Coronavirus (COVID-19)

8 minutes ago, virginton said:

Congrats to the Labour Party for contriving to have a worse pandemic than the Government, despite not having responsibility for 100,000+ deaths. A bunch of utterly gormless knickerwetters who shriek 'reckless!!!!1111!!!!' about anything short of a blanket lockdown. 

There is absolutely no credible reason to quarantine anyone who has been fully vaccinated. It is mind-bogglingly stupid to suggest otherwise. 

Jesus. Fucking variants patter again. Can someone also tell thicko Rayner that the testing requirements still apply, even if quarantine does not. 

It's quite simple to ensure only those meeting the vaccine requirements are entered - the airline denies boarding if proof is not provided. Border Force conduct checks and any passengers found to have entered that do not meet the requirements are refused entry and deported on the next available flight to their country of origin. 

Meanwhile, the airline that carried them is fined heavily for carrying passengers that are not entitled to enter the UK. No different to what happens if the airline delivers passengers without the correct visa, really. Airlines can and do deny boarding where passengers do not meet the requirements of travel, so I am comfortable they are capable of policing this too.

Edited by Michael W

Currently the UK does not even make the list of countries recommended to be allowed into the EU with Vaccinations.

https://ec.europa.eu/info/live-work-travel-eu/coronavirus-response/travel-during-coronavirus-pandemic_en#restrictions-on-travel-from-third-countries-to-the-eu

This list is due to be reviewed tomorrow.  It is reviewed once a fortnight.  The key to getting on the list is (Bolded the important one)

• the health situation
  • the ability to apply containment measures during travel
  • reciprocity considerations

Individual EU countries are still allowed to make their own decisions, hence why Spain and Portugal allow Uk tourists but the likes of Belgium does not.

Current friendly list of non EU countries.

EU Member States should gradually lift the travel restrictions at the external borders for residents of the following third countries: 

• Albania
  • Armenia
  • Australia
  • Azerbaijan
  • Bosnia and Herzegovina
  • Brunei Darussalam
  • Canada
  • Israel
  • Japan
  • Jordan
  • Lebanon
  • Montenegro
  • New Zealand
  • Qatar
  • Republic of Moldova
  • Republic of North Macedonia
  • Saudi Arabia
  • Serbia
  • Singapore
  • South Korea
  • Ukraine
  • United States of America
  • China, subject to confirmation of reciprocity
Edited by superbigal

6 minutes ago, Michael W said:

Jesus. Fucking variants patter again. Can someone also tell thicko Rayner that the testing requirements still apply, even if quarantine does not. 

It's quite simple to ensure only those meeting the vaccine requirements are entered - the airline denies boarding if proof is not provided. Border Force conduct checks and any passengers found to have entered that do not meet the requirements are refused entry and deported on the next available flight to their country of origin. 

Meanwhile, the airline that carried them is fined heavily for carrying passengers that are not entitled to enter the UK. No different to what happens if the airline delivers passengers without the correct visa, really. Airlines can and do deny boarding where passengers do not meet the requirements of travel, so I am comfortable they are capable of policing this too.

They've basically sub contracted immigration control to the airlines, who are forced to do it for free. Border Force don't have anyway near the manpower or technology to cope with covid stuff alongside all the new rules post Brexit.

11 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

My 2nd vaccine is on the 12th of August and will be exactly 10 weeks since my first.  Feels like a lot longer than that already.

Just booked mine for the exact same date. My 8 weeks is up on Monday 2nd, got an appointment through for 10am on the 9th but the first evening I could get anywhere was the 12th.

It seems odd to be to be criticising under under 30s for low take up when we’re not trying to get as many double jabbed as close to 8 weeks as possible.

It seems like the under 40s target being missed has as much to do with appointments not being available as people not being arsed.

12 hours ago, Elixir said:

Every move forward is a good thing, but any testing requirements for fully vaccinated people simply must be binned. For starters, there won't be any real recovery if inbound tourists have to take any sort of post-arrival test. There also won't be any tangible recovery until the pre-departure test prior to returning to the UK is binned for British travellers either. This is a massive hindrance in terms of confidence and what if you test positive while abroad, then there's the additional cost. It would also make UK residents second-class travelers as the US and most of the EU don't require any pre-departure test if you're fully vaccinated. So they could visit here and return home without that fannying about, yet we would still have to test while abroad prior to returning. A nonsense.

The once thriving Scottish and UK travel/aviation industries are worth far more to our respective economies than some wee weirdo government mates making a short buck, and they need reigned in accordingly.

While this is true, there was also acknowledgement that they would simply have to reach a point where they then started falling. They just weren't sure when this would occur.

Being honest, I've no idea of what i'm supposed to do if i want to go on my holidays to Spain in September.

Do I need a test before i leave here ? or is the test to get back in the country which I've got to arrange over there ?

Also, does the testing requirements mean that a 3 day break isn't actually possible ??

I've attempted reading up on this but really none the wiser. 

Can anyone confirm what the current rules and regulations / requirements are when travelling from Scotland to Spain ? and if I do require a test, who provides this and how do I go about it ??

Just now, PedroMoutinho said:

Just booked mine for the exact same date. My 8 weeks is up on Monday 2nd, got an appointment through for 10am on the 9th but the first evening I could get anywhere was the 12th.

It seems odd to be to be criticising under under 30s for low take up when we’re not trying to get as many double jabbed as close to 8 weeks as possible.

It seems like the under 40s target being missed has as much to do with appointments not being available as people not being arsed.

My 8 weeks was up yesterday, got an appointment for Saturday but planning on going to the football on Sunday so just going to a drop in centre tonight or tomorrow.

1 minute ago, welshbairn said:

They've basically sub contracted immigration control to the airlines, who are forced to do it for free. Border Force don't have anyway near the manpower or technology to cope with covid stuff alongside all the new rules post Brexit.

It's a very successful approach, to he fair. If you're flying to the US, they'll check your ESTA for example before you board. Don't have it and you'll be kicked off the flight as the airline is liable if they carry you and you get denied entry for not having the appropriate documents. 

No question BF can't cope at the moment - they can't, for a number of reasons. 

Just now, WATTOO said:

Being honest, I've no idea of what i'm supposed to do if i want to go on my holidays to Spain in September.

Do I need a test before i leave here ? or is the test to get back in the country which I've got to arrange over there ?

Also, does the testing requirements mean that a 3 day break isn't actually possible ??

Can anyone confirm what the current rules and regulations / requirements are when travelling from Scotland to Spain ? and if I do require a test, who provides this and how do I go about it ??

There's no point in planning anything now, the rules change every week. If it was me I'd book the holiday now making sure the flights and hotel are refundable or at the very least postponeable. When I went via Portugal about a month ago I needed a pre flight PCR, another PCR to go from Portugal to Spain and back, an antigen test before flying back here, PCR test on days 2 and 8 after getting back, and 10 days quarantine, f**k knows why, double jagged on top of all the tests, I was probably the safest person on the planet.

16 minutes ago, superbigal said:

Currently the UK does not even make the list of countries recommended to be allowed into the EU with Vaccinations.

https://ec.europa.eu/info/live-work-travel-eu/coronavirus-response/travel-during-coronavirus-pandemic_en#restrictions-on-travel-from-third-countries-to-the-eu

This list is due to be reviewed tomorrow.  It is reviewed once a fortnight.  The key to getting on the list is (Bolded the important one)

• the health situation
  • the ability to apply containment measures during travel
  • reciprocity considerations

Individual EU countries are still allowed to make their own decisions, hence why Spain and Portugal allow Uk tourists but the likes of Belgium does not.

Current friendly list of non EU countries.

EU Member States should gradually lift the travel restrictions at the external borders for residents of the following third countries: 

• Albania
  • Armenia
  • Australia
  • Azerbaijan
  • Bosnia and Herzegovina
  • Brunei Darussalam
  • Canada
  • Israel
  • Japan
  • Jordan
  • Lebanon
  • Montenegro
  • New Zealand
  • Qatar
  • Republic of Moldova
  • Republic of North Macedonia
  • Saudi Arabia
  • Serbia
  • Singapore
  • South Korea
  • Ukraine
  • United States of America
  • China, subject to confirmation of reciprocity

I know of someone who was due to go to Bulgaria. He was all set to go when Bulgaria added the UK to their version of the red list. Holiday scrubbed. 

This is exactly why I've not even thought about a foreign holiday this year. 

4 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/spain/entry-requirements

https://www.gov.scot/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-getting-tested/

Did you try any government website or did you just want to have a wee moan?

Just now, scottsdad said:

I know of someone who was due to go to Bulgaria. He was all set to go when Bulgaria added the UK to their version of the red list. Holiday scrubbed. 

This is exactly why I've not even thought about a foreign holiday this year. 

That was quite funny, not for your friend obviously, but about 5 minutes after the UK put Bulgaria on their Green list, Bulgaria said fuckthat and put us on red. :lol:

9 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

There's no point in planning anything now, the rules change every week. If it was me I'd book the holiday now making sure the flights and hotel are refundable or at the very least postponeable. When I went via Portugal about a month ago I needed a pre flight PCR, another PCR to go from Portugal to Spain and back, an antigen test before flying back here, PCR test on days 2 and 8 after getting back, and 10 days quarantine, f**k knows why, double jagged on top of all the tests, I was probably the safest person on the planet.

Yes, i've actually had two holidays booked for quite a while (going on 18 months) as have just been moving the flights forward each time. So far I've had Poland 3 times, Costa Del Sol twice and Catalonia three times all from the original two which were booked and paid for prior to the pandemic. The hotels are always on a free cancellation and pay on arrival basis so no issues with that at all.

As you say, things keep changing but I'm still none the wiser as to whether I need a test to leave the country to go to Spain (why would you) but assume I'd still need to take one to get back ?

Despite Moonsters links (and snide remarks) I'm still rather confused about what is required and why ?

1 minute ago, WATTOO said:

Thanks for that, you really are such a nice person who must have lots of friends in the real world.

No problem. Lots of people have been baffled as to where they can find a covid test these days, they're like hens teeth, so it's only right to point the most vulnerable in society in the right direction. 

1 minute ago, WATTOO said:

Yes, i've actually had two holidays booked for quite a while (going on 18 months) as have just been moving the flights forward each time. So far I've had Poland 3 times, Costa Del Sol twice and Catalonia three times all from the original two which were booked and paid for prior to the pandemic. The hotels are always on a free cancellation and pay on arrival basis so no issues with that at all.

As you say, things keep changing but I'm still none the wiser as to whether I need a test to leave the country to go to Spain (why would you) but assume I'd still need to take one to get back ?

Despite Moonsters links (and snide remarks) I'm still rather confused about what is required and why ?

If you're not going to Spain till September there's no point in finding out the exact rules for today, they'll probably be different tomorrow.

2 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

On that link I sent you, the very first line under entry requirements says the following:

"The Spanish government requires all arrivals to Spain from the UK to present on entry a pre-travel declaration form and one of the following: a negative COVID-19 test; or proof of vaccination."

It helps to read the links through before declaring yourself confused.