Coronavirus (COVID-19)

9 minutes ago, sparky88 said:

I'd say if you've decided to sit in a train to go somewhere, you can't be that bothered about virus transmission given how close people are to each other, in most cases for over the time it takes for the virus to be passed on if you are sitting in someone's company. 

A piddly wee mask isn't going to do anything in that situation. Otherwise office workers would be encouraged to go back into the office with masks on. 

Of course it isn't. But the government have spent 12 months telling people that they are tremendously effective and that if we don't wear them everyone in the room will die.

Most won't be arsed, but some people will have swallowed this whole and been absolutely broken mentally by it. Remember it is primarily because of these people being scared that the SG, Khan and Burnam are wanting to keep them.

Edited by Todd_is_God

12 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

I could be wrong but I always assume @Elixir is aiming his laughter at the #ZeroCovid nutjobs rather than anything else. 

Yeah, it's a tragedy what is happening in places like Australia, but they've been brainwashed into believing it is the answer. The conductors of this were always going to be exposed in the medium and long-term while pointing the finger at places like the UK, Europe and the US in the short-term. We were always going to have the 'last laugh', as is now becoming evident.

I’m really not sure where you are going with this.
The people we are talking about are being punished by the restriction of their liberty.  What we were talking about was how we educate and rehabilitate them, as some people were complaining about them being referred to as “clients”.
Yeah,I referred to them as clients. A wee bit tongue in cheek, but the whole CJ system is built around rehabilitation, and we do, trite as it may sound, try to make a difference.
There are, imho, very few actual "born bad" residents in the Queen's Hotel chain. You should be looking at the higher levels of society for these - like a Home Secretary whose empathy with others extends to trying to criminalise the RNLI, or a Prime Minister who doesn't mind arranging for people to be beaten.
Some "enlightened" commentators try to place the roots of criminal behaviour in drug use and misuse, and there's some truth in that. Deeper, though, is the root cause these two anti-social behaviours have in common - poverty. It is a fucking disgrace that in a country where our elected representatives can throw billions at a vanity rail line, children are going hungry. That these same representatives actually legislated so that privately rented accommodation did not have to be fit for human habitation. More than a few landlords in that asylum by the Thames..
Anyway,I digress. If we don't believe in rehabilitation, we might as well bring back the death penalty: for burglary, reckless driving, non-payment of fines, robbery, fraud..
I mean, the perpetrators are all criminals and therefore beyond the pale, right?
This little sub-thread has simply confirmed what we all knew about DPB and Oaksoft. They are horrible, sociopathic creatures who deserve all the respect you'd give to anything you picked up on your shoe.

Not usually one for the dull wee anecdotes but the Queen of the Lovejoys is on my train up to Aberdeen. Older woman accosted a young lad for not wearing a mask, said she had spares and tried to give him one of the spares, he said no thanks and she said he was a danger to every passenger on the train. She moved seat and grassed him to the conductor.
Wonder how often this is happening. 
You might like the Joel McHale show on Netflix. There's a whole segment entitled "That Happened".

31 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

I could be wrong but I always assume @Elixir is aiming his laughter at the #ZeroCovid nutjobs rather than anything else. 

The fact that what’s proving him right is people getting sick and dying doesn’t get in the way of a good laugh, clearly.

16 minutes ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

Anyway,I digress. If we don't believe in rehabilitation, we might as well bring back the death penalty: for burglary, reckless driving, non-payment of fines, robbery, fraud..
I mean, the perpetrators are all criminals and therefore beyond the pale, right?

Yeah that's not actually why the death penalty was abolished and remains out of use (that would be the issue of wrongful conviction), but don't let that get in the way of yet another tedious, self-righteous rap lecture. 

Edited by vikingTON

13 minutes ago, eez-eh said:

The fact that what’s proving him right is people getting sick and dying doesn’t get in the way of a good laugh, clearly.

Birthday Caird pish.

People have gotten sick and died forever.

#ZeroCovid was a disatrously flawed approach and deserves ridicule.

Just now, Todd_is_God said:

Birthday Caird pish.

What has that got to do with laughing about it?

I’m not a “lovejoy” by any means but that’s just psychopath behaviour.

6 minutes ago, virginton said:

Yeah that's not actually why the death penalty was abolished and remains out of use (that would be the issue of wrongful conviction), but don't let that get in the way of yet another tedious, self-righteous rap lecture. 

Spectacularly missing the point in order to get in a cheap jibe.  virginton - swing and a miss (again).

He didn’t say that was why it was abolished though, did he? He said that if you don’t believe in rehabilitation, you might as well bring it back as there is no other “cure”. 

Just now, eez-eh said:

Why should we not laugh at any 'expert' who preached #ZeroCovid?

The end result of such an approach was both inevitable and obvious, yet we had some of the supposedly most intelligent and qualified people advocating and lobbying for it.

7 minutes ago, eez-eh said:

Believe it or not, a few bamming up posts on a message board does not mean I endorse mass death.

30 minutes ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

Yeah,I referred to them as clients. A wee bit tongue in cheek, but the whole CJ system is built around rehabilitation, and we do, trite as it may sound, try to make a difference.
There are, imho, very few actual "born bad" residents in the Queen's Hotel chain. You should be looking at the higher levels of society for these - like a Home Secretary whose empathy with others extends to trying to criminalise the RNLI, or a Prime Minister who doesn't mind arranging for people to be beaten.
Some "enlightened" commentators try to place the roots of criminal behaviour in drug use and misuse, and there's some truth in that. Deeper, though, is the root cause these two anti-social behaviours have in common - poverty. It is a fucking disgrace that in a country where our elected representatives can throw billions at a vanity rail line, children are going hungry. That these same representatives actually legislated so that privately rented accommodation did not have to be fit for human habitation. More than a few landlords in that asylum by the Thames..
This little sub-thread has simply confirmed what we all knew about DPB and Oaksoft. They are horrible, sociopathic creatures who deserve all the respect you'd give to anything you picked up on your shoe.

Steady up.

I seem to recall stating that the purpose of a custodial sentence should be punishment, education and rehabilitation.

I don’t mind being at the opposite end from you politically and, therefore fit for abuse from your self imposed sainthood but, in this case, I think you’re being a little unfair.

2 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Birthday Caird pish.

Exactly.

The measures the Zero Covid brigade wanted to keep in place unnecessarily would disproportionately impact others, socially, financially and so on.  

Advocating these things is absolute c**t behaviour when you’re doing fine and it’s somebody else’s livelihood at stake. Especially when it came hand in hand with those who questioned Zero Covid as being selfish and uncaring.

Taking delight at such sanctimony coming crashing down around us is fair game, and it says a lot about those who don’t like a light being shone on such behaviour.

22 minutes ago, virginton said:

..except nowhere in my post do I mention any reason for the repeal of Capital Punishment - which was a tad more complex than your soundbite opinion. I'm sure your wee acolytes will be round soon to give your sharp insight the reputation they feel deserving of the Great Swami of Inverclyde, so that's nice.

7 minutes ago, anotherchance said:

Exactly.

The measures the Zero Covid brigade wanted to keep in place unnecessarily would disproportionately impact others, socially, financially and so on.  

Advocating these things is absolute c**t behaviour when you’re doing fine and it’s somebody else’s livelihood at stake. Especially when it came hand in hand with those who questioned Zero Covid as being selfish and uncaring.

Taking delight at such sanctimony coming crashing down around us is fair game, and it says a lot about those who don’t like a light being shone on such behaviour.

Pulling up someone for laughing at a virus ripping through a mostly unvaccinated country says a lot about me?

The zero COVID people are nutters but I’m not about to start laughing at the state Australia is in just now.

3 minutes ago, eez-eh said:

I’m not about to start laughing at the state Australia is in just now.

That's not what anyone is doing, though.

Wonder what the thoughts of Devi 'Book Coming' Sridhar are on #ZeroCovid now btw. Silent, presumably.

4 minutes ago, eez-eh said:

Pulling up someone for laughing at a virus ripping through a mostly unvaccinated country says a lot about me?

The zero COVID people are nutters but I’m not about to start laughing at the state Australia is in just now.

I’m happy to laugh at people who pointed to Australia as some sort of example as to how to do things.

21 hours ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

It’s just the usual pc nonsense.

In my book, a client is someone paying voluntarily for a professional service.

Convicts are people being deprived of their liberty by the state because they have carried out a misdemeanour against society.

I just think the word ‘client’ is wrong in this context.

A prison sentence should be a combination of punishment, education and rehabilitation.

First bolded bit requires, I believe, no explanation for opprobrium.

Second bit betrays a lack of appreciation of the CJ system which (I think) Wee Bully alluded to later in the conversation

20 hours ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

Inmate - yes, okay.

My first thought would be convict - noun of convicted but maybe that’s a bit old fashioned.

First line - absolutely not, and has been out of use in the system for over a decade. 

Second line - same lack of understanding as post 1. Not all prisoners are convicts. 

11 minutes ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

Steady up.

I seem to recall stating that the purpose of a custodial sentence should be punishment, education and rehabilitation.

I don’t mind being at the opposite end from you politically and, therefore fit for abuse from your self imposed sainthood but, in this case, I think you’re being a little unfair.

You did say a custodial sentence should be a combination of three things. Thing is, again, it's a wee bit more complex than that. Sorry, scrap that. A custodial sentence is waayy more complex than that. A fact which some on here understand, fewer have knowledge of, and some don't actually care about, because, of course, it's the usual PC nonsense. Just lock the fuckers uop, yeah?

Again -  NOBODY gets punished in Prison in this country, unless they commit further offences whilst in custody.