Coronavirus (COVID-19)

12 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

SG website is very specific "should" not "must". They use the word must if you have symptoms and should if your a close contact so pretty sure we are in step with England ie no legal requirement to take a PCR to avoid isolation. As I said though they won't be saying this publicly as messaging is everything to them.

I think you are seeing what you want to here, tbh.

The default position remains that close contacts isolate. The exception comes for double-dosed adults who can end isolation by providing a negative PCR.

If you are a fully vaccinated adult, you should get a PCR test as soon as possible. Provided you return a negative PCR test result and remain asymptomatic, you may end self-isolation as a close contact.

"Should" is used here rather than "must" as it is not mandatory to get tested. You are free instead to choose to not get a test and isolate for 10 days.

I think you are seeing what you want to here, tbh.
The default position remains that close contacts isolate. The exception comes for double-dosed adults who can end isolation by providing a negative PCR.
If you are a fully vaccinated adult, you should get a PCR test as soon as possible. Provided you return a negative PCR test result and remain asymptomatic, you may end self-isolation as a close contact.
"Should" is used here rather than "must" as it is not mandatory to get tested. You are free instead to choose to not get a test and isolate for 10 days.
Maybe I'm misreading it but bottom line is no one is going to do a thing if you are not isolating or testing after being identified as a close contact. I imagine thousands will be doing neither but the original point still stands. New rules bound to lead to a huge jump in PCR tests as way way more folk follow the "rules" than dont.
My work now insisting staff take "necessary measures" to minimise isolation if not having symptoms but identified as a close contact. It's pretty vague. Son works PT at a well known pub chain and they now are being asked to show their negative PCR test if "pinged" to enable them to keep working.

2 hours ago, Todd_is_God said:

I'm not so sure. I fully expect Covid jags to be mixed with the flu jags offered this winter, however so long as the initial doses continue to be effective in reducing serious illness, I don't see a need for any restrictions.

The aim, remember, is to reduce the impact of Covid infections on the health service to a similar risk footprint as any other virus. The vaccines, regardless of the number of "cases" amongst vaccinated people, appear to be doing that.

We also have a much higher vaccine coverage than Israel, and used a longer gap between vaccines that (allegedly) offered greater protection from serious disease following the second dose.

I think the booster programme starts in about 4 weeks.

The joint flu/covid vaccine will come onIine eventually but it hasn't been signed off yet so the booster programme will be a separate exercise for just now.

It was always known that vaccines would "wear off" so hopefully we are ahead of the game on it.

3 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

Son works PT at a well known pub chain and they now are being asked to show their negative PCR test if "pinged" to enable them to keep working.

Workplaces have no option but to apply the rules correctly.

I take your point about people ignoring the rules, however by doing so they are breaking the rules and could be fined if they are caught.

1 hour ago, scottsdad said:

This is very interesting. The meeting I was at today, they were reading out from the new guidelines from the SG. Masks mandatory everywhere for students.  Mandatory for staff except at our desks. 1 metre distancing in place. One way systems are gone. 

We were advised that distancing was no longer required by the government but that the university would still be implementing 1m in all teaching spaces in Semester 1. They hadn't made a decision about masks yet, other than that they would be encouraged apart from staff on their own in an office, where it has never been required.

3 hours ago, Flash said:

Not sure if this has been covered already but the news coming out of Israel isn’t great. Signs that the effectiveness of the vaccines wears off over time. Israel is reintroducing restrictions and giving out third doses of the vaccine to over 50s. It could be an indication that restrictions might have to be reintroduced here before everybody has a third dose of the vaccine. 

ScienceMag

Times of Israel

I'll probably be branded anti vax for this, but I wont be partaking in the booster shot/and or flu vaccine. I've never took the flu vaccine before and imo the only folk getting boosters should be elderly/vulnerable, not people like myself who are mid 30s, fit and healthy and not even a month passed being double dosed.

2 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

I'll probably be branded anti vax for this, but I wont be partaking in the booster shot/and or flu vaccine. I've never took the flu vaccine before and imo the only folk getting boosters should be elderly/vulnerable, not people like myself who are mid 30s, fit and healthy and not even a month passed being double dosed.

I don't think anyone will be shocked by this breaking news, other than that you're double vaxxed.

Anyone had any issues with tests? Basically my girlfriend tested positive on Sunday and we live together in a 2 bed flat so it was pretty certain that I was going to pick it up despite our best efforts to stay in separate rooms. I’ve done daily lateral flows and a PCR on Monday all which have been negative. Developed a bit of a cough yesterday morning and as the day progressed i started feeling gradually worse and by 9pm I felt horrendous. Woke up this morning feeling so bad that I couldn’t even face going to a drive through or walk in test centre so ordered a home PCR test kit. Like I said I have been doing daily lateral flows, the latest one this morning when feeling like dogshit and all have been negative. There’s no way I don’t have it.

Edited by RossDee01

1 hour ago, RossDee01 said:

Anyone had any issues with tests? Basically my girlfriend tested positive on Sunday and we live together in a 2 bed flat so it was pretty certain that I was going to pick it up despite our best efforts to stay in separate rooms. I’ve done daily lateral flows and a PCR on Monday all which have been negative. Developed a bit of a cough yesterday morning and as the day progressed i started feeling gradually worse and by 9pm I felt horrendous. Woke up this morning feeling so bad that I couldn’t even face going to a drive through or walk in test centre so ordered a home PCR test kit. Like I said I have been doing daily lateral flows, the latest one this morning when feeling like dogshit and all have been negative. There’s no way I don’t have it.

My flatmate and his girlfriend both caught covid, they continued going to work despite having all the symptoms because they both had multiple negative LFT results. Eventually after 6 days they both took PCR tests and were positive. 

A tremendous article that every single person everywhere should read, tbh. Especially the bed wetters and virtue signallers. Though a quick browse of the replies shows some of the usual suspects.

"Masks aren't a political statement" 

She has a point, though, given that it could reasonably be thought that the commons chamber was a 'crowded place' today and therefore UK government advice is that a face covering should be worn.

They're all at it.

My son came home from school before the summer holidays just as a close contact but ended up testing positive himself.
Myself and my wife tested negative the next day but were still isolating anyway due to our son.
It was only 8 days into the 10 that my Mrs started to feel a bit off. We got tested again and both of us were positive this time.

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2021/aug/19/fatigued-not-complacent-as-lockdowns-drag-on-australians-find-it-harder-to-comply-with-covid-restrictions

What an absolute fucking nick of a country.

Nighttime curfews. 

mourinho-jose-mourinho.gif.4ffcca5a2c8ef4e6b4a7d11893a502dc.gif

Mandatory masks outside when there's nobody else around.

mourinho-jose-mourinho.gif.4ffcca5a2c8ef4e6b4a7d11893a502dc.gif

Just ship Independent SAGE on a convict ship over there and be done with it. 

11 hours ago, Elixir said:

A tremendous article that every single person everywhere should read, tbh. Especially the bed wetters and virtue signallers. Though a quick browse of the replies shows some of the usual suspects.

Can married people read it too?