Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Would love to see the science underpinning this now. Ostensibly an argument can be made that pubs and nightclubs are different settings so that straw can be clutched, but clearly that logic falls to bits under the slightest bit of scrutiny. If it's okay to stand maskless and drink in a nightclub, because that has to be done to allow them to open, then why wouldn't it be okay for that same group of people doing so to stand and drink when they're in a pub before going to a nightclub, considering that allowing this is necessary for pubs to get back to full capacity? What's the difference?

In terms of weddings, you're talking about the exact same group of people being sat in a room for a ceremony having to wear masks, then for the reception an hour or so later, which could even be in the exact same room, it's fine for that same group of people to sit round tables together, go to the bar and dance not wearing masks? What?

Surely today we'll finally get the actual detail for each sector published.

Edited by Dunning1874

17 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Could we see some teams set up training camps in the North of England to get round this?

Going by our clubs results in Europe this season the socially distanced training regimes seem to be working very well....

28 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

All the guests were at the wedding I was at. 

Edit: I assume you misread the post, it specifically is talking about guests, nothing to do with bride and groom, so it absolutely is happening now.

Edited by Honest_Man#1

The simple question that should be being asked to the SG is 'How can Covid know not to infect people on a dancefloor but it's still allowed to infect people shopping or standing outside in a football stadium?'

10 hours ago, Alex_14 said:

My Australian partner reckons it’s because by keeping them in the country, it’s technically another Australian they’ve ‘repatriated home’ and boosts the stats. Makes sense. Well, it’s mental, but it’s an explanation.

I suspect it's more to do with potential backlashes to these restrictions - there will be a federal election in the next 10 months and everything is framed around that.

The travel restrictions mean travel is something for rich or famous people only and eventually that will have political implications.

9 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

The simple question that should be being asked to the SG is 'How can Covid know not to infect people on a dancefloor but it's still allowed to infect people shopping or standing outside in a football stadium?'

I'm not justifying it but perhaps dancing is viewed as exercise ala gyms or playing sport, but going to the shops isn't?

The main problem is they've completely lost the run of themselves. Too far in now to look at things rationally.

5 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

I'm not justifying it but perhaps dancing is viewed as exercise ala gyms or playing sport, but going to the shops isn't?

The main problem is they've completely lost the run of themselves. Too far in now to look at things rationally.

Perhaps, but you're far more likely to catch it in a busy, sweaty indoor space than outside on a terrace.  Just really bizarre logic.

Edit - In short, get face masks to absolute fucking fuck.

Edited by TheScarf

15 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

The stock response (which I don't agree with) will be that there is a finite amount of acceptable risk. Allowing certain activities without masks pushes us closer to that level of risk. Once all the acceptable risk is used up we need to keep masks everywhere else, otherwise the risk is pushed beyond acceptable levels. So while it might seem inconsistent, there is a scientific basis behind it.

Spoiler

And you just read that in Jason Leitch's voice.

Edited by The Master

4 minutes ago, The Master said:

The stock response (which I don't agree with) will be that there is a finite amount of acceptable risk. Allowing certain activities without masks pushes us closer to that level of risk. Once all the acceptable risk is used up we need to keep masks everywhere else, otherwise the risk is pushed beyond acceptable levels. So while it might seem inconsistent, there is a scientific basis behind it.

Reveal hidden contents

And you just read that in Jason Leitch's voice.

I've heard Leitch spout this nonsense but it isn't scientific.

9 hours ago, The Master said:

Also still required in “sports stadiums”.

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ssi/2021/277/regulation/6/made

Although that doesn’t yet seem to have the exemption for dancing in nightclubs, so who knows what else might change…

The section linked is a list of places where regulation 5 applies which is specifically regarding indoor spaces within those types of places.

This should mean you only need to wear a mask when in any indoor part of a stadium.

Edited by Pie Of The Month

11 hours ago, Michael W said:

That this sort of stuff continues to fly in a liberal democracy, or what we thought was liberal, is nuts. 

I'm nor sure there's ever been a Covid measure that the majority of people haven't thought was too authoritarian. Which is terrifying. 

The ozzies are weird because they go through phases of making really good decisions like after port arthur etc where even their conservative politicians screw the nut and then do mad shit like this. 

10 hours ago, Left Back said:

The sentiment may be correct but in principle I’d have far more faith in numbers being reported correctly in the developed world.  Not defending the actions here but trying to dig beyond the sensationalism.

Im not against the idea of hotel quarantine where there is a scientific need, the virus running riot through brazil etc and Bolsonaros attitude towards it are mental, i dont get why they couldnt change things earlier for the UAE.  I also would have supported the quarantine for India and Pakistan on the back of the delta which Boris failed to implement earlier. But it has to be done appropriately and should be fully transparent. 

What do we think will happen then?  continue with this farce for 3 weeks then review against case numbers and decide masks are no longer required in hospitality but are required in "essential setting" ie ones where people have no choice but to go to?

There's absolutely not a chance it will be observed or enforced in pubs and clubs , this really is all about saving face, pardon the pun

There really is no reason to keep anything now, but after telling us all to "keep being carefull" all summer whilst rules were relaxed they think it's a bad look now if they suddenly say ok do what you like.  Somehow they've actually managed to look more foolish than Boris , well done

Edited by effeffsee_the2nd