Coronavirus (COVID-19)

I assumed it was that so went and checked. Even dates later than the 8 weeks all showing nothing. Will just need to miss my appointment and then try walking in another day after it which isn’t great.

You can walk in anywhere, any time as long as it’s 8 weeks since the first dose. I walked into EICC the day before my appointment because it suited a bit better, so you don’t need to wait until you’ve missed your appointment or anything. Just told the guy on the door I was a walk-in and sorted everything out at the registration desk.

1 hour ago, Billy Jean King said:
1 hour ago, Elixir said:
Except there's the October Holidays, and Christmas, and the fact that the UK will continue to slip further behind its competitors. I also imagine as the number of fully vaccinated folk 'testing positive' abroad increases over autumn and winter and therefore leaving them stranded, which isn't happening to EU or US citizens, the media criticism will only continue.

I'm not disagreeing and I have two trips booked between now and Christmas. Long weekend in Paris in October is simply unviable with the current testing requirements and while I would grudgingly pay it in November for 2 weeks in the Canaries I'm far from convinced that won't be cancelled by the operator as they are currently cancelling left right and centre to consolidate flights due to the lack of demand which is almost certainly down to the cost and uncertainty caused by the testing requirements.

I've heard from people in the trade that airlines are scheduling ghost flights that are never intended to fly just to keep slots and routes open till everything opens up. So you book a flight and it's cancelled a few weeks later. It's happened to me months before flight dates with no change to traffic lights etc.

32 minutes ago, Paco said:

You can walk in anywhere, any time as long as it’s 8 weeks since the first dose. I walked into EICC the day before my appointment because it suited a bit better, so you don’t need to wait until you’ve missed your appointment or anything. Just told the guy on the door I was a walk-in and sorted everything out at the registration desk.

Ideal, that’s where I want to go so I’ll just head in. 

An example of the daft travel rules is that you want to go on a holiday in the US, simply have a fortnight in UK red listed Turkey first, and fly from there. Then fly straight home to the UK, no problem.

13 hours ago, Elixir said:

An aptly timed article from The Torygraph - and it's spot on.  It does seem like the pressure is starting to build, so hopefully they get it fucked off fairly soon.

I've got a couple of holidays booked for September but fully intending on leaving it right up to the last minute before moving anything as honestly can't see how they can persist with this testing nonsense for the double jagged when nobody else is doing it.

As you say, pressure is building and hopefully they'll chuck it in the next couple of weeks and let us all get on with our life as best we can without the constant nanny state interference.

https://inews.co.uk/news/politics/working-from-home-pingdemic-and-delta-fear-have-left-city-centres-empty-since-end-of-lockdown-experts-warn-1146921

According to this survey Step four has made little difference to the levels of footfall in cities, with people working from home still being a major cause of lack of business in centres.

A lot of businesses dependant on commuters are going to face big problems.

6 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

https://inews.co.uk/news/politics/working-from-home-pingdemic-and-delta-fear-have-left-city-centres-empty-since-end-of-lockdown-experts-warn-1146921

According to this survey Step four has made little difference to the levels of footfall in cities, with people working from home still being a major cause of lack of business in centres.

A lot of businesses dependant on commuters are going to face big problems.

Which is why the UK government has previously pushed for a return to the office, and will likely do so again. 

Can’t be having these businesses closing down and drying up the rent streams to the big Tory donor property developers. 

2 hours ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Just been given my second vaccine appointment but I can’t make it, and was going to bring it forward to basically next week if possible, but when going to rearrange it’s claiming there’s no appointments available at any location at any time.

Are places still doing walk-ins and can I just show up any time now or does it have to be after 8 weeks from first one?

1 hour ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

I assumed it was that so went and checked. Even dates later than the 8 weeks all showing nothing. Will just need to miss my appointment and then try walking in another day after it which isn’t great.

Aye, it's got to be at least 8 weeks or they turn you away, I've heard. I wouldn't worry about dropping in, my flat mate couldn't make either of his appointments and dropped in at 5pm and got his no problem. 

2 hours ago, Billy Jean King said:
3 hours ago, Elixir said:
Except there's the October Holidays, and Christmas, and the fact that the UK will continue to slip further behind its competitors. I also imagine as the number of fully vaccinated folk 'testing positive' abroad increases over autumn and winter and therefore leaving them stranded, which isn't happening to EU or US citizens, the media criticism will only continue.

I'm not disagreeing and I have two trips booked between now and Christmas. Long weekend in Paris in October is simply unviable with the current testing requirements and while I would grudgingly pay it in November for 2 weeks in the Canaries I'm far from convinced that won't be cancelled by the operator as they are currently cancelling left right and centre to consolidate flights due to the lack of demand which is almost certainly down to the cost and uncertainty caused by the testing requirements.

2 hours ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

I can think of at least one major carrier who won't survive this if it goes on much longer.

It would be far cheaper for the government to either reduce or get rid unnecessary tests (or at least provide them for free) than the substantial bailouts they will need to pay to keep the industry going or to cover costs of travel businesses that go under.

3 hours ago, Elixir said:

But this was always going to happen over time, it's why boosters will become an annual thing for the vulnerable, or at least until we really are in a state where Covid is no more than another common cold strain due to eventual repeated infections.

Oh, and it's obviously ideal for Big Pharma's bank balance. Andrew Pollard (Oxford/AstraZeneca vaccine, sold at cost) has only recently criticised this. People getting 'breakthrough infections' that are essentially the sniffles is not an issue. The pandemic is still ending.

The Governments of the UK have been very fortunate that the weather has been excellent for the most part this summer, otherwise people wouldn't be quite so content.

I also believe that the message is starting to get through to the general public that we're the only ones requiring these tests and many are starting to believe (rightly or wrongly) that the main reason is financial gain and cronyism as opposed to any public health reason. I mean, this was the same band of charlatans that were encouraging Indians in without issue when the rest of the world had them on the most dangerous list due to the new variant over there, so it didn't seem to be an issue then, but then again folk going to Tenerife for a week aren't begging for a trade deal.

Give it a few weeks of wet and windy weather and see if folk are still quite content to sacrifice their week or two in the Canaries / Algarve / Costa Del Sol to either sit in the house staring out at the wind and rain or trading it for a few days of misery to Aviemore or Blackpool where they'll be over paying by hundreds of pounds for the privilege.

I really do feel the Government totally underestimate the value that a large proportion of society place on a foreign holiday (especially with our climate) and I'm also sure that this will be having a very serious effect on their popularity both at UK and Scottish levels, hopefully pressure will continue to grow until they come to their senses and let's just hope that it's in time to save the aviation sector which is being crucified by the day...

1 minute ago, The Moonster said:

Aye, it's got to be at least 8 weeks or they turn you away, I've heard. I wouldn't worry about dropping in, my flat mate couldn't make either of his appointments and dropped in at 5pm and got his no problem. 

Depending on supply that day I think. Tbh its dead easy to reschedule it on the website.

10 minutes ago, The Master said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-58182419

Lockdown in Canberra because one case has been detected. 

Madness. 

Extra military reinforcements could be called upon to ensure compliance with lockdown rules in Sydney, the New South Wales state government said.

"We are making sure that we do not leave any stone unturned in relation to extra (military) resources," state Premier Gladys Berejiklian told a media conference.

Some 580 unarmed army personnel are already assisting police in enforcing quarantine orders in areas of Sydney.

Agreed!