Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Absolutely incredible that face masks, which spectacularly failed to prevent a second or third wave, may be being kept in order to attempt to prevent a fourth.

Whether we have a fourth wave or not, it will have absolutely nothing to do with whether or not people wear face coverings.

36 minutes ago, Aufc said:

Survived another day. Think that’s day 6. The wee man is now referring to the bush as “his little toilet” and hacked out a shite in it. Fucking magic. Wee dick is taking the piss now

He is turning into my cat 

If she comes out with some utter shite like 'you can order and sit at the bar, but when you're going for a pish you must (!) wear a face covering' then there's a better than evens chance that my head will explode.

Anyone notice what JL said today.
"Some kind of winter wave expected, we just don't know the scale of it" plus said some restrictions may have to return. 

I don’t listen to the dick now. I can’t remember who it was, but someone on this thread said he was an important person for explaining shite at the start. Now he’s just a damp squib.

I’d be surprised with no winter wave, it’s respiratory so they’d need to plan. Offer boosters to vulnerable and over 50’s as they do with the flu, and maybe reintroduce masks if they’re done away with. Beyond that get any other restrictions in the bin after the 9th.

For me, this mask issue is the elephant in the room. No defined end date or what data will constitute them being not required. Of course it’s all gotten political; we were in England last week and I gladly took the mask off but you still have shops, transport, unions basically saying the opposite of whatever the government were saying. Compliance was mixed and I certainly never wore it as I have never seen an ill fitted cotton rag being of any use.

Nicola will retain them as long as there’s a hint of what’s considered to be high infection rates (anything more than one case probably) or if it looks different to what Boris is advising, just to be different. She’ll only bin them when compliance totally evaporates but there’s a whole chunk of folk who would blindly wear them forever unless told otherwise.

Edited by deegee
Spelling error

Looks like double vaccinated non-UK travellers to the UK will be able to avoid quarantine from next month. Good. 

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2021/07/27/freedom-double-jabbed-uk-opens-world/?WT.mc_id=tmgliveapp_iosshare_AxhH3yZ4t8dC

Saying this, the yanks can f**k off until they lift the proclamation. 

42 minutes ago, Elixir said:

UNETHICAL EXPERIMENT!!!11

Meanwhile, the political activist 'independent SAGE' projections that had the likes of wee @TheJTS98 hoodwinked something awful:

IMG-20210727-223419.jpg

Oh dear. titter.png

I don’t trawl the ramblings of every government scientist but is there any evidence of any of them predicting case numbers not rising let alone a fall?  I certainly don’t recall the media reporting any of this or anyone (including scientists) even saying this was possible at any government briefing.  All the talk was of doubling times and how it wouldn’t take long for us to be back in the shit.

35 minutes ago, Michael W said:

Looks like double vaccinated non-UK travellers to the UK will be able to avoid quarantine from next month. Good. 

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2021/07/27/freedom-double-jabbed-uk-opens-world/?WT.mc_id=tmgliveapp_iosshare_AxhH3yZ4t8dC

Every move forward is a good thing, but any testing requirements for fully vaccinated people simply must be binned. For starters, there won't be any real recovery if inbound tourists have to take any sort of post-arrival test. There also won't be any tangible recovery until the pre-departure test prior to returning to the UK is binned for British travellers either. This is a massive hindrance in terms of confidence and what if you test positive while abroad, then there's the additional cost. It would also make UK residents second-class travelers as the US and most of the EU don't require any pre-departure test if you're fully vaccinated. So they could visit here and return home without that fannying about, yet we would still have to test while abroad prior to returning. A nonsense.

The once thriving Scottish and UK travel/aviation industries are worth far more to our respective economies than some wee weirdo government mates making a short buck, and they need reigned in accordingly.

2 minutes ago, Left Back said:

I don’t trawl the ramblings of every government scientist but is there any evidence of any of them predicting case numbers not rising let alone a fall?  I certainly don’t recall the media reporting any of this or anyone (including scientists) even saying this was possible at any government briefing.  All the talk was of doubling times and how it wouldn’t take long for us to be back in the shit.

While this is true, there was also acknowledgement that they would simply have to reach a point where they then started falling. They just weren't sure when this would occur.

2 hours ago, mizfit said:

I don’t listen to the dick now. I can’t remember who it was, but someone on this thread said he was an important person for explaining shite at the start. Now he’s just a damp squib.

I’d be surprised with no winter wave, it’s respiratory so they’d need to plan. Offer boosters to vulnerable and over 50’s as they do with the flu, and maybe reintroduce masks if they’re done away with. Beyond that get any other restrictions in the bin after the 9th.

Disregarding the acute stage of the pandemic, although winter is obviously more favourable for respiratory viruses, only some are notoriously bad, i.e. 2017/18, for a multitude of factors. Such is the level of immunity in the population now, there's an equally likely chance that Covid won't be that much of an issue this winter.

13 hours ago, Elixir said:

UNETHICAL EXPERIMENT!!!11

Meanwhile, the political activist 'independent SAGE' projections that had the likes of wee @TheJTS98 hoodwinked something awful:

IMG-20210727-223419.jpg

Oh dear. titter.png

I wonder what it will eventually take for people en-masse to actually disregard anything independent SAGE say. 

They have quite literally got nothing correct throughout the entire pandemic and yet a disturbing number of people continue to hang off their every word as if they are fonts of knowledge.

Do people think that they are same organisation as SAGE? Is that the issue? Because from what I've seen, though not perfect, SAGE have been a lot more accurate and reasonable in their modelling whereas independent SAGE are the fucking mental extremists in this entire scenario. Dangerous people who have a proven track record that their 'advice' should be wholly disregarded and mocked.

Edited by djchapsticks

1 hour ago, djchapsticks said:

I wonder what it will actually take for people en-masse to actually disregard anything independent SAGE say. 

They have quite literally got nothing correct throughout the entire pandemic and yet a disturbing number of people continue to hang off their every word as if they are fonts of knowledge.

Do people think that they are same organisation as SAGE? Is that the issue? Because from what I've seen, though not perfect, SAGE have been a lot more accurate and reasonable in their modelling whereas independent SAGE are the fucking mental extremists in this entire scenario. Dangerous people who have a proven track record that their 'advice' should be wholly disregarded and mocked.

Independent SAGE are savvy enough to sense a gap in the market to stoke up daft c***s fears in return to clicks, likes and media exposure. Because it’s speaking out against the UK Government it’s seen as palatable, but really they’re no better or more relevant than your average roaster with a loudspeaker standing at the top of Buchanan Street.

Deepti is immunosuppressed so she’s in it for herself, which is fair enough, but she’s doing it under the guise of science which isn’t fair enough.

Also, the argument that you can’t speak out against them because they’re scientists and I’m not is just shite too.

The PM of the Thaitanic as come out today and said that the pandemic will have peaked within 2 to 3 or maybe 4 weeks, and we will all be back to normal.  This as we have today hit a new high of over 16,000 cases 133 dead, we have only vaxed 5.2% of the population.  He said we would not be back to normal until 70% vaxed, which would be mid October.

My back of fag packet calculation, is that it will be actually 7 YEARS before we get to 70%, as we only vaxed 13,000 folk yesterday.

"Independent" SAGE's entire shtick is that the actual SAGE, which advises the government, is essentially compromised by its government advisory work. In other words, they simply back up what the government tells them to. They are therefore, at least in their own heads, there to provide opposition to the government by forming some sort of shadow governance body. 

The naming was a deliberate attempt to mislead the public, and I have seen a few slippages in the media where they have inadvertently called this group "SAGE". The "Independent" label is nothing other than an insult to actual SAGE in an attempt to discredit them. It's fine that people want to have alternative opinions, but this lots are essentially a pressure group that have been afforded far too much air time. 

For an organisation that is set up to be critical towards the government and its advisory group, iSAGE, or at least some of its members (particularly Gurdasani), are also very sensitive to being criticised. If you're going to dish it out and make all sorts of accusations, you need to take the heat when it comes back at you. 

Edited by Michael W

Guest Bob Mahelp
9 hours ago, Michael W said:

Yeap.

All this means nothing until it's reciprocal. There's absolutely no sign that the USA is going to lift the ban on UK citizens travelling there, and it's such a convoluted mess with EU countries that it's almost not worth travelling anywhere until it gets sorted out. 

2 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

Yeap.

All this means nothing until it's reciprocal. There's absolutely no sign that the USA is going to lift the ban on UK citizens travelling there, and it's such a convoluted mess with EU countries that it's almost not worth travelling anywhere until it gets sorted out. 

The US didn't lift the ban on the Schengen Zone either, which was quite revealing. Clearly, they are not bothered, even for fully vaccinated passengers. 

I get that they want to keep the Delta variant out, but that ship looks to have sailed for them. The only way to stop it is vaccination and they seem to have hit a massive brick wall there. 

It's the testing that puts me off more than anything, tbf. It's just too much hassle and additional cost - perhaps tolerable for a fortnight away somewhere, but short breaks can forget it. The tests will cost more than the flights. 

1 hour ago, SlipperyP said:

The PM of the Thaitanic as come out today and said that the pandemic will have peaked within 2 to 3 or maybe 4 weeks, and we will all be back to normal.  This as we have today hit a new high of over 16,000 cases 133 dead, we have only vaxed 5.2% of the population.  He said we would not be back to normal until 70% vaxed, which would be mid October.

My back of fag packet calculation, is that it will be actually 7 YEARS before we get to 70%, as we only vaxed 13,000 folk yesterday.

The SG likes this.