Coronavirus (COVID-19)

11 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

The quote you posted does not say she visited twice, it says she visited once and they would be "willing to facilitate a plan" for further visits.

This will be my last post on this topic. Anyone defending the government in this situation needs to take a step back and think about what they're saying.

I'm not defending the Government, as I said, I think they're wrong. I just watched the interview on iplayer, and she's obviously upset and I think understandably confused. She arrived on day 0, met her Dad on day 1, will have a test on day 2, result on day three and from what the Government said will see her dad that day, then another test on day 8 and another visit. It's wrong, but we might as well try to get the facts right.

Edited by welshbairn

Just now, williemillersmoustache said:

Yes I answered this before and said I would like the case rate to be much lower and I think mask wearing, ventilation and social distancing should remain.

It's easy to fall into the "if not now when" hysteria but you should know how much money has been spend on focus grouping that line to push all your little buttons into a panic.

Stated without a hint of irony; the most unintentionally hilarious post on the entire thread. 

1 hour ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

I think it has been adequately answered by a number of other posters.

Interestingly, you advised me to take a step back yesterday for the sake of my mental health, and now you are seeking to drag me back in.  It’s almost as if your concern for me wasn’t genuine. 

1 minute ago, williemillersmoustache said:

Yes I answered this before and said I would like the case rate to be much lower and I think mask wearing, ventilation and social distancing should remain.

It's easy to fall into the "if not now when" hysteria but you should know how much money has been spend on focus grouping that line to push all your little buttons into a panic.

Bizarre comment to accuse someone of panicking literally a sentence after saying mask wearing and social distancing should remain, presumably without limit of time or criteria given you haven't specified as such.

As for your answer, yeah. As I thought, suitably vague and plenty of wiggle room that you can easily continue to say 'that's still not good enough' indefinitely.

1 minute ago, virginton said:

Stated without a hint of irony; the most unintentionally hilarious post on the entire thread. 

The irony of all the people who appear to have spent the entire pandemic calling other people "Lovejoys" when the pearls have never been clutched so firmly in history this morning.

2 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Is that not exactly who people are complaining about with the posts on this? Certainly is for me. The government that you are speaking about are the ones making these rules.

By "holding to account" I mean more than spending all day, every day, on here shouting into an echo chamber and red-dotting anyone who doesn't toe the current approved opinion on the day's news. Life is never black and whitwe, and white-knighting this lass who, at best, tried to game the system to see her father quicker* and failed, is just the latest vehicle for the usual crew on here. 

*Which, let's face it, most of us would do in the circumstances, so no judgment there. That it didn't work out is simply a symptom of travel restrictions changing on a daily basis. 

37 minutes ago, Barney Rubble said:

She was interviewed live on the Nine last night, and confirmed that she visited on day 1 and may be permitted to visit again on day 8 subject to negative test results.

So only one visit so far with a potential second visit to come.

Distressing enough that her father is near death, but it does not bear thinking about what being confined alone in a hotel a few miles away for ten days without direct access to support or comfort must be doing to her spirits in these circumstances.

It's plain wrong on so many grounds.

Im sure she’ll get comfort watching Jason Leitch talk condescendingly about these sorts of cases and take real solace from knowing its just because the government care?

5 minutes ago, williemillersmoustache said:

The irony of all the people who appear to have spent the entire pandemic calling other people "Lovejoys" when the pearls have never been clutched so firmly in history this morning.

^^^ word salad

4 minutes ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

By "holding to account" I mean more than spending all day, every day, on here shouting into an echo chamber and red-dotting anyone who doesn't toe the current approved opinion on the day's news.

What specifically is it that you expect people to do over and above discussing it online and debating the issues? Bear in mind that this government has currently many of the more direct types of protest illegal under covid rules.

Edited by craigkillie

3 minutes ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

By "holding to account" I mean more than spending all day, every day, on here shouting into an echo chamber and red-dotting anyone who doesn't toe the current approved opinion on the day's news. Life is never black and whitwe, and white-knighting this lass who, at best, tried to game the system to see her father quicker* and failed, is just the latest vehicle for the usual crew on here. 

*Which, let's face it, most of us would do in the circumstances, so no judgment there. That it didn't work out is simply a symptom of travel restrictions changing on a daily basis. 

What do you propose?  Both governments that are making the decisions affecting the majority of posters on this site  have lengthy terms left and are pretty much untouchable in their respective parliaments, all due to issues other than Covid.

14 minutes ago, Wee Bully said:

I think it has been adequately answered by a number of other posters.

Interestingly, you advised me to take a step back yesterday for the sake of my mental health, and now you are seeking to drag me back in.  It’s almost as if your concern for me wasn’t genuine. 

I was interested to see if the latest story had changed your viewpoint and didn’t want to not tag you as I feel that’s cowardly, but fair enough point taken.

10 minutes ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

Hold them to account how? It’s an interesting tale considering every mention of voting for another party, or writing to an MP/MSP on this thread is instantly pounced upon by many with “I’m sure they’ll miss your vote” type comments. Other than rioting in Westminster/Holyrood I’m not sure what you’re hoping for.

10 hours ago, jimbaxters said:

So much for that. Keeping it at 5 days quarantine for all UK arrivals for another month. Probably bin my flights now.

Would isolating at home for 5 days be a big problem re work or something? Tough news anyway. 

13 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

^^^ can’t comprehend simple language.  Uses meaningless phrase to deflect.

Simple language is the part of the problem with what WMM is saying in the first place.

It's all very vague to go 'restrictions should continue, mask wearing should continue, I want cases lower' to set out why we shouldn't reopen but upon asking what his specific tipping points are to accept things can go back to normal, simply won't give anything.

At least when you made an arse of it with the death toll figures, you put a specific number on it.

Edited by djchapsticks

14 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Would isolating at home for 5 days be a big problem re work or something? Tough news anyway. 

Timing is a bit rubbish pal. Would need to try to wangle a couple of extra days. Had stupidly assumed they would lift it. Not sure what to do. Thanks.