Coronavirus (COVID-19)

1 minute ago, Left Back said:

I’d hazard a guess that the masks being worn in hospitals aren’t the masks being worn by your average punter in the street.  Could be wild speculation but it wouldn’t surprise me if medical grade masks are a tad more effective than yanking a snood over your mouth and nose.

True but it's a mental reach to go from "wearing a mask = no covid and not wearing a mask = covid" means masks are useless.

I can't even see the beginning of a train of thought there 

7 minutes ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

True but it's a mental reach to go from "wearing a mask = no covid and not wearing a mask = covid" means masks are useless.

I can't even see the beginning of a train of thought there 

I wouldn’t bother engaging them, the lunatics have clearly taken over the asylum. 

Lots of interesting posts about the NHS - hospitals, GPS and dentistry and what I can see coming out of this is an explosion of private health care. Eventually, maybe not till after a good few years, people will decide that the service they are getting is crap and the market will kick in. Simple economic rules of supply and demand. A shortage, poor service will bring more private entrants into the market and bingo, off we go. It will be unfortunate, especially for the less well off but that’s what the market is saying.
The NHS should be there for the people not the other way round and, if it isn’t doing it’s job for whatever reason, it’s finished. The market will solve the problem.

8 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

You have to start from the position that McTavish is lying through his teeth.

He's already been caught out lying once today about bed numbers and it's not even midday.

He's a lying b*****d.

Yeah, I’m lying lads, sorry! 

13 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

You have to start from the position that McTavish is lying through his teeth.

He's already been caught out lying once today about bed numbers and it's not even midday.

He's a lying b*****d.

So... one person exaggerated the lack of bed numbers and now masks don't work?

6 minutes ago, Detournement said:

Too many people in the NHS seem to think their role in society is to restrict and ration health care. 

Dawson is sadly correct that unless they begin to behave like a universal service for all then the NHS is finished. 

Agreed. The NHS is a public service. The last 18 months has seen a narrative shift which is more that the public should be living their lives with a view to serving the NHS.

6 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

Agreed. The NHS is a public service. The last 18 months has seen a narrative shift which is more that the public should be living their lives with a view to serving the NHS.

The Tories are obviously quite happy for the NHS to slit it's own throat. Or more accurately have it's throat slit by managers who will ride off to BUPA plans with their pensions. 

Marketisation means offering the as little service as possible for as much renumeration as you can grab. 4 weeks for a GP appointment, mental health and physio therapy near enough inaccessible and now we have hospitals downing tools. 

1 minute ago, Detournement said:

The Tories are obviously quite happy for the NHS to slit it's own throat. Or more accurately have it's throat slit by managers who will ride off to BUPA plans with their pensions. 

Marketisation means offering the as little service as possible for as much renumeration as you can grab. 4 weeks for a GP appointment, mental health and physio therapy near enough inaccessible and now we have hospitals downing tools. 

They aren't downing tools. Selfish people/scum catching a contagious respiritory virus are ruining it for everyone by not following the rules that aren't even that much of an inconvenience anyway........

One thing which confuses me is the consistency of numbers. For example, I watch the daily numbers from the UK and Italy and they have been amazingly consistent for the last two weeks i.e 30000ish new case per day in UK and 6/7000ish in Italy per day. Can any of you brainy lads shed some light on why they are such? I would have expected many more fluctuations.

19 minutes ago, Detournement said:

The public are already rounding on each other and using people's behaviour as the reason the NHS is "overwhelmed" (400 beds in use out of 20,000 due to covid scum idiots) so it's job done.

56 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

Most of us are doubly vaccinated, we're all giving people space around us and 90% are still masking up for milk.

I'm not sure what else you would expect people to do.

What you say is true, but all you have to do is look at the posts on this forum to realise that there appear to be many folk around who seem to think that Covid is a thing of the past.

My son was at an evening in a well-known Glasgow night spot a couple of weekends ago and he told us about the widespread lack of sanity there. One of his group tested positive a couple of days later. It's pretty obvious that we haven't reached the highest ever level of infections because folk are being careful. 

8 minutes ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

What you say is true, but all you have to do is look at the posts on this forum to realise that there appear to be many folk around who seem to think that Covid is a thing of the past.

My son was at an evening in a well-known Glasgow night spot a couple of weekends ago and he told us about the widespread lack of sanity there. One of his group tested positive a couple of days later. It's pretty obvious that we haven't reached the highest ever level of infections because folk are being careful. 

What does “a lack of sanity” look like exactly?

4 minutes ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

I think most people just recognise that being double vaccinated is about as good as you're going to get in the way of protection against this and want their normal life back, content with the risk that they can still catch it and it might still kill them. Covid needs to become a thing of the past in about 5 weeks time or we will have a lot of businesses going bust and a dole queue longer than any queue for a Covid bed. 

The NHS is a public service that the public aren't prepared to pay for.  It's also a service that the demand for has massively increased since its inception due to the growing population simultaneously living longer and getting fatter.

Whilst the NHS in Scotland isnt overwhelmed in terms of the number of COVID patients at present (evidence of the sterling work of the vaccines), Im quite prepared to accept the anecdotes of NHS staff as to how shite working conditions currently are, have been for the last 18 months and generally are every time there is a difficult winter or respiratory virus.  If anyone thinks we have had a fully functioning health service during the pandemic, they need their head examined.

I want a health service that has the capacity built in to be able to be fully functioning despite a widespread illness, preferably without multiple prolonged lockdowns and restrictions which have been needed even to provide the level of care we have seen since March 2020.

Lots of interesting posts about the NHS - hospitals, GPS and dentistry and what I can see coming out of this is an explosion of private health care. Eventually, maybe not till after a good few years, people will decide that the service they are getting is crap and the market will kick in. Simple economic rules of supply and demand. A shortage, poor service will bring more private entrants into the market and bingo, off we go. It will be unfortunate, especially for the less well off but that’s what the market is saying.
The NHS should be there for the people not the other way round and, if it isn’t doing it’s job for whatever reason, it’s finished. The market will solve the problem.
It's out the reach for the vast majority and the govt know it. I've been on a waiting list for a relatively routine operation for 9 months now. Had all the diagnostics despite lockdowns but just caught up now in a huge backlog. If it worsens I've been told not to hesitate in dialing 999 and I will require emergency surgery in that situation. I enquired about going private and had quotes of between 11 and 15k so totally out of the question for me and I would assume the vast majority bar the tiny proportion with private medical plans. The reality for the vast majority is that we are at the mercy of the NHS.