Coronavirus (COVID-19)

8 hours ago, scottsdad said:

It's official - the university is making new signs ahead of semester. We're having "one metre plus" social distancing.

Apparently the government has told the universities to have tighter restrictions than the rest of society.

From what I've read, this is not the government policy, but rather universities going their own way with it, probably to placate the unions.

Also noticable how little posting there has been on this thread of late, which I think is a sign of the reduced impact this is having on our lives.

If the SG's Education Secretary can now indicate that they'd like to bin face coverings in secondary schools in 'around six weeks', then they can indicate when they'll be punted in the bin for all other settings as well, instead of pandering to control freaks.

More fatties and subsequent burden on the health service on the horizon. That's what happens when you're myopic and don't take a holistic approach. bQshDtu.png

Posted at 11:49

Parkrun participation fall 'down to broken fitness habits'

c2293060-8218-4892-b1ef-1c3f540ae683.png

BBC Radio 5 Live

08706132-8929-42f3-9ca7-b3a262023797.jpg
Copyright: PA Media

Groups of runners, walkers, buggies and dogs have become a common sight on a Saturday morning at 09:00, in parks and green spaces across the globe, as they assemble for the weekly 5km Parkrun.

Before the pandemic, the timed events took place in 2,200 locations.

In England, events resumed in late July - 16 months after they were suspended due to Covid measures.

Most have restarted worldwide, but participation is down, according to group CEO Nick Pearson. He told the BBC they've seen a drop in runners of 10-15%.

Pearson says organisers intially believed this was due to concern about Covid-19 spreading, but their research has suggested otherwise.

"The biggest reason people aren't coming back is, they've got out of the habit of Saturday mornings... of physical activity. Or they've switched their day around, got into different routines," he tells Radio 5 Live's Wake Up to Money podcast.

"There's an important message there, when we look back and reflect on how we handled the pandemic. Good habits were broken quite quickly, I think.

"Surprisingly, it's older people coming back... younger people have switched their behaviours more rapidly.

"We'll look back and think every week that we were closed, we will have lost a percentage of people who broke that habit, and it will take them a period of time to get back into good, positive health habits."

image.gif

30 minutes ago, Elixir said:

More fatties and subsequent burden on the health service on the horizon. That's what happens when you're myopic and don't take a holistic approach. bQshDtu.png

image.gif

Sunday's first post covid park run in Inverness was cancelled because they didn't get the ok for the new paper work in time.

Edited by welshbairn

33 minutes ago, Elixir said:

image.gif

I know theres a lot to look back at come the time, and it might come across as trivial, but I think the way gyms/exercise was treated was really really poor, given the link between fitness and covid outcomes

24 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

I know theres a lot to look back at come the time, and it might come across as trivial, but I think the way gyms/exercise was treated was really really poor, given the link between fitness and covid outcomes

Agree completely. 

I actually think we should be paid a little to excersise. Having a fit and healthy population would soon see the burden on the NHS dramatically drop. I'd bet it would work out better economically too than the current set up too.

56 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Sunday's first post covid park run in Inverness was cancelled because they didn't get the ok for the new paper work in time.

I've done that parkrun before, you run round the Bught three times, how can that need special paper work?

3 hours ago, oaksoft said:

Cases are dropping and there's Afghanistan, Climate Change and a 0.3% drop in house prices to talk about now.

Normal life is returning.

Afghanistan, climate change, house prices, and Jim Goodwin’s 3-5-2.

1 hour ago, Steven W said:

Agree completely. 

I actually think we should be paid a little to excersise. Having a fit and healthy population would soon see the burden on the NHS dramatically drop. I'd bet it would work out better economically too than the current set up too.

Cheeky wee £50 for all the 5K's I run. h83zAKO.png

4 hours ago, craigkillie said:

From what I've read, this is not the government policy, but rather universities going their own way with it, probably to placate the unions.

Also noticable how little posting there has been on this thread of late, which I think is a sign of the reduced impact this is having on our lives.

I'm working under the University guidance and thats exactly it. We don't have to social distance but we do have to wear masks. Unless we can maintain 1 m distance and then we can ditch masks.

The TUs and management have agreed we will do both 1m and masks.

I don't really care but it's a massive ballache given we were told no social distancing and we risk assessed and did capacities for 7 learning centres on that basis and then management changed goalposts to move us in line with schools. So now we had to the repeat exercise for 1m knowing full well we will be doing it again in a few weeks back to 0.

7 hours ago, superbigal said:

Home Nations Daily update  :  UK Average  293.3 to 294.6 up 0.44%, England  306.1 to 306.4 up 0.10%, Wales 162.0 to 180.9 up 11.67%, Northern Ireland  499.7 to 501.3 up 0.32%

The  sharp rise in Wales  now puts Scotland lowest of the 4 nations. 

Northern Ireland now over 500 per 100K has 4 of the most Covid ridden council authorities in the UK. It tops the European charts by a huge 63% higher than any other major nation.

were the staunch allowed a marching season in july ?  ....so the central belt can expect a huge surge in the near future🙄