Coronavirus (COVID-19)

• 799 new cases of COVID-19 reported
  • 13,807 new tests for COVID-19 that reported results 
    • 6.5% of these were positive
  • 1 new reported death(s) of people who have tested positive (noting that Register Offices are now generally closed at weekends)
  • 60 people were in intensive care yesterday with recently confirmed COVID-19
  • 407 people were in hospital yesterday with recently confirmed COVID-19
  • 4,012,496 people have received the first dose of the Covid vaccination and 3,214,801 have received their second dose

God I really hope that’s not a Sunday testing slump.

One good thing about covid is the movement to more outside drinking. Currently in edinburgh and lots of places been turned into outside drinking places. I hope this continues post covid. Its fucking magic. Even in winter, if you can get it covered with some heaters.

One good thing about covid is the movement to more outside drinking. Currently in edinburgh and lots of places been turned into outside drinking places. I hope this continues post covid. Its fucking magic. Even in winter, if you can get it covered with some heaters.

Perth has never had a large abundance of outdoor drinking areas. This has caused some places to actually work at creating outdoor seating and I hope it continues.

7 minutes ago, mizfit said:

Perth has never had a large abundance of outdoor drinking areas. This has caused some places to actually work at creating outdoor seating and I hope it continues.

Same in Dundee. Only a couple of places with regular outdoor seating areas but now  there’s loads. And those with existing areas have found the space to make them bigger. 

I’m also a fan of the app ordering. No having to waste valuable drinking time queuing at the bar then shouting the order twice so it can be heard. 

Was this posted earlier? Another scare story the Covid Losers cling to that has been well and truly found out. Remember Sridhar publicly stated 'it didnae work!' against it and helped undermine global confidence in it? Particularly in her poster child Australia rather ironically, which is now coming back to bite them on the arse.

(so-called South Africa variant, protection will be even greater after full vaccination)

4 hours ago, Lyle Lanley said:

Colin said last week clubs were likely to stay shut beyond the 9th of August and said tonight it’s likely they will open.

I hope the nightclub owners take the SG to court if they have to remain closed from next week still. 

Personally I’ll be very surprised if nightclubs are allowed to open as normal from Monday.

I suspect they will be ‘open’ in name only with testing, table service and masks to be worn when not at tables. 

Edited by PedroMoutinho

9 minutes ago, PedroMoutinho said:

Personally I’ll be very surprised if nightclubs are allowed to open as normal from Monday.

I suspect they will be ‘open’ in name only with testing, table service and masks to be worn when not at tables. 

Good luck trying to enforce people wearing masks in a nightclub :lol: 

56 minutes ago, Lyle Lanley said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-58057371

As we all expected masks to be needed for some time. 

Bearing in mind the main opposition party is currently the Conservatives, you would expect that they would quiz NS on what "for some time" actually means, and what needs to happen to see this rather useless measure binned.

They won't though, such is the political nature of this pandemic, where every statement is carefully calculated in such a way to avoid potentially upsetting voters rather than anything else.

ETA what makes this even more pathetic, is DR wants masks binned in classrooms. If they want them ditched in classrooms, then, given it's quite clear that children do actually catch and spread Covid, then there's absolutely no reason to argue for keeping them anywhere else.

Edited by Todd_is_God

20 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

Is it later today NS will confirm the lifting of restrictions on the 9th? Usually theres been leaks about what to expect from the updates so I dont know if the lack of spoilers is a good sign or a bad sign

You can almost guarantee something will be tweaked for the sake of it. Most likely something relating to indoor hospitality or football*. Just going with the original plan doesn't appear to be the SNP way.

*I'll guess one of either continuing to ban "vertical drinking" and ordering at the bar indoors (i.e. table service only), therefore maintaining a de facto level of social distancing, and capping football crowds at some arbitrary number below 100% capacity.

Edited by Todd_is_God

1 minute ago, Thereisalight.. said:

Is it later today NS will confirm the lifting of restrictions on the 9th? Usually theres been leaks about what to expect from the updates so I dont know if the lack of spoilers is a good sign or a bad sign

I’m saying good sign.

In the past, bad news has been preceded by a drip-drip of scare stories in the media. We didn’t get any before the level 0 announcement and there’s not been any ahead of tomorrow. 

We were in England a fortnight ago, on the day that they dropped restrictions and our daughter and her friend had a couple magic nights out  in nightclubs. From what they said, it was 100% back to normal; quite a mental buzzing atmosphere too since it was opening night and first time in 17 months they had the young team in enjoying themselves.
Either we lift our restrictions or we don’t, as any mealy- mouthed pointless caveats and “ for some time” oddball rules on standing at a bar or not being able to buy a bovril at the football in case you kill pensioners and children, surely won’t be tolerated. Of course this is, as we know, will be exactly what happens, just to continue the appearance the Scottish Government is seen to be more caring etc. 

I know this is the Sun reporting this but this idea of keeping 1m rule in all indoor public setting can get in the sea. 

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/news/scottish-news/7496048/nicola-sturgeon-briefing-schools/

Limits on numbers of people gathering and all physical distancing regulations were due to be lifted next Monday.

But earlier today, it emerged the 1m rule between households in all indoor public settings could remain in certain circumstances.