Coronavirus (COVID-19)

7 minutes ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

Yes, I take your point.

I think she likes to go with the ‘safety-first’ message and only relaxing AFTER Boris has made some changes.

It really makes a nonsense of the separate country approach. For something like this it should be on a UK basis especially as the game changing vaccines came from a UK initiative.

Anyway, we are where we are.

Yes, especially if people can travel freely between England and abroad and England and Scotland.

Again though, why is she not being held to account on this by our so called media and opposition ?

6 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

1,179* new cases of COVID-19 reported  (1044 in yesterday's figures. 1686 one week ago)

28,268* new tests for COVID-19 that reported results

4.8% of these were positive (5.6% in yesterday's figures. 6% one week ago)

9 new reported death(s) of people who have tested positive (7 yesterday, 7 one week ago)

63 people were in intensive care yesterday with recently confirmed COVID-19 (63 in yesterday's figures. 51 one week ago)

474 people were in hospital yesterday with recently confirmed COVID-19 (472 in yesterday's figures. 529 one week ago)

4,002,903 people have received the first dose of the Covid vaccination and 3,125,690 have received their second dose

* Public Health Scotland (PHS) has undertaken work to improve their COVID-19 reporting process to ensure they continue to provide the most accurate and timely information. As a result of this, today’s testing figures covering the latest 24 hours will include a small number of tests notified between 12:00am and 5:15am on 27 July that would have been reported in yesterday’s daily figures. This is due to the transition to a new reporting schedule including cases up to 12am on day of reporting; there is no double counting in the cumulative totals reported today.

Eph0Ee_U8AAJn5Z.jpg

6 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Thinking about it, we'll never get rid of Covid so technically there will be infinite waves surely?

Correct. This is Leitch running on fumes. We don't have multiple news articles each year warning of the next wave of the flu, we target specific demographics and get them to take a vaccine. If you read what Leitch says, that's pretty much what will happen and he'll be packed away neatly into a box, hopefully one that will never open again. 

27 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

The elephant in the room here is the bizarre attitude of the Scottish Gov.

NS has once again just reiterated that "nobody should be going abroad on holiday just now", which is a ridiculous statement to make as there's no valid or acceptable reason as to "why" they shouldn't .

This "variant" stuff is just nonsense as that basically means that we'll NEVER be able to go abroad again if we can't go now after being double jagged as it's universally accepted that covid is now with us forever, so what's likely to change ???

The SG / SNP are playing a very dangerous game here as they're likely to piss off much of their core support (people like myself) with this incoherent messaging and strategy, although the opposition parties and media don't appear to be holding them to account on this, which is even more bizarre !!

The bottom line is that people are now getting really sick of being held hostage in a country which has such a poor infrastructure for "staycations" and a hospitality industry which is booting the arse right out of it with extreme profiteering, and as such I'm sure the straw that breaks the camels back won't be too far away should we keep foreign travel closed off while England remove all their remaining restrictions.

Was it not yourself who said last summer was normal because you managed to get in a quick 9 at the pitch and putt?

Daily Cases Update:  Day 22 of dropping cases and down another stonking 5.79% to 175.6   Infectivity drops 3 ticks to 6.6%.  We are now down 58.67% from the peak 3 weeks ago.   I suspect the bottom line now may be around 1000 cases per day.  That would level us out at around 135 cases per 100K.  Hard to see it getting any lower with little restrictions and still 375,000 unvaccinated. The fact that no mainland council has as yet breached the 100 marker backs that up.

An improvement of 2,245 up from 2,031 1st Vaccines.  Still circa 375,000 to go.

Total Cases Scotland 7 days from 19th July to 25th July  were  10,188 now 9,598 down 5.79%.  Positivity was 6.9%  now 6.6%.   Cases per 100k were 186.4  now 175.6

Home Nations Daily update  :  UK Average  461.9 to 417.0 down 9.72%, England 499.4 to 447.6 down 10.37%, Wales  185.8 to 176.3 down 5.11%, Northern Ireland  518.6 to 521.8  up 0.62%

So that's the UK down for 3 days in a row.  Scotland 22 days, Wales 5 days, England 3 days and Northern Ireland still rising but much lower.

Latest European figures today. Spain  385.3 to 383.4, Netherlands  232.5 to 216.5,  Portugal  217.7 to 213.9, France 194.7 to 207.9, Greece  174.2 to 180.1, Ireland 173.9 to 174.0, Russia 114.4 to 113.9  No other major European nation above 100.    Poland, Romania, Hungary, Slovakia, Bosnia, Albania, North Macedonia, Ukraine, Czech Rep, Bulgaria, Germany, Latvia, Serbia, Moldova, Slovenia, Croatia, Austria, Norway & Sweden are all under 30 cases per 100K. Where are their 3rd waves ?

Scotland peaks in Wave 3 at 425.1 for 27th June to 3rd July, (UK was 229.9) . Cases that day were 23,222 and positivity 10.8%

Scotland previously peaked in wave 2 at 301.9 for figures 29th Dec to 4th Jan, (UK was 642.1)    Cases that day were 16,496 and test positivity rate was 11.9%  

Council progress in last 24 Hours as follows.

Click cases by neighbourhood to see the spread on the geographical map. 
https://public.tableau.com/profile/phs.covid.19#!/vizhome/COVID-19DailyDashboard_15960160643010/Overview

North Lanarkshire   245.6 to 233.9 

West Dunbartonshire   240.0 to 227.5 

Glasgow City  227.3 to 225.0

East Lothian  228.9 to 216.9

Midlothian  226.5 to 213.6 

Inverclyde 194.7 to 203.7 

Dundee City   201.6 to 192.2  22nd day in a row of dropping. 

City Of Edinburgh  204.5 to 186.5  22nd day in a row of dropping.

West Lothian  199.1 to 186.1

South Lanarkshire  184.8 to 180.2

East Ayrshire  178.5 to 180.1  

Fife  190.3 to 171.9

Clackmannanshire   181.3 to 171.6  

Stirling   170.1 to 166.9

Falkirk  177.5 to 166.3

Renfrewshire  166.1 to 164.4

East Renfrewshire  184.3 to 162.4 Magnificent 12% fall

Argyll & Bute  175.6 to 159.2

North Ayrshire   140.8 to 154.2  Up over 16% in last 2 days

Aberdeen City   161.5 to 151.1

Scottish  Borders  154.5 to 150.1 

South Ayrshire   150.7 to 148.0  

Moray  143.1 to 140.0

Western Isles    150.9 to 135.8

Shetland Islands  153.0 to 135.5

Dumfries & Galloway  153.8 to 135.5

Perth & Kinross    150.7 to 133.6 

East Dunbartonshire    149.9 to 133.3 Unreal 24% drop in 2 days

Angus  153.7 to 130.4  Unreal 24% drop in 2 days

Highlands  134.2 to 128.7

Aberdeenshire    113.1 to 110.4

Orkney Islands  53.6 to 44.6

1 hour ago, welshbairn said:

Think European travel will get sorted soon too, probably not tomorrow though. The US is a much bigger problem, they don't even have a National proof of vaccine certificate, some States only offer a scribbled letter from a doctor and others are trying to make them illegal. Along with a total lack of reciprocity the Government would get seriously hammered for opening up to Americans anytime soon.

I was out for dinner with some friends last night and we were talking about proof of vaccination as we need it for a wedding we're all attending in Kentucky next week,  otherwise you need to wear a mask. They all showed their flimsy little piece of card that a 5 year old could've produced, and they were amazed at my NHS letter that I got before I buggered off over here. It would be incredibly easy to forge theirs

15 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

Was it not yourself who said last summer was normal because you managed to get in a quick 9 at the pitch and putt?

I did and it was 18 holes at the real Golf course rather than pitch and putt, however I don't see how that ties in with not being permitted to travel abroad for no good reason ?

If there's a risk of variants this year, then there's likely to be a risk of variants next year and the year after that etc, etc so is this us forever ??

Edited by WATTOO

10 minutes ago, ClathyDave said:

I was out for dinner with some friends last night and we were talking about proof of vaccination as we need it for a wedding we're all attending in Kentucky next week,  otherwise you need to wear a mask. They all showed their flimsy little piece of card that a 5 year old could've produced, and they were amazed at my NHS letter that I got before I buggered off over here. It would be incredibly easy to forge theirs

I just read this after your post. It's weird how America is so advanced technologically in some respects and so backward in others, like transport infrastructure and government bureaucracy. 

https://spectrumnews1.com/oh/columbus/news/2021/05/17/ohio-vaccine-passport-covid19-digital-verify-coronavirus-qr-code

https://www.mynews13.com/fl/orlando/news/2021/04/02/florida-vaccine-passport-ban-executive-order

Edited by welshbairn

1 hour ago, Elixir said:

Another big L for the Loser Party.

Need to see how this plays for Switzerland. Not in the EU obviously. What is the script with traveling from England to Scotland? As a way round it would I be able to go from Switzerland to England and England to Scotland?

11 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

I did and it was 18 holes at the real Golf course rather than pitch and putt, however I don't see how that ties in with not being permitted to travel abroad for no good reason ?

If there's a risk of variants this year, then there's likely to be a risk of variants next year and the year after that etc, etc so is this us forever ??

Just seems like you don't give a rat's ass about restrictions till they impact you personally.

1 minute ago, Ross. said:

Need to see how this plays for Switzerland. Not in the EU obviously. What is the script with traveling from England to Scotland? As a way round it would I be able to go from Switzerland to England and England to Scotland?

If you've got a Swiss Vax passport I think it will be recognised at the same time as the EU one, think it's just technical stuff that's holding it up. And using England as a stopover would remove any problems if Scotland has different rules but I doubt they will. The only difference now is that you have to pay more for tests if you first arrive at a Scottish Airport rather than an English one.

1 hour ago, superbigal said:

For people who have not been vaccinated, the five most common complaints about the Delta variant, which has become the dominant strain in many countries  are:

• headache,
  • sore throat,
  • runny nose,
  • fever,
  • a persistent cough.

For those who have received only one dose of a coronavirus vaccine, the most frequent symptoms are:

• headache,
  • runny nose,
  • sore throat,
  • sneezing,
  • a persistent cough.

Not only has the order changed, but fever (which is one of the most recognisable symptoms) is no longer in the top five, and has been replaced by sneezing.

People who have been fully vaccinated currently report as the most common complaints:

• headaches,
  • a runny nose,
  • sneezing,
  • sore throat,
  • loss of smell.

Here too, the order has changed. Additionally, not only fever, but also a persistent cough has disappeared from the list. However, loss of smell – which was also a well-known symptom of the original strain of the virus – reappeared.

The findings come from a large-scale study conducted by the King’s College London University in collaboration with health science company ZOE, based on data from more than four million people who use ZOE’s COVID Symptom Study app worldwide.

Hmm

Last Friday I got what I thought was a cold - runny/blocked nose and sneezing constantly, plus feeling a bit worn out. I didn't have a cough or a sore throat, and only really started coughing a bit yesterday, after I'd spent several days not breathing properly. Outside of that and feeling a bit tired which I put down to not sleeping properly in the heat I was fine, and I was at work as normal too on the days I was in. 

I get hayfever but it's been fine this year even in the good weather we've had, so I don't think it was a sudden burst of that. I've had one vaccine and my next is in two weeks. Would anyone recommend getting a covid test in this situation?

4 minutes ago, Snafu said:

East Dunbartonshire    149.9 to 133.3 Unreal 24% drop in 2 days

Probably the top area for vaccination rollout in Scotland

97.3% on 1st dose and 78.8 on 2nd for vaccinating the over 18's

Only around 15,000 people away from completing their vaccination rollout via 2nd jag.

I can't imagine any area will be able "complete" their vaccination rollout - even without people choosing not to get it, there will be a small but non-zero number of people who cannot get it for medical reasons. I have no idea how many that is across the country, but there is no way we'll be getting to 100%.

3 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

If you've got a Swiss Vax passport I think it will be recognised at the same time as the EU one, think it's just technical stuff that's holding it up. And using England as a stopover would remove any problems if Scotland has different rules but I doubt they will. The only difference now is that you have to pay more for tests if you first arrive at a Scottish Airport rather than an English one.

This was pretty much my expectation. Cheap flight to Manchester and hire a car from there seems the worst case scenario.

5 minutes ago, Snafu said:

The Governments are already looking to co-operate on the steps towards easing restrictions on traveling in and out of the UK, it can only be a positive.

https://www.scotsman.com/health/coronavirus/announcement-expected-today-over-waiving-quarantine-for-fully-vaccinated-visitors-to-scotland-3326594

Announcement expected today over waiving quarantine for fully-vaccinated visitors to Scotland

Fully-vaccinated visitors to Scotland from the EU and US would not need to quarantine under plans being discussed today between the Scottish and UK governments.

Mr Swinney told BBC Radio Scotland: "We are engaged in discussions with the United Kingdom Government on those very questions and there will be further discussions in the course of today, as I understand it, involving Scottish ministers.

"We are very open to that discussion.

"We've got to take a set of gradual, well-evidence steps in our journey to the relaxation of the Covid restrictions and to enabling people to live lives more closely aligned to what we experienced before Covid.

"So the government in Scotland is engaged in all of those conversations to make sure we take the right steps in the right fashion to make sure that people can get on with their lives, and ministers will be involved in those conversations today."

But a Scottish Government spokesperson sounded a more cautious note.

They said: “We aim to come to a four nations position on international travel restrictions wherever possible.

“However, our current position remains international travel for holidaying purposes remains risky and subject to sudden change.

"We have said before people should think very carefully about travelling – especially so given the prevalence and unpredictable nature of variants of concern.”

In what way is it risky ?

"variants" are going to be appearing while covid continues so that means indefinitely / forever, so does that mean we can never go abroad ever again ??

8 minutes ago, Snafu said:

The Governments are already looking to co-operate on the steps towards easing restrictions on traveling in and out of the UK, it can only be a positive.

https://www.scotsman.com/health/coronavirus/announcement-expected-today-over-waiving-quarantine-for-fully-vaccinated-visitors-to-scotland-3326594

Announcement expected today over waiving quarantine for fully-vaccinated visitors to Scotland

Fully-vaccinated visitors to Scotland from the EU and US would not need to quarantine under plans being discussed today between the Scottish and UK governments.

Mr Swinney told BBC Radio Scotland: "We are engaged in discussions with the United Kingdom Government on those very questions and there will be further discussions in the course of today, as I understand it, involving Scottish ministers.

"We are very open to that discussion.

"We've got to take a set of gradual, well-evidence steps in our journey to the relaxation of the Covid restrictions and to enabling people to live lives more closely aligned to what we experienced before Covid.

"So the government in Scotland is engaged in all of those conversations to make sure we take the right steps in the right fashion to make sure that people can get on with their lives, and ministers will be involved in those conversations today."

But a Scottish Government spokesperson sounded a more cautious note.

They said: “We aim to come to a four nations position on international travel restrictions wherever possible.

“However, our current position remains international travel for holidaying purposes remains risky and subject to sudden change.

"We have said before people should think very carefully about travelling – especially so given the prevalence and unpredictable nature of variants of concern.”

Get that tae f**k johnny boy

26 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

I can't imagine any area will be able "complete" their vaccination rollout - even without people choosing not to get it, there will be a small but non-zero number of people who cannot get it for medical reasons. I have no idea how many that is across the country, but there is no way we'll be getting to 100%.

The only contraindications listed for these vaccines are people who have had a severe allergic reaction to a vaccine in the past. Similarly, those who had a severe allergic reaction to the first dose are contraindicated for the second dose.

The idea that there are a significant number of CEV people who are contraindicated for these vaccines is pie in the sky nonsense