Coronavirus (COVID-19)

6 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

Not usually one for the dull wee anecdotes but the Queen of the Lovejoys is on my train up to Aberdeen. Older woman accosted a young lad for not wearing a mask, said she had spares and tried to give him one of the spares, he said no thanks and she said he was a danger to every passenger on the train. She moved seat and grassed him to the conductor.

Wonder how often this is happening. 

Fucksake !

She would have fainted if she was on my train last week going to Queen Street. Lot of young teams getting on at Polmont Falkirk etc. Some deffo enroute to the Celtic game.

Dragon Soops and Tonic getting shared out all over the shop 🤣

1 hour ago, Marshmallo said:

For a lot of people this is exactly how they felt and why they are clinging on to restrictions even now when it’s nothing like it was then. Even for me the first few weeks were enjoyable, my workload was significantly reduced and I was at home every day and it was a nice change. After those few weeks though I hated it because I missed friends and family. For people who don’t enjoy social interactions it would have been bliss.

1 hour ago, Tynierose said:

This whole pandemic has shown scarily how many absolute dangers there are in society.

Worryingly a lot of them in influential posts or have the media's eye.  Just look at those independent sage weirdos as an example.

Even more worryingly is that other scientific groups are 'inspired' by Independent SAGE's success in securing constant media attention for its utter bullshit claims, and are trying the same trick for their own pet interests:

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2021/jun/20/head-of-independent-sage-to-launch-international-climate-change-group

Indeed the last week has already seen this latest, malevolent bunch of weirdos taking over the nightly Sridhar/Gurdasani news slot to try and claim that every gust of wind/summer thunderstorm/sunny day is yet another ALARMING demonstration of the climate CRISIS engulfing the UK. 

I doubt that the hysterical media shrieking and public manipulation deployed during this pandemic are going anywhere; the threat will simply be switched back and forth as circumstances allow. 

1 hour ago, No_Problemo said:

Generally, people committing crimes have been completely failed by society. 

Most crimes can be placed in an important social context but the claim above is wild fucking nonsense that devalues human agency. 

12 minutes ago, virginton said:

Even more worryingly is that other scientific groups are 'inspired' by Independent SAGE's success in securing constant media attention for its utter bullshit claims, and are trying the same trick for their own pet interests:

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2021/jun/20/head-of-independent-sage-to-launch-international-climate-change-group

Indeed the last week has already seen this latest, malevolent bunch of weirdos taking over the nightly Sridhar/Gurdasani news slot to try and claim that every gust of wind/summer thunderstorm/sunny day is yet another ALARMING demonstration of the climate CRISIS engulfing the UK. 

I doubt that the hysterical media shrieking and public manipulation deployed during this pandemic are going anywhere; the threat will simply be switched back and forth as circumstances allow. 

I'm looking forward to being placed under house arrest due to air pollution levels. Coming to a city near you in 2025, maybe.

2 hours ago, Marshmallo said:

In a way, lockdown has been brilliant for me professionally. It gave me time to write more grant applications than ever before, more papers. I have won more funding in the last year than I have ever before. 

But no way in hell do I want it to carry on (lockdown that is) . I want my normal life back. 

1 hour ago, virginton said:

Most crimes can be placed in an important social context but the claim above is wild fucking nonsense that devalues human agency. 

No it isn’t, look at the percentage of prisoners who have experienced adverse childhood experiences. Improve the lives of children and crimes committed, caused by this trauma will decrease.  

Of course, there are outliers to this. 

9 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

Fortunately for criminals, there seems to be no shortage of people willing to bat for them.

I am not one of them and I'm not buying into this rather weird "criminals are victims too" argument at all.

Some people are just bad to the bone.

Let's leave it at that as we'll not find common ground on this.

Some people are, most aren’t.
You have no empathy for people who have had horrific childhoods, that’s up to you. 

There is a huge difference between someone who has committed murder or rape to those charged with shoplifting or breach of the peace. 

Anyway, we should probably get back to COVID!

Edited by No_Problemo

8 minutes ago, oaksoft said:Fortunately for criminals, there seems to be no shortage of people willing to bat for them.

I am not one of them and I'm not buying into this rather weird "criminals are victims too" argument at all.

Some people are just bad to the bone.

Let's leave it at that as we'll not find common ground on this.

I agree that some people are just bad to the bone. Within the criminal justice system they are the minority, but do exist. 

2 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

It must be great to be a criminal and have so many people prepared to make excuses for you.

I’m really not sure where you are going with this.

The people we are talking about are being punished by the restriction of their liberty.  What we were talking about was how we educate and rehabilitate them, as some people were complaining about them being referred to as “clients”.

Anything less than being brought into line with England on 9 August will be a disgrace. I mean, it already is considering we were ahead of their curve.

3 hours ago, Marshmallo said:

Not usually one for the dull wee anecdotes but the Queen of the Lovejoys is on my train up to Aberdeen. Older woman accosted a young lad for not wearing a mask, said she had spares and tried to give him one of the spares, he said no thanks and she said he was a danger to every passenger on the train. She moved seat and grassed him to the conductor.

Wonder how often this is happening. 

I'd say if you've decided to sit in a train to go somewhere, you can't be that bothered about virus transmission given how close people are to each other, in most cases for over the time it takes for the virus to be passed on if you are sitting in someone's company. 

A piddly wee mask isn't going to do anything in that situation. Otherwise office workers would be encouraged to go back into the office with masks on. 

44 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

I think that actual Sage are giving them a run for their money this week.

1 in 3 dead and a cull of cats and dogs.

You can't even be angry with this stuff anymore. :lol:

The one benefit of the doubt you can give is that SAGE is a huge spectrum of folk, and this was put out only by one tiny, diddy subcommittee. Even one or two of the 'Independent SAGE' psychopaths, like Michie and Reicher, also sit on the real SAGE.

It is pointless output though, which is literally just covering any possible base regardless of the extreme probabilities behind it. If such a thing is possible for Covid, it's possible for all other respiratory viruses that circulate in humans. It needs to be reinforced that there is precisely nothing special about Covid, particularly now in a highly immune population.

Remember as well that there is a chance alien invaders could come and eradicate humanity!