dem leader, and Patrick Harvie, the Scottish Green co-leader, about “vaccine passports”. Although they both raised similar concerns, she sounded mildly more supportive of the principle than Boris Johnson did when he spoke about them earlier. (See 1.11pm.)

Replying to Rennie, who said he was worried that support for “vaccine passports” was “gaining traction”, Sturgeon said she would not support their use for access to public services. But she went on to say that people should not close their minds to the idea completely.

Yellow fever certificates exist for travel to some countries, so there may well be scope for vaccination giving you the ability to do certain things that without vaccination you might not be able to do.

I agree that there are a lot of things - and I’m not sure that is a huge amount of disagreement between the different governments in the UK on this - we need to think through.

We need to, firstly, understand exactly what vaccination gives you, in terms of protection against or passing on the virus.

And then we do need to think about these ethical issues, about what is it reasonable to say can be accessed with a vaccine certificate, if you had that, and what couldn’t. Because there are some people who, for reasons beyond their own control, can’t get vaccinated, and there are other ethical issues that arise from this.

So I think it’s not straightforward, it’s not simple ... I don’t close my mind to this, but I think, like everybody else, we want to think through this carefully.

And if some kind of mechanism like this can give us some greater normality back at some stage that we wouldn’t otherwise get, then let’s think about that.

And when Harvie suggested that “vaccine passports” could make social inequality “even worse”, and make people’s civil rights dependent on their medical history, Sturgeon said she would “never support something that deepened social inequalities, or put barriers in the way of people accessing public services”. But she said these questions illustrated why a debate was needed. She added:

We’ve got to ... whatever direction we take, make sure that we have a broad consensus across the country behind it.

Clicky

Going back to the WFH debate. I've said all along that this is fine for people who do jobs that they can WFH, but if office buildings are to close and new tenants aren't going to into them then the cleaners, catering, security, maintenance staff are going to be out of a job. Not to mention downturns for premises round about these office blocks. It's all very well people saying that it will give them a better balance to WFH some of the time, and I understand that totally, however, it will have large knock on effects that I don't think many are thinking about. 

Big problem for the large numbers of 18-29 who have not bothered to get a 1st Jag as they will have an 8 week wait even if they jump on the Jag gravy train now.

Watch 1st jag numbers soar as the yoofs work it out 

Edited by superbigal

12 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Does that mean that people going to the Killie-ICT game would need vaccine certs (more than 4k people) but our game against Dunfermline (likely not to have 4k+) won't need them?

I’d guess it will be done on the capacity your safety certificate says.

You know whenever a politician says "this shows why a debate is needed" what they mean is "I'm going to let you complain about it and then do it anyway".  Consultation is a good word used in this approach as well.

Big problem for the 49% of 18-29 who have not bothered to get a 1st Jag as they will have an 8 week wait even if they jump on the Jag gravy train now.
Watch 1st jag numbers soar as the yoofs work it out 

25% of that age group are unvaccinated, not 49%. And I doubt it’ll make a significant difference, maybe a few thousand. People who haven’t been vaccinated yet don’t want to be.

Ms Sturgeon says the government does not believe that certificates should ever be a requirement for key services or in settings where people have no choice over attendance.

This includes public transport, education, access to medical services or shops.

She also says the government does not “currently consider it appropriate” to introduce certificates for the hospitality industry as a whole.

However she says the government will keep this under review.

Fitba and nightclubs getting shafted again.